DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Valve spring compressers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Valve spring compressers
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Need one for roller valve springs.
Used to be stuff like that in the back of National Dragster advertised.
Any recommendations?

Posts: 690 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you have shaft rockers the LSM works well.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you're doing them off the motor the LSM tool is what you want to buy, pricey but worth every penny.

Posts: 604 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If you’re cheap, the Proform (and others) valve spring compressors will work- but be warned, the handle don’t lock down with the spring compressed and if you turn loose, it’ll get interesting very fast!!
A Regis air powered compressor works good, but pricey.
If you’re not very familiar with working with a valve spring compressor the LSM is probably the best choice.

Posts: 97 | Location: South MS | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
What engine/rockers? Head on or head off?

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I'm not big into spending a lot of money on tools, but I have the LSM spring compressor and it makes the job very easy.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I have LSM for both on and off the block, very nice tools and worth the money. I believe both Jegs and Summit sell them

Posts: 2399 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I have LSM for both on and off the block, very nice tools and worth the money. I believe both Jegs and Summit sell them

Ditto...……….

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Bench work, v8 heads. Pro form needs repair

Posts: 690 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lsm-sc-2000

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have the blue proform and has served me well. LSM looks nice but for as little use that it gets I wouldn't be able to justify the cost.

What needs repair on your proform? Not much to it. I would fix it before buying a new one.

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
I have the LSM on-engine one for shaft rockers. Even when I do the springs with the heads off the engine I use it. I have two h0les drilled in my bench to bolt the head down. I have used the air-operated compressors, nice, but I won't buy one since I rarely do this type of thing.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The overclamp doesn't sit on the valve head correctly so when collapsed the retainer is not centered on the stem.
Repair that with my bench vise. A better solution will be in the works

This message has been edited. Last edited by: B.C.Malibu,

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Richie
posted Hide Post
LSM, Love it - wish I got one years ago. > not a paid endorsement! cost sucks but?

Posts: 254 | Location: Windsor locks Ct. | Registered: November 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
A friend recommended Buxton, anybody use one of those?

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The Buxton stuff looks really nice but that’s big bucks, $650.

I have the LSM on head tester and chenger like Richie. Nice stuff. About $400 for both.

Posts: 710 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I haven’t used there spring compressor but they do make very nice stuff, I have there tire guage and spring pressure tool....

quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
The Buxton stuff looks really nice but that’s big bucks, $650.

I have the LSM on head tester and chenger like Richie. Nice stuff. About $400 for both.
:

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you or anyone you know is going to PRI they have specials there for a few bucks off that's where I bought mine last year.

Posts: 604 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HR3377:
If you or anyone you know is going to PRI they have specials there for a few bucks off that's where I bought mine last year.

And if you only come with carry on you will have to check the carry on with tools in it, and some airlines charge for checked baggage so there goes your great buy.......

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
A friend recommended Buxton, anybody use one of those?

We also use Buxton. It can be dial to be right on accurate and is. We also have a LSM that works, but no where near the accuracy. You can actually dial the Buxton to match a bench compressor.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post