DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Team Woodfin Camaro, "Lamplighter"
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Team Woodfin Camaro, "Lamplighter"
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Jaz will sell a "blank" fuel cell. I like the option of being able to put filler cap and fittings were I want them.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
An oversize, universal front plate allows a custom fit. This is still undergoing "trimulation"

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
"trimulation" I like having the plate as large as the situation will allow. Doing so gives options for mounting components and give a large surface for the frame tabs.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The front plate can become another crossmember. With the 3rd gen front mounted steering the extra stiffness is a good thing

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
oil pan clearance is under question. Gives new meaning to "box"

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
No mid plate?

Posts: 2434 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
why mount the msd under the hood

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1385 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The mid plate and front plate will be finalized later. I am leaving the engine location and mid plate fitment to be determined depending on headers. I want the option to shuffle the engine slightly for the best header fit.

The underhood MSD is simply personal preference. Through the years with many builds, I have located the ignition components both underhood and inside.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Are you purchasing headers already built for 3rd Gen or are you going to fab or have someone else fab these?

My headers are from Stahl and needed 1/4” thick plates with gaskets on the Brodix DS exhaust to change the bolt pattern.

Posts: 2434 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Mark, I have not decided about the headers. I "might" buy an Ed Quay "tacked together" set but not until I have the cylinder heads in hand.

Another option, I might send a templet of the exhaust ports to Performance Welding or http://acpheaders.com/

The decision is some months away

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Equipment to light a lamp

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I figger the Lamplighter will respond to the weight bias of an aluminum block

Larry Woodfin

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Posts: 485 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Some Lamplighter updates;

This photo requires a keen eye to see all the innovations.

First, the carb is the 8th revision of my Granny's original "ElectraGrand" metering system. She designed and build the 1st version and tested it on her 1951 Plymouth. It was very successful and attained 100 miles per gallon.

You may have heard the old stories about how the oil companies shut down the development of high fuel mileage carbs because better mileage cut into the profits. The story is true. Before big oil shut her down [well, errr, paid her off] Granny and I would be eating a radio dinner [before the days of TV dinners] we would hear folks on the radio talking about being able to sell extra gas because their tanks here running over.

Through the years Granny continued to develop the ElectraGrand system for off-road usage. She developed systems for Crotchity Jenkins, The Lingwinger Group, Sox and Shoes, Bob Glideshifter, and others who paid extra to be secretive.

I retained all her notes, drawings and details and continue to develop the design. Without divulging the inner workings you can see it works by electrifying the fuel.

Also, look carefully and note a spring attached to the master cylinder. That spring goes through the firewall and attaches to the brake pedal. Doing so is necessary to keep the driver from applying the brakes excessively. The acceleration is so instant that it has been known to scare the driver, or in some cases, he would pass out.

Then note the strap passed under the engine. It retains the oil pan so it can be removed quickly.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
Is this similar to the carburetor NASCAR used at one time to make it a fuel mileage competition instead of performance based race? Obviously you have corrected the atomazation issues to make it perform to its full potential.

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Granny worked with several NASCAR teams, most notably, Foggy Yuster. They put fuel in the car before leaving the shop and that was all it needed. They would run the full 500 miles without stopping for fuel.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
Great looking project. Makes me want to go back and re-do some work on our 3rd gen Camaro.

2800 pounds and 5.80s. What HP and torque do you expect from the engine combo?

Save on Fuel - GetUpside - https://upside.app.link/jE7eqmHc2z

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Chas,

The plan is to have about 725 horse. As the build process continues I will begin posting the engine details. It will be a few months before that happens.

In the upcome weeks, we will be doing the sheet metal work and completing most of the wiring.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
We're 2800 ready to go, methanol, 650 hp, takes good air but we can run 5.90s.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Team Member Monte Pannell is beginning to work his sheet metal magic with the wheel tubes.

Will post some progress pics soon.

Here is the Lamplighter mockup with a 32 x 14 tire. You can see plenty of room everywhere. And that is a good thing.

Larry Woodfin