DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    APD Enforcer Carb Idle Problem
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

APD Enforcer Carb Idle Problem
 Login/Join

DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is a bolt on deal to help this issue, bolts on to the secondary linkage to remove the play from the primary linkage so the throttle return spring helps to close the secondaries

Who makes this?

Posts: 2108 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
BLP

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buck2248:
A little update after working on carb Saturday, I am now leaning toward the blades binding up in the bore. it just feels catchy when adjusting the idle screws. I really think the blades are catching the walls of the throttle bores, you can her what sounds like scraping when you back the adjustment all the way off and start screwing them in again. Now what to do to fix it? Really sucks spending that kind of $ and its not right. Thanks for all the help guys. appreciate it.

Yes it's ashamed that you can't just bolt it on and go race. I bought one of APD's (brand new from them) throttle stop carbs that when you mashed the throttle if flat fell on its face and shut the motor off. I did what they told me to do by turning the idle screws out a little and it continued to do the same. I sent it to Mark Whitener and paid another $500.00 and he replaced some throttle blades, pump cams and change the jetting as well and it worked perfect. I've have him build three gas carbs and he always hits the mark first time out. I just had him build me a billet BLP for E85, and guess what, it works bad ass. Hats off to you Mark!

Posts: 3 | Location: 91740 | Registered: April 15, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Never heard of this kit. Anti Stick Kit...

http://blp.com/82-help-center/...bracket-installation

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
this is nothing new with APD carbs, been issues for a long time

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
BOOK...FTW

Posts: 1257 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Buck2248
posted Hide Post
I did get a call back today, I will probably be sending the carb back for them to look at. I am going to pull it off this weekend and look at it to see if I see anything, if not sending back to APD Monday.

Mike Buchwald

Posts: 538 | Location: Caledonia, Mississippi | Registered: January 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I also spoke with John today at APD and he vowed to make the carbs I own right. I am shipping 4 of them to him in the morning and very happy to hear directly from a business owner willing and looking to stand behind their products. Looking forward to the remidied carbs to get back.

I can say at wide open throttle we have had minimal issues but the leaks and the idle has been a major PIA.

Results to follow...

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
I've had 3 APD carbs 2 billet one older style and had had really luck with them. Only Issue I ever had was struggled getting enough fuel through it until they worked it over. They reworked my old engine a year ago and when I got it back it had 225 jets in it but the extensions the use were only .215 so that was disappointing that they didn't catch that. Wasn't thrilled with the engine results but the carbs I've liked. Both my billet carbs were methanol one was a 1250 and current a 1450.
Hope he gets them straightened out for you.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Hell, that'll be a walk in the park for them. If that's a APD on the Blue Chevy II with the headlights, that thing looks like it's alright. Like that car. Mean

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I had a Stinett gas 1050 and sent it to APD to have it converted to methanol.

Carb was perfect and used to be welded on 8.90’s. Bracket racing it ran the same ET pretty much everywhere all the time and never caused any issues.

I traded it off for a Terminator and should have kept it and just bought the Terminator outright.

I have an APD 1150 methanol carb sitting in a box I’ve never run and should try it

Been running a gas 1050 for 6 years with excellent results.

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
The throttle return kit is a BLP part made to work with BLP external linkage shafts. The biggest issue is usually with methanol carbs, and big bore stuff where airflow pulls on the blades to keep them open. John works hard on his stuff but I know he's been really busy lately. Just keep trying the phone. And if you need I can help as well.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Just get a Barry Grant . Look how far piss poor service got him ...LMAO ... Mark , Tony , Bob and Get Em all are excellent people to deal with .

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Got the carbs back from John, bolted them on headed for Michigan! BIG week coming up!

Thanks John Kyle for stepping up and taking care of business!

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Buck2248
posted Hide Post
Mine is on the way back also so I guess we will see when it gets here.

Mike Buchwald

Posts: 538 | Location: Caledonia, Mississippi | Registered: January 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Got em back! Excellent performance so far!

DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
What exactly are the carbs doing. My APD Maxspeed carb started having what feels like a hitch or sticking point. It sticks and stays about 1500 RPM. If I tap the pedal, it settles back down to 1000 RPMs, where I have it set.

Is this the prolem everyone is having with their APD's?

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My APD sticks on high idle as well. Normally the back doesnt return. I can tap it sometimes and get it back down, other times it does not.

I keep it lubed and cleaned which seems to help, but it also collects dust and eventually starts again. Looking at it this weekend I might be able to put light spring return on it. But for the $$ you shouldn't have to.

Posts: 1437 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of novaX522
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
Got em back! Excellent performance so far!

What did they do to fix them?

Rob Livingston

Posts: 176 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post