DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Going to the dark side......
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to the dark side......
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted
Well, after MUCH research, I've decided to dump my carbs and go with alky injection on my car. Won't list all the reasons here, but the main ones are fuel cost and engine cooling....for me anyway. So the plan is to finish getting the car tuned up on gas since I only have a baseline and that's it, then once I get my final numbers in, I'll do the conversion, and test again..... I need to do a few things to change over, so it's gonna take a bit to get it all done, but once it is I'll post my results here.

I do need some input though, for anybody currently running alky injection, can you post some pics of the front of your engines? I have very little room on mine due to dry sump tank nearby and oil pump, vac pump and crank trigger, water pump, radiator hoses.....Just need to get an idea of how/where I can mount the new fuel pump for the injection......

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of SuperPro54
posted Hide Post
clapping Welcome to the dark side. LOL

Posts: 109 | Location: Florida - Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I use this setup to mount the Ron's fuel pump, crank trigger pickup, alternator, and Star vac pump.

RPD Mount

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3154 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Found this one in my phone. Can take more & one of my wife’s cars setup later if you want. In this pic the vacuum pump isn’t mounted, it goes on the lookers right side of the engine above the alternator. Link to picture

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I'm looking at the partial RPD mount, but will have to wait until I have the parts to see if it will work for me...Like I said, I have a lot on the front of my engine and not a lot of room...forgot to mention front drive dizzy as well, and oil tank is taking up left side in front of the head.

the pic in my avatar is how my stuff is set up...what it doesn't show is the upper rad hose, lower rad hose......

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
That isn't that dark of a side. I ran injection for better than 20 years. Get back to me when you go efi and I can relate to the dark side. Lol

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Bucky,

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
No EFI for me.

Mark Goulette

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
No EFI for me.

I had to do it while I was still young enough to figure it out and patient enough to stick it out. It has not been without challenges.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
You might consider installing a Primer Plus system with your mfi to aid in starting, warm up and shut down at the end of the day.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
I was thinking EFI and/or Deep Staging when I read the title........ Then you could be like me! Deep Stage/Footbrake/EFI, whether I am racing in 10.00 Index or 8.90 Index! Smile

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Get a primer plus and it will save you a ton of fuel and it helps the oil. I have vacuum pump, fuel pump and alternator on the front. Tight fit in the dragster but it is the best fuel system I've ever ran.

Posts: 67 | Location: Pittsburgh | Registered: December 11, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
I use this setup to mount the Ron's fuel pump, crank trigger pickup, alternator, and Star vac pump.

RPD Mount

Lenny, I like that I am building a new car and i think i may just have to get one of those. Looks like that will make my life a lot easier!!

Posts: 33 | Location: waverly tn | Registered: February 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Parts are ordered, now it's a matter of getting all my recert stuff done and getting back to the track....

Damn the heat and humidity suck down here.......

Mark Goulette

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Just to rub it in a bit, it should be about 77 for the high at Bandimere Saturday.

Beats the 100 degree day yesterday at Alien City when I first got to the track. Glad the humidity was low but man, I couldn’t get enough water.

BTW, did you already order your injection stuff?

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
Just to rub it in a bit, it should be about 77 for the high at Bandimere Saturday.

UGH

Mark Goulette

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
We have been running the terminator and primer plus for many years now. It's so easy. I would post a pic, but no value to you as we run a cam drive setup.

Good luck with the swap.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I know it may sound redundant, but at your next opportunity consider upgrading to cam drive pump, cleans things up a lot. Its hard as heck to squeeze in a belt drive fuel pump when it wasn't in the original plan. The cam drive makes things much cleaner. Just converted both of mine to gear drives and cam mounted pumps. Simplified things a lot.

X2 on the rons primer plus setup, its mandatory. You will be able to actually start it and i never shut mine down at the end of the night without first running on gasoline for a minute or so just to ensure all the alky is gone from the cylinders. since i been doing this cylinders look much nicer at freshen up time.

Posts: 373 | Location: Pride, La | Registered: April 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Then use a remote water pump?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
Primer plus for sure! Makes your life a lot easier.

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Just to put this out there Spud Miller has an primer pump that uses your existing fuel cell and methanol. It tee's in after the 3-way shut off and has a check valve. You use a momentary switch to run the pump and it primes the system right to the injectors.
It's not on his web page so you will have to give him a call. It works well.

https://fuelinjectionent.mysho...pages/fuel-injection

1.34 9.42@ 142.41 1.29 5.97 @ 114.00 @ #3251 Better in 2022
427 BBC by S&S Speed Center, AFD, Enderle MFI by Spud Miller
Trackside Products, Sepanek Racing T400, Dynamic converter, Autoweld, Santhuff, Smith Racecraft,
His real name is Richard but they call it "**** Fords Body Shop"

Posts: 105 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: January 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post