DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Bead lock question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bead lock question
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted
I was told a 15X15 with 4”bs bead lock will not clear the break caliper. Has anyone ever figured out a way around this?

Thank you in advance for your reply’s

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by BarneyB:
I was told a 15X15 with 4”bs bead lock will not clear the break caliper. Has anyone ever figured out a way around this?

Thank you in advance for your reply’s

Guess it depends on who's brakes and who's beadlock rings. I have run both Weld and Mac Fab beadlocks as well as Strange and Lamb brakes and not had any clearance issues.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
With 4” bs?

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by BarneyB:
With 4” bs?

I’ve had 3 1/2” and 5” back space wheels. Mac fab lists the ID of their Beadlocks to allow you to measure the caliper. I don’t think back space has anything to do with caliper to Beadlocks ring clearance. It’s diamter, not depth that is the issue. The inside Beadlock ring will always be smaller ID than the rear wheel barrel.

<DOTracer>
posted
Just remembered I also had a pair of 4” back space Weld beadlocks as well.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
It depends on who's calipers and how old they are, If you call the company that you are having beadlock your wheels they can give you a measurement that you will need. I have older wilwoods and they will not clear a double beadlock, some have ground the caliper down but that's not an option I would take. BS is not the problem it's the clearance from the caliper to the wheel.

Posts: 604 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sammy christian
posted Hide Post
Back space has to do with where the ring sits relative to the caliper.

6.41@221 (so far)
4.11@178
off the shelf/built it myself

Posts: 81 | Location: Amherst, Ny | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by sammy christian:
Back space has to do with where the ring sits relative to the caliper.

But that still has zero to do with if it will clear. The beadlock ring ID still has to be larger than the caliper mounted OD. I've never seen a car come in to where you had to rock the wheel to get enough clearance to get it over the caliper because the caliper went up inside that cavity between the beadlock ring and rear barrel.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
My 16 X 16 Weld 4" backspace are real close to the Mark Williams calipers.

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 252 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HR3377:
It depends on who's calipers and how old they are, If you call the company that you are having beadlock your wheels they can give you a measurement that you will need. I have older wilwoods and they will not clear a double beadlock, some have ground the caliper down but that's not an option I would take. BS is not the problem it's the clearance from the caliper to the wheel.

I have old wilwoods and there is lot of extra material on them.I machined 2.5 lbs off the two and still have plenty meat around all areas. So if they are just touching and you needed .1 or so off it would be issue at all.The newer stuff is smaller and can see why old one would hit while newer one would clear.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4174 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of wtfracer
posted Hide Post
We run some Macfab beadlocks with 3.5" backspacing and they clear our aerospace brakes no problem

Pete

Posts: 3 | Location: lansing mi. | Registered: December 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Put a set of 15 x 15 weld v series beadlocks with 4" back spacing that had a set of older wilwood brakes on it that rubbed the calipers. Put a set of Strange caliper mounts for the old calipers and they did not rub.

Posts: 133 | Location: ga. usa | Registered: January 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies, looks like it will be a challenge because I have old Wilwood’s. If I go this route I might have to put some new Moser brakes on it.
Merry Christmas