New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trunk Corrosion
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I have a trunk mounted battery in a Chevy Nova. The battery is not in a plastic battery box. I run a one wire alternator that charges 14.6 volts max. After about a month, everything metal with the slightest scratch within two feet of the battery develops corrosion. The terminals generally look good. I have tried three different Bosch batteries with the same result. The batteries are standard 12 volt and are sealed---at least no place to add water. I have mounted batteries in the trunk of other cars before without an issue. What am I doing wrong?

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Sounds like battery is out gassing badly I would try a battery box. Where is battery grounded?

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 396 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
If the battery is gassing, there is a problem, always.
Overcharging, undercharged, shorted cell....

Is the compartment vented at all?

Are you using a maintenance charger in between races?
You could be cycling the batteries too deep.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1612 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post