DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    383 thrust bearing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

383 thrust bearing
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted
383 eagle rotating assy, converter side of the thrust is wiped out. I am assuming the cause is converter, trans issue?
It has a th350 trans and a 3500 stall, I do see where the converter pilot and crank are shiny from some type of interference. I have never had this problem before so looking for help.
Just bought the s10 turnkey and found it after i got it home, seller has offered to help pay for repairs.
I have pictures but have never been able to figure out how to post on here. [img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48764409943_9359dceee7_z.jpg"> IMG_0279 by Paul Ratliff, on Flickr[/IMG][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48764742141_99e0b400e5_k.jpg"> IMG_0280 by Paul Ratliff, on Flickr[/IMG] [img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48764931207_2c6214d83d_k.jpg"> IMG_0284 by Paul Ratliff, on Flickr[/IMG] [img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48764745286_9f0b0fbf75_k.jpg"> IMG_0285 by Paul Ratliff, on Flickr[/IMG]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rs72z,

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
I tried to post pics, not sure what i did wrong but you can click on the img link and see them.
Thanks

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
-paul have you checked the convertor clearance and what brand convertor.you need to check tranny also

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1389 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
one last thought,it could have been a issue with clearance when the engine was built on the thrust.

1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1389 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
I just glanced at clearance when i pulled it out, looked like it had enough. I will check it for sure when going back together. No name on the converter, looks like a el cheapo to me.I will go through the trans before the engine is reinstalled.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
Rusty, did you see the snout of the converter and the crank pilot in the pictures?
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
one last thought,it could have been a issue with clearance when the engine was built on the thrust.

DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
Not sure if they are still available but Clevite use to make a wider oversized thrust bearing for that. You machine the thrust surface flat again and set the clearance with the wider bearing.

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
paul i cant see your photos,says private

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
Try now i changed it to public.
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
paul i cant see your photos,says private

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
looks like pilot wasnt in for enough,and was pushing on crank.will the pilot actually slide in

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rusty,

1.036, 6.16@ 224

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Agree with Rusty. For sure a pilot issue.On the edge. While you are in there, take a close look at the radius on the rods. Both sides as a matter of fact. Safe keeping, see if the rods have touched sides. Do a little measuring. Lightly clean the snout and the pilot bore. Mic it up.. Looks like it was on the edge. After its repaired. Pre fit the converter into the pilot hole always. Seen it too many times taking out the thrust. One other thing, look at the flexplate. Make sure it's not bent or waved. Just a couple pointers there.Also look at the face of the balancer for hammer marks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1407 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
Good point. Thanks
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Agree with Rusty. For sure a pilot issue.On the edge. While you are in there, take a close look at the radius on the rods. Both sides as a matter of fact. Safe keeping, see if the rods have touched sides.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rs72z,

DRR Trophy
Picture of DaleH
posted Hide Post
Maybe check end-play in transmission, make sure thrust pressure isn't coming from trans.

Posts: 61 | Location: MN | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Hard to tell in the pictures on my phone but looks like the shiny spot is also beveled like it was bottoming out in the crank so I would be checking that out for sure.
What made you tear it down?

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
It looks beveled to me as well.
We were getting ready to put a toilet on it and when i went to take the crank pulley of it the crank slid in when i put the impact on it.
I ran it some when we got it and didn't hear anything but it had shorty headers on it and they dumped right at the bell housing.

quote:
Originally posted by green1:
Hard to tell in the pictures on my phone but looks like the shiny spot is also beveled like it was bottoming out in the crank so I would be checking that out for sure.
What made you tear it down?

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
I would not run the converter before getting it checked. My guess the converter is ballooned. Frown

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
Well i have the engine back together and the trans pulled a part.
I think the problem was 2 fold. Trans was full of black dust and fine metal which tells me converter, plus the driveshaft is to long. No damage to anything else in the trans.

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Don't forget the cooler

Posts: 1447 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post