DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Alky carb builders Advice on metering blocks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alky carb builders Advice on metering blocks
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Alky Carb builders need a little help . I have a 1050 Holley dominator and was wanting to update it some and make more consistent. Wanting to upgrade to billet metering blocks and coated fuel bowls. Currently has Holley metering blocks. It's going on a 498bbc with dart 335 heads with a .740 /.740 lift cam with sniper jr intake .. ran 5.00-5.02 identical carb that has APD metering blocks. So what metering blocks do I need . And fixed or adjustable emulsions, if adjustable what size. Been looking at BLP metering blocks . And 2 or 3 circuit ones.

Posts: 30 | Location: tennessee | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 57 Vette
posted Hide Post
You need to give Scooter a call at the GET'M Garage to get the new Titan billet metering blocks. Three ckt with adjustable emulsion.I would start out at around .028. For fuel bowls use the Holley H/P ultra coated gray bowls.

IHRA ACDELCO Canadian Nationals
Top/et Iron man champion Wink
Don Davis 57 Corvette Super Gas roadster Cool
SDPC 582 Head Hunter on Alcohol

Posts: 268 | Location: Toronto Ont/Surprise AZ | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
So the APD that I borrowed to run is a older conversion and it had 3 out of 4 emulsion at .030 and 1 blocked and it's a 2 circuit.with air bleeds at 60 idle 42 intermediate and 23 main air bleeds, with 55 squirter and 168 square main jet which by plugs was lean but ran since no testing on new motor. My Holley is a 3 circuit with 4 emilsions that is over .060 cause that's ****hest my pin gauge goes with all 3 air bleeds at 28 .with 63 squirter .
On previous 505 bbc both carbs ran identical back to back testing.

Posts: 30 | Location: tennessee | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
It's hard to make an engine slow down with a little too much methanol, unless it can't burn it. So metering blocks, emulsion, idle feed sizes... you can do crazy stuff and not always affect performance like it would on gas. Making a methanol carb consistent is done making it as lean though the RPM range as possible without loosing power or creating a stumble coming up on the throttle. The problem is some engines work fine going on the lean side, they have good induction velocity and a strong ignition system. Some require a lot of fuel to survive that initial hit. So you want to have the ability to tune over a wide range as needed for your combination.

BLP has a 5122 3 circuit metering block with no idle tubes, these are a fine block to use. The angle channel needs to be opened to around .215 after you get them, or have BLP do it for you. You need to know the jet thread size you currently use, they are available in a 5/16-32 thread or BLP's .350-32 L jet. The Titan blocks are also good, I have some methanol versions being made, but they will only be in a .350-32 thread.

For bowls if you stick with a cast aluminum bowl you only want it with a hard coat coating, it will be best at tolerating methanol and resisting corrosion. APD's billet bowls are a better option, you can anodize or hardcoat and billet will be even more resilient to corrosion than cast. I have hardcoat cast and anodized billet available, BLP should also have the hardcoat cast bowls in stock.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Jmarkaudio so what emulsion jets should I put in 3 circuit blp metering blocks and are they a advantage to the thicker .850 blocks. And what's the idle tubes.