DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Who's using the Hoosier BR-3's
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's using the Hoosier BR-3's
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
Hoosier says the faster the car the lower the pressure.

About 4.5lbs as a starting point and they like low air pressure....

A blown car with 1650 hp is probably not gonna just go right down broadway...LOL

Seems like some will start about as low as they recommend and live with wheel speed while they inch up on the tire pressure and thus traction. My problem with the regular Hoosiers as I tried to go faster was that they are so sticky that I couldn't get enough wheel speed to not shake them.

Although I am an MT tire guy and know the Big Bubba's have a larger sweet spot that other tires out there, no tire can deal with big HP without help or should I say management. Tire pressure is on one way to help create and control WS but this alone is not enough, that's why god invented wheelie bars but he messed up naming them! Controlling wheelies is a byproduct of the real function which is tuning wheel speed.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2107 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Rich, why the interest in the BR3? Why not use one of several proven Hoosier 16 & 17" on SC cars?

Ed I had Hoosier 18700's C0-6 and shook and spun after the shift on a few occasions. Running wide open....7.50's

Now that was more than likely due to track prep issues at Etown and even happened at Atco running S/C in cold spring air....

At Numidia I had zero issues running 7.60 or quicker...

No tire shake on burnouts....

I went back to M/T's and they were not doing the job at Island sat night...

Now I am sure the track was not very good....but was just thinking of trying something different.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
ok just curious and I agree, track prep was your issue last Saturday and in the past.

That said, I may put a pair of BR-3's on this weekend. So if you're not buying a pair soon, I may have a lightly used pair for sale next week if I don't like them.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Rich, why the interest in the BR3? Why not use one of several proven Hoosier 16 & 17" on SC cars?

Ed I had Hoosier 18700's C0-6 and shook and spun after the shift on a few occasions. Running wide open....7.50's

Now that was more than likely due to track prep issues at Etown and even happened at Atco running S/C in cold spring air....

At Numidia I had zero issues running 7.60 or quicker...

No tire shake on burnouts....

I went back to M/T's and they were not doing the job at Island sat night...

Now I am sure the track was not very good....but was just thinking of trying something different.....

Obviously track prep plays a roll here. And poor prep is usually seen just after the 1 -2 shift where the tires get hit at the shift where track prep is not as good as the starting line. Once the tires/chassis are upset combined with a bad track, it's tuff to recover and I can't say any tire can fix this problem. If the track is bumpy on top of poor prep then shock adjustments may help. It has been awhile since I have used Hoosiers, both the 33.5 C06 and the 34.5's but these tires never liked cool track conditions, the cooler the worse they got where MT's were night and day better in these conditions. This was not something that I just experienced at our track, every dragster that swapped saw the same results.

Poor track conditions can't just be fixed by changing tires, helped OK, but not fixed. If you are going to race at a track with poor prep then you must change your car to make it work under those conditions such as a real rear wing, not the POS get by the rule type of wings out there that provide zero down force.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
First thing some of us said was you have to build or race a car suited to where you race and the conditions you’re likely to have there.

I have tried using the launch retard feature on my Grid going back 5-6 years. I even tried carrying the retard well down track and it didn’t work.

I went bracket racing last sat night just to put some runs on a fresh motor.

Generally I have no problem there. Reasonably ok but as the cool air came in the bite said Sayonara for me. I’m good with it. Had fun and at least got to make 3 runs. New motor feels snappy! I’ll put my chit back in S/C mode for the upcoming division races. Not going to Eppping. I stay reasonably close to home. 2-3 hours is it for me traveling wise.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hoosier says the faster the car the lower the pressure.

About 4.5lbs as a starting point and they like low air pressure....

A blown car with 1650 hp is probably not gonna just go right down broadway...LOL

Never said it would but it rattled the tires hard enough that the guy in the water box behind him could see daylight under the tires. Like I said new TNT 260" dragster and that was the first pass ever....

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Rich, are you going to the Lebanon valley divisional this year?

I’ve had 18700 Hoosiers and 3183 MTs on our cars and have had no issues with either going similar ETs. Maybe a shock or 4 link adjustment would help?

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
Rich, are you going to the Lebanon valley divisional this year?

I’ve had 18700 Hoosiers and 3183 MTs on our cars and have had no issues with either going similar ETs. Maybe a shock or 4 link adjustment would help?

