DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Mitsubishi PSP bleeding
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mitsubishi PSP bleeding
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
2000 Mitsubishi, change power steering pump and flush system. Cannot get all air out. Zero leaks. I pressurized to 10 psi. Holds vacuum usually. All new hoses and clamps. I have jacked up so front tires off ground and without engine rotation turned steering wheel from lock to lock 40 times. No bubbles coming to top of pump reservoir. Top off fluid,install cap, start engine and zero noise. Go around the block and pump starts making the cavitation noises. What am I missing? It’s getting frustrating

Posts: 58 | Location: st louis mo | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
why did you originally change the pump?

Posts: 25 | Location: Iowa | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
rradracer. Intermittent squealing. Ive had my hvac vacuum pump on it, pressurized it, and it start off perfect and zero noise. New belt, new pump, new hoses and clamps, new idler. It holds 10 psi, it holds 15"of vacuum. But it still cavitates itself after 2-3 minutes.

Posts: 58 | Location: st louis mo | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Check for debris or some restriction of fluid into the pump...It sounds like the pump is starving for fluid after it is run for a while...
We had a hydraulic pump that would operate perfectly for a while until some shavings suspended in the fluid would clog a return screen and starve the pump...shut off the pump shavings would settle out and pump would run great until it plugged up again..Aeration can occur during cavitation when there is insufficient fluid.Not sure what your checking for with the Vac Pump.....Hope you find it...

Posts: 227 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
SS Dart.....I was at my wits end and even after it held 10 PSI, I thought might be a rogue air pocket somewhere so i pulled a vacuum on system. This one runs under a vacuum actually. Its blowing my brain!!! Thanks for your time and help.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Hope you find it....There is a thread going on yellow bullet about GM P/S whine....More than one response about using Lucas Oil power steering treatment ....Many swear by it...

Posts: 227 | Location: North Royalton Ohio US*** | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I've had it on Fords and tried every fluid and every additive, I surrender.

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post