DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    '84 Camaro Need help with setup
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'84 Camaro Need help with setup
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Since we have a lot of time on our hands I was looking for a project. I have an 1984 Camaro and figured best time to start on it. I have been considering using a 4.8 ls engine with a torque cam not sure on exact one yet with a Holly efi sniper With a 350 Trans. I have never worked with an ls engine before, so not sure if this is even a good combo? I am not figuring that much power maybe 350 horsepower with this combo. Would the weak rear end hold up? Is there another combo that could work? Just have so many questions. I would like to stick with a ls engine so I can get some experience and plus they are readily available. Any info,tips, or different suggestions you may have would be grateful. I don't want to pour too much into this project. Just would like to have a budget build while we are stuck during this quarantine.

Posts: 3 | Location: Cookeville, TN. | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Nick,

I think the fact that you are not receiving any feedback is because, from an engine swap standpoint, the LS information is not mainstream to the hardcore bracket race family. For simplicity, a standard SBC bolted into all factory equipment is the easiest and most economical move.

After an LS is converted to carb and distributor the cost is greater than building a conventional SBC.

A very nice, very streetable 350 -383 SB can be done for reasonable money and will run strong. Just food for thought

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
I agree with Larry as above but I also believe you need to build what you like too.

I can't answer any specific questions about the LS into a 3rd gen but I would take a look at a couple of books that speak specifically to that type of conversion. You might also find some help on the 'net and here is a starting point:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forum...-into-third-gen.html

Good luck and have fun with it.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you have Facebook, look up Matt Walter. He owns Walter racecraft. He specializes in third gen ls swaps. He also owns a fast ls swapped third gen race/street car. He can help you greatly.

Posts: 486 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post