DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Team Woodfin Camaro, "Lamplighter"
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Team Woodfin Camaro, "Lamplighter"
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The above pic is with shock setup bars having the rear at ride height.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1830 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Larry have you ever thought about using a small shot like 150 hp for just a fun pass now and then Big Grin

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Foot, yes I have at least considered such. I know several DFW area racers who are successful at taking the stripe and getting some wins with the spray.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1830 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
I wonder what it would run from start to finish. Bet it would leave wheels up Smile

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Little Chief
posted Hide Post
This little bully will carry the front wheels,hopefully not as well as the Super 10. Smile

Posts: 230 | Location: Kilgore Texas | Registered: July 15, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
It is time for some updates. For several reasons, the Lamplighter project has been delayed. My wife had a heart valve replaced that resulted in complications and a second surgery and her recovery is slow.

While she was in the hospital I remodeled her bathroom and gave the house a complete working over. She was very happy to come home to a spiffy nest.

Plus, I sold my automotive shop and as part of the remodel I set up a race shop in the home garage. This will be the first racer I have built at home. The biggest adjustment is the low ceiling height [8'] which limits how much the Camaro can be raised. But I will adjust to the changes and move ahead. Any inconvenience has been easily offset by the extra cash on hand Smile

Because my building/racing/working years are now numbered [I am age 72] I will not be building another shop, rather, I will make good use of the resources at hand.

So, stand by as the Lamplight project moves forward.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
Looking good Larry!

Clark

Posts: 124 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The engine buildup will be beginning soon. After a time of pondering I have decided to build a 421 CI based on the new Dart Little M with raised cam.

It will be a 4.165 x 3.875 with a Brodix Dragon Slayer 242 heads fully worked by Eric Weingartner.

More details soon.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Why take a brand new block .040 over?

Posts: 608 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Larry have you considered trying to build a 454 SBC? Eek

DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HR3377:
Why take a brand new block .040 over?

Same reason a lot of people take big blocks and start at a 4.600 bore.. Bigger bore, more power.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Maybe he already has the rings and pistons for 40 over. Just Guessing.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
"Why bore a new block"

Think of it this way, the engine will make about 1.75 horses per inch of displacement. An overbore of .040 will add 10 inches of displacement. Thus, 10 x 1.75 = 17.50 more horsepower

Larry Woodfin

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
The way I look at it, we are bracket racing, so is that 17 hp going to make a competitive difference?

Depending on the weight of the car, maybe worth
.05 in et in the 1/8.

To me it's just shortening the service life of the block.

Awesome build, keep the updates coming

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1830 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
A few New Years' updates.

I have my home garage/shop mostly organized so work has begun progressing with the Lamplighter project. I have worked in most areas, front, middle, rear, just jumping around to what interests me for the day. Most are routine jobs that all add up to a complete package.

These two photos may be of interest. If you have followed my builds you already know I like different ideas and testing/experimenting. Sometimes my ideas work out, sometimes they go in the track bucket.

This photo shows a conventional trans brake button in an unusual location. For what it is work, although it looks awkward in the photo, it is a very good location when seated. The same photo shows a "Trans trigger," also in what appears an awkward location, again, when seated it is very nice. On-track testing will show the truth.

Both switched are wired individually so it can be one or the other.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Ha, I do not know what happened, the photo is upside down. That for sure would be awkward.

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
better

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
well just go figger

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
maybe?

Larry Woodfin

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Whew, that made me dizzy!

On to the next [hopefully upright photo]

When mounting the mid-plate, I wanted it as large as possible for stiffness. Using the size I wanted required a slot in the floor. As a bonus, it also worked out just right as a pedal stop. Just to the left of the mid-plate, under the floor, is a large tab welded to the subframe and bolted through the plate, the same thing on the right side but it had more clearance so no floor mod needed.

Larry Woodfin