DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Mounting Slicks on Beadlocks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mounting Slicks on Beadlocks
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
Watched the Tim McAmis video and read the Neil and Parks instructions. Anything I should know before tackling this?

MT 3080 tires on 15x15-1/2"wide wheels.

Trim any excess flash first.
Push the wheel through.
Spoon the other side over.
Install the ring on one side, tightening gradually 1/4 turn at a time to 125 in-lbs with anti sneeze
Same on other side.
Air up and retorque.
Balance
Retorque after first pass.

Any challenges most run into? Pitfalls?

Bubble balancer work ok?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6391 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
Just did ours, watched the same video Big Grin

Super easy, no hidden surprises.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Yeager
posted Hide Post
Its simple. Bubble balancer works fine. Easy deal!

Mark Yeager

Posts: 1380 | Location: Hollister,CA | Registered: April 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'm actually looking forward to it! Thanks fellas

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6391 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
If you are using steel brake spoons, Duct tape will be your friend on the ends.. (Contact Area)

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:

Oh yeah it's all fun and games till you're on the 80th screw and your back is killing you. Fun times, Haha

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 369dragster:
quote:

Oh yeah it's all fun and games till you're on the 80th screw and your back is killing you. Fun times, Haha

I sit mine on a 5 gallon bucket and sit my old azz in a roll around stool! Work smarter not harder! Laughing Hard

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Never needed spoons on mine. Just a little soap and water spray on the beads and the wheels slip right through...torquing the rings SUCKS!!!! My creeper seat with back rest sure helps.....

Bubble balancer when done, perfect! Been 184 so far and zero shake or vibration from balance issues....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Watched the Tim McAmis video and read the Neil and Parks instructions. Anything I should know before tackling this?

MT 3080 tires on 15x15-1/2"wide wheels.

Trim any excess flash first.
Push the wheel through.
Spoon the other side over.
Install the ring on one side, tightening gradually 1/4 turn at a time to 125 in-lbs with anti sneeze
Same on other side.
Air up and retorque.
Balance
Retorque after first pass.

Any challenges most run into? Pitfalls?

Bubble balancer work ok?

I sure isn't rocket science! I use a cordless impact gun to gently tighten the ring bolts once started by hand. Goes much faster. Never needed a spoon to get the tire on the rim either. Bubble balance is good also.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
No trimming, No spoons, No soapy water needed, just push/pull the rim sideways through the tire then turn the wheel once inside to center it on the beads.Use a bucket with towel over it to torque down the bead locks.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you have N&P beadlocks follow their instructions to the letter. Trim excess flash, torque to 125 in lbs by hand. I soaped my MT with Walmart brand 3x dish liquid. No leaks.

I watched McAmis video, no way. No spoons or lube for me. Had rim in center of 32x14 tire in 30 seconds. Bubble balance. I have N&P.

https://i.imgur.com/xmkccR0.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/lndZpE0.jpg

Posts: 2453 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
No trimming, No spoons, No soapy water needed, just push/pull the rim sideways through the tire then turn the wheel once inside to center it on the beads.Use a bucket with towel over it to torque down the bead locks.

^^^This^^^ except I have never done the bucket thing

Posts: 2420 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

If you have N&P beadlocks follow their instructions to the letter. Trim excess flash, torque to 125 in lbs by hand. I soaped my MT with Walmart brand 3x dish liquid. No leaks.

I watched McAmis video, no way. No spoons or lube for me. Had rim in center of 32x14 tire in 30 seconds. Bubble balance. I have N&P.

https://i.imgur.com/xmkccR0.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/lndZpE0.jpg

They aren't a fan of using the cordless at any point either and will let you know! That adds some time to the job for sure.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

<DOTracer>
posted
I doubt you'll even need spoons for a big mushy bias ply slick. Should be able to install with just your hands and a foot to hold the wheel.

Now, try installing a 315 drag radial on a 15" wide rim...now that's a workout.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Use a bucket with towel over it to torque down the bead locks.

I did actually try this, but the bucket wasn't cooperating.....finally gave up and left them on the mat on the floor....that's where the creeper seat came in.....I've thought of making a small platform for this, as I've got enough misc materials to do it, and it would be easy enough, but I don't change my slicks often enough to worry about it....so it's the floor and a rubber mat for me!

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Been running beadlocks since 1997 and I push rim into the middle, take a wide blade screwdriver to get the bead down, hand start all bolts On ring, Start snugging with a cordless drill or impact in a star til they begin to tighten, Snug by hand all bolts with a 3/8 ratchet, flip over and repeat. Fill to 25 lbs, reduce back to race pressure and bubble balance.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I pushed them in, then spooned the top down easily. By far the most time consuming part is tightening down the bolts. They want no power tools and quarter turn at a time as they start getting snug. Just tedious. Pretty easy job that takes a little while.

Thanks for the input!!
Bubbled balanced nicely and mounted.

Oh a 15" beadlock doesn't clear a willwood caliper by much for sure.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
Picture of John Heard
posted Hide Post
The Neal & Parks Beadlocks are very lightweight, you don't want to get in a hurry running those down with a power tool as noted in instructions.

John Heard
DragStuff.com

Posts: 188 | Location: Kansas | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post