DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Sonnax 1.80 planetary
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sonnax 1.80 planetary
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I bought a BTE from Bill Taylor (rip) himself, back when they first came out.

Won 7 Super Pro championships in 10 seasons with it behind a 750 hp BBC in my Nova with 400 lbs of ballast in the trunk, never broke it. Car weighed 3785 lbs.

41 race seasons at Sunshine Dragstrip.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
41 race seasons at the local drag strip, man those days are gone eh?

The local Super Pro bracket racer is like Archie Bunker, obsolete.

I was useful back in those days, same as all the locals.

Local Dragstrips had so many entries, they didn't know where to park em all.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jonesz:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:

Won 7 Super Pro championships in 10 seasons with it behind a 750 hp BBC in my Nova with 400 lbs of ballast in the trunk, never broke it. Car weighed 3785 lbs.

That combination is not very rigorist test on a planetary. Just saying

Posts: 122 | Location: Over here | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

How much end play do you run?,how thick was the drum cover which came with the gearset you're speaking of, which failed?

How did the transmission shift? Did it shift hard? Could you feel it shift hard when you drove it around the pits to warm it up?

How much line pressure?

Which brand are you speaking of TSI or BTE?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

How much end play do you run?,how thick was the drum cover which came with the gearset you're speaking of, which failed?

How did the transmission shift? Did it shift hard? Could you feel it shift hard when you drove it around the pits to warm it up?

How much line pressure?

Huh? What is all that gibberish?

Posts: 122 | Location: Over here | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

How much line pressure?

How about 13 test laps in one day with 2500-3000hp and Petty from Pro-line doing the tuning, is that a "rigorist" test for a TSI 1.80 straight cut gear set? Twin procharger.

How about the 10 years or so it was in the same car, same tuner without a failure, is that a "rigorist" test?

There's many variables that play into how durable any given gearset is, thats the "gibberish" as you call it, because you don't recognize the variables.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

How much line pressure?

How about 13 test laps in one day with 2500-3000hp and Petty from Pro-line doing the tuning, is that a "rigorist" test for a TSI 1.80 straight cut gear set? Twin procharger.

How about the 10 years or so it was in the same car, same tuner without a failure, is that a "rigorist" test?

There's many variables that play into how durable any given gearset is, thats the "gibberish" as you call it, because you don't recognize the variables.

How about a bunch of these type slips, is this a "rigorist" test? This has a FTI - TSI or whatever you prefer to call it Kryo 1.69 gearset, no Sonnax.

I haven't heard from him about his spare I have half the pieces for here, in 3 or 4 months.

Must be holding up pretty good eh? Confused

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

How much line pressure?

How about a bunch of these type slips, is this a "rigorist" test? This has a FTI - TSI or whatever you prefer to call it Kryo 1.69 gearset, no Sonnax.

I haven't heard from him about his spare I have half the pieces for here, in 3 or 4 months.

LOL. None of which have the first thing to do with a 10" tire, 6.50 Nova as a test bed like i said.
Secondly, 4.46/155 wont hold a candle for me to run by there Einstein.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

How much line pressure?

LOL. None of which have the first thing to do with a 10" tire, 6.50 Nova as a test bed like i said.

I've given four examples, asking which in your expert opinion is a "rigorist" test "bed"?

You do build your own transmissions right?

I also asked what brand gearset do you have experience breaking?

I also asked a few questions you'd only know if you built your own transmission. Pressure and endplay.

1. 3,775 lb door car 750 hp for ten years BTE 1.80?

2. 2500-3000 hp petty tuned ten years TSI 1.80?

3. 13 laps same day 2500-3000 hp petty tuned TSI 1.80?

4. 4.40 dragster FTI 1.69?

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

How much line pressure?

I've given four examples, asking which in your expert opinion is a "rigorist" test "bed"?

I also asked a few questions you'd only know if you built your own transmission. Pressure and endplay.

Yes, I too build mine own engines, trans, etc.

I'm not the one on here breaking gear sets regularly. But I have have good luck with TSI in my dragster (4.20's) and faster door car (5.50's) and BTE in my slow (6.40) car.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

How much line pressure?

Yes, I too build mine own engines, trans, etc.

I'm not the one on here breaking gear sets regularly. But I have have good luck with TSI in my dragster (4.20's) and faster door car (5.50's) and BTE in my slow (6.40) car.

I think Sonnax is good shyt, I run one now, but I've run BTE, TSI, FTI, ATI in trans i've done.

I could give 100 more examples of all these being pounded on 20 years in various cars. I think any straight cut gearset beat on year after year is a decent "rigorist" example.

Sonnax is good shyt but there's others too, is my argument. If I break the sonnax it'll have a TSI.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Ahhh, just another DRR train wreck....

Thanks SO much SL

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
atleast its on page 2

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I had a 180 TSI that broke after less than 2 seasons behind a 1000hp 565 in a bracket dragster. I replaced it with a 180 Sonnax extreme. Ran it 2 more years in the bracket dragster then 3 years behind a 2000 plus HP blown TD without breaking it. Gear set is in my back up trans today after I built a brand new trans.

I have ran a BTE 1.80 gear set for about 8 years with no problems and a lot of laps. My stuff is under 1800 Lbs and only 760 Hp, same combo broke two sets of 1.76 gears before I bought the BTE 1.80. Does not mean I would recommend them or expect them to last behind 2500 HP like big Steve has. Also Big Steve has had transmission problems so he has learned what works. And what does not......

He says Sonnax be good, it be good. He has learned from experience. You can trust and learn from his experience or you can learn hard way. Does not matter to me and lower power combinations may never need it any way.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post