DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Weight distribution hitch with dually
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weight distribution hitch with dually
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted
Hello all,

Just upgraded from a single wheeled 2500hd to a 3500hd dually.

The hitch made a big different on my 2500, I was reading that I really don't need it with a dually.

I am curious as to how many use one with dually.

I tow a 32 ft triple axle trailer that weights about 12k loaded.

Thanks in advance.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1829 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
Used one for years with my dualie to ensure it didn’t sway.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I have and tow with both a 2500hd and a 3500hd dually and the dually doesn't squat like the 2500 but still benefits greatly from the bars. We tow a loaded up 28' that's heavy. I'd use em !!!

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of SR2010
posted Hide Post
I tow a 32' three axle with a doolie. Ive got the Equalizer hitch setup and always put the sway/leveling bars on, even if only going 15 miles to my local track.

Posts: 21 | Location: Ooltewah, TN | Registered: September 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I tow with a dually and use load equalizer hitch. It does help.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3973 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Some hitches require use of distribution bars to use them at capacity. Dual rated.

Posts: 184 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
We have a new item from Shocker Hitches. It is an air-bag cushioned drawbar (shank) for weight distribution hitches that will take all the bumps and jolts you feel out of the 3/4 ton and 1-ton chassis pickups.

These air-bag ball mounts are also available from us without weight distribution features.

We have "Towing Solutions" for most of your trailer towing needs.

Jok Nicholson

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1217 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I use load leveler bars towing this with a 2500 Duramax. This Featherlight might weigh 7000 lbs loaded to the gills, maybe.

A buddy bought my old open trailer and never uses the load leveler bars I gave him with it, dually don't matter IMO. I hope that doesn't bite him in the azz. I keep suggesting he does.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I've never towed with an WD hitch before with my dually, but sure wish I'd had one when I moved to florida.. I know before I make my move back to the mountains I'll have one, even with a dually they help. I'm a bit nose heavy in my trailer and I think that will help a bit...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of banjo
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice,

Will keep the weight distr hitch.

Hooked up today for the first time. It was a short ride, but it pulled very nice.

Bill Simpkins
74 Nova
SBC 406
3240 pounds
Speierracing heads

60 1.27 (10/16)
1/8 6.03@111 (10/16)
Best 9.87@131 on the rev limitor 1 Feb 2013

nova

quarterpanelview

wheelie

FTI Converter
www.speierracingheads.com

Posts: 1829 | Location: San Angelo | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
these big trailers we pull still need help to be more stable.i use bars and sway bars .i see no need to do without them,one uhoh is all it would take.c3500 dually

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1390 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
https://andersenhitches.com/Ca...tribution-hitch.aspx NO sway hitch

We use the Andersen hitch on our motorhome and 2500 GMC.

At 74 ft the trailer is straight and smooth.

It also does not bind, the hitch ball turns with the trailer.

It is about the same amount of time to hook up as the bars, and easier to store and handle.

There should be some videos on their web site.

I would buy this again.

Posts: 235 | Location: Justin, TX | Registered: July 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Weight distributing hitches remove weight from the rear tires of any tow vehicle.
Air bags do not remove weight, only support weight.
They get mistaken for or called sway bars, of which they are not.
A sway bar is a friction enabled connection to the trailer and the tow vehicle on a 90 degree to a torsion bar. Tighten the friction pad and it makes it harder to sway.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have had a 32ft, 1ft extra high pace tri-axel since 1999 and have towed it all over the East. 3 different duellies. I had to use the bars with the Chev 3500 but the Fords have never seen the bars and tow just fine. Same with the motor home, no bars. You load it right and it will tow right but if you load the front with a couple of drums of fuel, a extra motor, golf cart, spares, and tools----you get the idea it will be way to heavy in the nose and a beast to tow---just as bad if it is to light in front.....

Posts: 6198 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post