DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Lets open a header building shop!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lets open a header building shop!!
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Just talked to mike at FAB shop headers.He is booked till june before he can even start another set of headers!!
Sounds like an amazing business to get into with massive demand!!!

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I would think his backlog is a result of the supply chain issues and lack of labor force effecting most businesses in this country which is likely to get worse while this administration is in office. I’ll sell you are 1 season old fab shop headers which were worth exactly NOTHING on the time slip over Dynatech but I knew that and told my son that before he ordered them which he did because he likes the look better than Dynatech.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
You'd have to build many headers to make decent money. The parts alone are 2/3's of the cost on most of my builds. I keep enough tubing related stuff in stock for about 2-3 sets of BBC headers and Some smaller stuff for many other applications. I'm lucky to have enough stainless bends to fulfill my current backlog of builds because I hear thats getting hard to get.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I just ordered some race electronics and when the supply of parts runs out I was told it will be a year wait.

I should have my entire inventory of new equipment for Spring now. I have gotten ZERO. Luckily I have some in stock from late Fall to hopefully get going in the Spring.

My good friend works for a dairy that has been in business over a 100 years. They supply all Shoprites and Quickcheck with milk, water and juices. Closing March 1st. Can't find help and tried buying property in PA to build an automated dairy. Lost property twice. Gave up and hired ex convicts to work. Nothing is getting done. They will now buy everything from another dairy and sell it. All employees , drivers, labor, office , guards etc are done. Selling all the stainless equipment for scrap and will sell the property.

Posts: 1625 | Location: UsA | Registered: October 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I would think his backlog is a result of the supply chain issues and lack of labor force effecting most businesses in this country which is likely to get worse while this administration is in office.

Nail on head!

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of nomad
posted Hide Post
I cut, fit, and tacked my last set of headers. Then I had Bill from Elite Race Cars do the final welding. Of course, they are mild steel.

nomad
Bruce Guertin

Easily distracted by bright shiny objects.

Wife says I'm a new adventure every day.

Call Automotive Performance Engines for all your complete engine building, dyno service needs 863-967-8781

Posts: 2544 | Location: Auburndale, Florida | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I'm not working and have not since November 8th

Onan machines and parts were getting harder and harder to get months before then

New machines, the standard answer for availability was 26-30 weeks

Common items I used everyday were shown as not available and would be backordered

I've checked on some items for friends while I'm at home, I have access to Cummins-Onan online

Same thing just a couple weeks ago, every item I looked up, not available and would be backordered

I have waited months for major components over the last couple years.

Something as simple as filters Onan branded......backordered....

Major have to have parts I re-ordered as fast as I used them were unavailable and without them the machines were down and these were used everyday by people commercially making a living

I sold everything I had that was usable machine wise 6 months ago.....

Winter is usually a slow time in that world anyway but I'm glad I'm not having to deal with it and the customers who have no alternative....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Over the last 2 weeks I’ve ordered parts for my motor home, a slide motor and a landing gear hydraulic pump. Much to my surprise I received both in less than 2 weeks from the time I ordered them.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
would think his backlog is a result of the supply chain issues and lack of labor force effecting most businesses in this country which is likely to get worse while this administration is in office. I’ll s

nope!!
Jeff melnick at exotic does amazing work.He has materials.The only slow down is the ceramic coating process.He saying 3 week turnaround.Jeff does alot of headers/zoomies for the TD and TS guys.amazing quality

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just built a set of zoomies last month. everything was in stock.

I could build 3 sets for the cost of a new set from 'name a place' labor included.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Every builder we know is out a ways. 2.5 stepped stainless header 6K$
REF is coming here to build three sets next month.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4504 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
REF for the Win

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Guess I better hang onto those Fab shop dragster headers I have not used in 4 years

Posts: 2431 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Mikey

You have enough issues with your crew chiefs, you don't have time for a header shop!

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have a set of fabshop dragster mild steel chrome plated 2-1/4" stepped into 2-3/8. Almost brand new as I used them for a weekend. I'm just not a chrome guy.

$2200

As for Mike's, it's a one-man band at his shop.

Posts: 24 | Location: Indianapolis  | Registered: March 31, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
It would be a nice (cash) side hustle for someone who is good with fabrication and welding.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6408 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
once i made a small fixture to maintain the desired angle it went quite quickly.

Posts: 549 | Location: somewhere between been and never was | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post