DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Wing On Bracket Dragster
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wing On Bracket Dragster
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
How much does a Spitzer style mono wing help on a 4.40 - 4.70 dragster?
Do they add any stability when the track is green in the spring or cold in the fall?
Any issues with windy conditions?

Posts: 15 | Location: Ohio | Registered: March 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
They definitely help when the dew rolls in at night. I haven't noticed any issues in windy conditions. It will slow the car down 3-4 hundredths and a couple of MPH,depending on the angle you put in it.

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
On my altered it was a big help when it got near dew point or on a cold track in the 1/8 mile. Now on the 1/4 mile the faster I went the more stable and comfortable it felt. Before I put on the wing around 1000 feet you could feel it get up on the tire and felt like it was going to spin.

Note: My wing was not a Spitzer and had more down force. Also my altered ran 4.90 -5.10.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bradsc1954
posted Hide Post
Ken,
Are those the numbers with one of Dan's A/Fuel wings or a small Undercover style?

Posts: 133 | Location: Weare NH USA | Registered: July 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve H.:
Do they add any stability when the track is green in the spring or cold in the fall?

Spitzer is one of the few that is a real "airfoil". The rest are just added weight.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bradsc1954:
Ken,
Are those the numbers with one of Dan's A/Fuel wings or a small Undercover style?

It is one of Dan’s wings but it is far from an A/fuel wing. It is a mono wing but I made him make it narrower and make the stand shorter.

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve H.:

Any real wing will help when conditions are not good unless it's just a rules satisfier type wing like the Undercover mono wing, they do nothing other than satisfy a rule. How much they help depends on your combo and if your running MT tires vs brand X. I have been 6.63 at 200 with no wing and MT Big Bubbas! Big Grin

Anyways back to the topic at hand, the faster and or lighter your combo is the more benefit you will see from using a real wing when conditions aren't good.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
If anybody wants to get rid of one of those useless Undercover style wings I will take it off your hands..... maybe even give you a few bucks for it!

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 630 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
A couple of thoughts here, the Undercover style wing may not do much but it does look nice. I would think it helps a little.

For Top38 my car was much slower and the wing helped a lot. I bet as fast as you are a good wing would really help. By the way I think my wing was a Dan Olsen? and it had a lot of drag but it did not hurt MPH or Et.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 4016 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
The problem with the so called small undercover stye wing is there is no adjustment on them or in most cases the mount on the car itself. I had a tall 2 piece TD undercover wing and my car has an adjustable mount for the wing. I could adjust it from neutral to about 6* down force. It was fine for bracket racing but the element could not handle the speed when I switched to TD and became delaminated and flew off the car at 228 mph at Dallas last year.

Posts: 2430 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
The problem with the so called small undercover stye wing is there is no adjustment on them or in most cases the mount on the car itself. I had a tall 2 piece TD undercover wing and my car has an adjustable mount for the wing. I could adjust it from neutral to about 6* down force. It was fine for bracket racing but the element could not handle the speed when I switched to TD and became delaminated and flew off the car at 228 mph at Dallas last year.

Shocker! LOL, Sorry you found out the hard way. I know of a guy who was going way way slower and had it delaminate.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
A couple of thoughts here, the Undercover style wing may not do much but it does look nice. I would think it helps a little.

For Top38 my car was much slower and the wing helped a lot. I bet as fast as you are a good wing would really help. By the way I think my wing was a Dan Olsen? and it had a lot of drag but it did not hurt MPH or Et.

Looks are in the eye of the beholder!! I will leave it at that.

BTW I think you mean down force and not drag, if it had a bunch of drag I would have to slow the MPH & ET.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Actually I think my wing had a lot of down force and drag but you are right drag is not good.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I did an ABA test with my Dan Page wing the first year I had it on. I noticed minimal difference in ET and mph not even as much as Ken mentioned. I did notice a huge difference in how stable the car felt.

I think looks are deceiving the Page wings are a little bigger but he put a lot of development into the profile of that wing. Remember its not just the physical size of a wing but the camber and aspect ratio that factors in.

B.J. Masiello

Posts: 250 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: November 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, sounds like it will be worth the effort to add one.

Posts: 15 | Location: Ohio | Registered: March 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post