Maybe is about my best answer...

I play with shock sometimes but don't think that is needed. Just a better track is about all.

My 3183's are from 2017 but only have about 50-60 runs on them....

This set has never been any different than my last set but I have not bracket raced for a while....

Conditions were a little iffy is the best I can say....

Some door cars that normally hook all the time spun so I think it was primarily the track and I probably was not staged in the ideal spot on one run as the sun went down...

I did watch the next round of Super and it looked like no traction issues for them....

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
We have made the switch this weekend to Hoosier’s 14/35 #18760 BR 3, chalk marked 114.

Aired to the same 6 1/4 psi we’ve run in the 34.5/17 resulted in 60 foot that is .04 quicker, cruise rpm is identical, trap rpm is up 50 and mph is up one. So far we like them. Bonus is more walk by room in the trailer. Big Grin

Thanks Scott Lemen and Shawn Fricke.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
another weekend on Hoosier's BR3 tire and they have made my car even deadly if that's possible. 4 elimination runs of 5 and the thousand foot number was identical to the thousandth.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of sc4087
posted Hide Post
quote:

No way I'm running little or big Bubba's on NON beadlock rims....but the Hoosiers are apparently OK without them...

I ran the little bubbas on my daughters car for 2 years with screws on a mid 4.70 car. Switched to beadlocks this year. They work the same but do look better and more squared up mounted on beadlocks.

Mike Greene

Posts: 509 | Location: Burleson, TX | Registered: March 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sc4087:
quote:

No way I'm running little or big Bubba's on NON beadlock rims....but the Hoosiers are apparently OK without them...

I ran the little bubbas on my daughters car for 2 years with screws on a mid 4.70 car. Switched to beadlocks this year. They work the same but do look better and more squared up mounted on beadlocks.

Thanks for that bit of info.....I haven't done a thing about tires yet...

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Runs #1-53 on this set of BR3's were absolutely perfect for me this year. My 60' times have never been so consistent. Out of nowhere, though, on run #54, these things rattled really hard and ultimately cost me a $10k event. I'll be running them again this weekend at the national event in Indy but I'm not sure what my long term plan is going to be here.

Posts: 59 | Location: D3 | Registered: May 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
I have seen little bubbas come de-beaded on non-beadlock rims, however I have seen the bigs run on non-beadlocks no problem, especially at 4.70's.. If the track was hairy, does that mean the track was hot and greasy? If so, the bigs with the X5 compound would definitely do better on hot tracks.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
Not trying to slam Chris or anyone else here, but it amazes me at how many people I speak with that have issues randomly with the other brand throughout a hot or cold day but yet it almost seems as though it's non existent that people will admit it openly.

It was hot as he!! the last 3 weeks, Kil-Kare, Byron and Martin. Wade White talked to me prior to his 100k win in Byron about how many runs I was putting on them and that he thought maybe he should get a new set before Martin. Low and behold he won that night.

**** happens and not just with one brand of tire I guarantee it.

Both our cars were spot on along with Wade's during the trip.

SL... just say'n

Posts: 2107 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DragRaceResults:
Not trying to slam Chris or anyone else here, but it amazes me at how many people I speak with that have issues randomly with the other brand throughout a hot or cold day but yet it almost seems as though it's non existent that people will admit it openly.

It was hot as he!! the last 3 weeks, Kil-Kare, Byron and Martin. Wade White talked to me prior to his 100k win in Byron about how many runs I was putting on them and that he thought maybe he should get a new set before Martin. Low and behold he won that night.

**** happens and not just with one brand of tire I guarantee it.

Both our cars were spot on along with Wade's during the trip.

SL... just say'n

Yeah, that’s exactly why I haven’t jumped ship. They’ve been such a good tire for me and seems like 90% of the people on my ass about switching to MT haven’t even raced the last 3-4 weeks. It was kind of frustrating to watch other brands go down the same exact track before and after me with no issues though. Different chassis’ and shocks too, so maybe my car isn’t quite as good as it could be yet. Going to keep working at it...

Posts: 59 | Location: D3 | Registered: May 24, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
1 month since we made the swap to the BR3s and they have been excellent. Have run them in S/C as well bracket racing. This past weekend on a nearly 140 degree track, my dragster went 1.060 60 foot 4x in a row! Still running them at the same 6 1/4 psi as we ran our 34.5/17 Hoosier.