DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    ALWAYS ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENTS
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ALWAYS ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENTS
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Seems no matter what the cost of a part most have room for improvement,no matter how small.

Most here know I don't have normal combo.First its not BBC,nothing against them they are best thing going for this style racing.

While my Hemi parts cost a bunch,as do most all parts.There is lots of places that I think can be improved,especaily when using in this arena .

I screwed up cpl push-rods due to a restricter in oil feed to rockers being plugged. My bad for 1 not checking and 2 not removing all together. HAd to pull head to clean metal,oil pan same thing.

I noticed cpl things while apart that I never paid attention to before(dumb a$$). Oil gather in cpl spots and doesn't return. Few places on heads like between exhaust springs,simple grind or milling will fix, On top of lifters a bunch do to way its formed and bracing between cylinder banks. Lilttle more trouble(completete tear down),but drilling hole beside lifter and in bottom of brace will cure. Improvement all around.

Returns are thru a 3/8 hole each end of heads and down thru block. The reseason for the damn re-stricter is to keep oil from flooding head. So nremoving it will probably add to reurn issue. A cpl #8 returns to pan will cure that,giving 4 returns instead of 2.

While heads off I going to tap feed hole in rocker stand for rstrictor,in case still have too much oil up top. Easier to check,5 nuts instead of 17 plus intake. Only issue would be possible pressure because restriction is above head which is fed thru block and possible gasket leak.

I think why the heck didn't I see these issues before.

Sometimes I think I think too much. Then I think that's stupid thinking.LOL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4176 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
"Rome". It wasn't built in a day you know!

Posts: 690 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this will work on a Hemi, but my 12° heads have an external return line at the rear that goes into the side of the oil pan.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Have been on mill all day.Cutting drain hole bigger(1/2 to 3/4) about half way down head and drilling and tapping for #8(room for #10) line to go from ends of heads down to pan. Can run front and/or rear on left and front on right. Will pull pan later and setup for returns. Just got pan back on and filled with oil when I decided to do this.

Half of a improvement done anway.

Posts: 4176 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
We always added return slots or opened up the existing holes between lifter bores. Especially bad on a TFX. A BAE was a bit better but the Brad had an extra scavenge section on the dry sump that picked up in the galley. You'll problems will worsen as your rings go away. The only restrictors were between cyl head and deck to balance the oil from left (direct supply) to right (oiled around cam journal).
Good luck.
BW

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Already had valley holes slotted for quicker return. Drilling hole next to lifter in 3 out of 4 per side will help.Other two don't have room for hole and enough material to suit me.

The only restrictors where below deck,Key word where. Still have them,thinking about drilling them out if I reinstall them. I think with added returns,the extra oil on top side will not be issue as long as don't starve anything else,which I don't see happening.

Good point on balance.Had forgotten left side direct,which is also why less problems on left side most of the time.

This deal is lot lower rpm than when it was TA/D shifting at 10,500. Shifts are 7500 with around 8750 finish if running 1/4.

Have 4 sets of new rings on shelf,don't figure on running anything but good ones for while.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Why drain back to the pan? Don't you have a scavenge line where you could manifold all of the returns together?

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Only line is #20 from pan to oil pump. This is over motored low buck deal(yea broke dyck owner) no dry sump as much as I would love to have one.Not that one may not appear in future,right after trailer and dozen other need to have items.