DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Spraying an SR20 motor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spraying an SR20 motor
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of sc4087
posted
We are wanting to add spray to an SR20 headed motor for finish line driving only. Not going to be hitting it from the waterbox to the stripe and we're being told these heads don't like nitrous and to not spray more than 250. Problem is 250 ain't gonna do squat at the stripe. Anybody got any success stories or horror stories from spraying 400 or more?

Mike Greene

Posts: 509 | Location: Burleson, TX | Registered: March 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sc4087:
We are wanting to add spray to an SR20 headed motor for finish line driving only. Not going to be hitting it from the waterbox to the stripe and we're being told these heads don't like nitrous and to not spray more than 250. Problem is 250 ain't gonna do squat at the stripe. Anybody got any success stories or horror stories from spraying 400 or more?

I have one and spray it at times but not like your talking. However for short squirts at the stripe I don't see it being an issue other than getting the tune up right and making sure you take out enough timing!! I would also add that to do what your talking about, you don't need 400 either.

I know you can spray these motors with a plate setup for 150+ hp the whole run, running 22 degrees of timing on the juice with no issue.

If you really wanted to shot it with 400, I'd build the motor a little different to make sure it's OK with 400 but it would loose some power NA.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I have a 16 Fuel /20 Nitrous pills in my induction solutions fogger with SR 20's...very small shot like 150hp. Agree with the above you don't need a 400 shot to make a move in the middle or end of track. I have it on the newer car and don't even use it at the moment. When I do want to use it full track, it picks the car up 3 tenths 1/8 mile and 5 tenths 1/4 mile.

If the converter is loose and set up for motor the bigger shot wont do chit as it will just drive thru the converter and make a load of noise...in turn making your over ride worthless.

JMO...I also spoke to Hunter yesterday.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
I also spray mine and occasionally will spray 2 systems. 1 system is good for .35 - .40 in the 1/8 mile with 32 nitrous 26 fuel in a speedtech softline system. I have never used it for finish line racing.

Posts: 116 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rodney Pryor:
I also spray mine and occasionally will spray 2 systems. 1 system is good for .35 - .40 in the 1/8 mile with 32 nitrous 26 fuel in a speedtech softline system. I have never used it for finish line racing.

Curious, how low on timing are you with the kit blazing? P.S. I have no experience with the head at all, just know it can be a sensitive little *****.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 705 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Thinking we had around a 175 or 200 shot in ours. Most it ever was on timer was 2 seconds or used top end of the button. Either way it was pulling 6 degrees. It was enough to move the car without issue.

Posts: 2399 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Pinkerton:
Thinking we had around a 175 or 200 shot in ours. Most it ever was on timer was 2 seconds or used top end of the button. Either way it was pulling 6 degrees. It was enough to move the car without issue.

If your at 200 with 6 out, that's pushing it! What was your base timing? However short blasts do help.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I have a 16/20 (roughly 150 shot) pills with 6 psi fuel psi flowing thru a 72 jet on a flow gauge, pulling 8 degrees starting at 32 degrees base timing, 900 to 950 bottle pressure. Very reliable and will make a move anywhere you hit the button on the track.

I run it on a timer at times but mostly thumb it near end of track for an over ride if I need to when car rattles or spins down low on marginal tracks.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
I have a 150-175 shot hooked up to mine pulling 8 degrees. I use mine for an override and you can definately feel it move when you push the button on the top end.

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
quote:
Originally posted by Rodney Pryor:

Curious, how low on timing are you with the kit blazing? P.S. I have no experience with the head at all, just know it can be a sensitive little *****.

Between 22-23 degrees on 1 system with the timer on at .25 and out the back

Posts: 116 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking 600 makes a pretty good move

... Just Say'n

Posts: 2107 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Engine builders love 600 shots... Wink

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I must be doing something wrong? I have to spray 350 hp w/ nitrious express plate system to get my car to pick up .01 @ 500 feet in the run. Pulling 8* of timing. Car runs 4.70 to 4.80 w/ conventional heads. Been doing this for 10 yrs, never any problems. Done it w/ gas & alcohol

Posts: 23 | Location: Clarksville,Tn. 37042 | Registered: December 21, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Why not just let go and dial it...
Nitrous=Sucking at the tree...

Rick Huffman
Accelerated Graphics
Why was everyone Kung Fu Fighting?

Posts: 598 | Location: Burleson TX | Registered: January 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick4310:

That's very one dimensional thinking! But it does follow the KISS rule.

In real life, they both have there place if your smart enough to know how and when to use them!

DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
quote:

A million ways to lose , but keep your options open helps a lot.... Its not for everyone , but a bump down or up is not for every racer either....

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tas472:
I must be doing something wrong? I have to spray 350 hp w/ nitrious express plate system to get my car to pick up .01 @ 500 feet in the run. Pulling 8* of timing. Car runs 4.70 to 4.80 w/ conventional heads. Been doing this for 10 yrs, never any problems. Done it w/ gas & alcohol

TAS, I bet its driving thru the converter...smaller hit may work better...results may vary.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of sc4087
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nitrous=taking stripe .02 under for the lose in my experiences

Mike Greene

Posts: 509 | Location: Burleson, TX | Registered: March 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
You and Rick have to learn how to cheat with the spray to win with it...pffft.

Big Grin

DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
Lots of ways to skin a cat with spray.. all in how disciplined you are to use it...

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post