Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Opinions on BBC connecting rods
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on BBC connecting rods
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted
Time to freshen the 598 in my car and i’m wanting to put a set of rods in it this go round. This shortblock was originally assembled in 2006 and still has the same crank, rods, and pistons. I believe the rods are 6.800 length and they are Manley I beam pro series or whatever their top of the line rod is called. They have been good, but wasn’t sure if the newer stuff was still the same quality. I was personally leaning towards the Callies Ultras but wanted to hear some opinions before pulling the trigger on anything. This is a typical 1000 hp deal, 99% 1/8 mile, 7400 max rpm, 10.2 deck, 4.5” stroke bracket engine. I’m not opposed to any brands and not stuck on any brands either, just want a reliable engine that I can run 250-300 runs a season on without issues.

Posts: 318 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 1355PRO
posted Hide Post
Not BBC but I have Molnar’s in my BBM and Mike Janis said they were a very nice piece when he built it.

Eric Macchiaroli
S/R1355 80 Arrow

Posts: 741 | Location: Glenshaw PA | Registered: February 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I don't know what your price range is but for around $600 the Molnar CH6800VTB8-A is a very good rod.

If you're not opposed to "off shore" parts the best of those IMO is the CBC-6800I rod from http://www.racingpartsmaximum.com all their BBC rods come with ARP 2000 bolts and can be bought for around $400

Obviously you know to address crank balance if whatever rod you decide on is lighter than 30-ish grams or heavier than 10-ish grams
That's assuming your crank was balanced at a standard 50% bob weight originally....

Retired after 45yrs and closed my shop so I'm not trying to sell you anything. Just some info to help you make a choice..

This message has been edited. Last edited by: imakehp,

Dave

Living to serve mankind....

Posts: 3073 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Hughes:
Time to freshen the 598 in my car and i’m wanting to put a set of rods in it this go round. This shortblock was originally assembled in 2006 and still has the same crank, rods, and pistons. I believe the rods are 6.800 length and they are Manley I beam pro series or whatever their top of the line rod is called. They have been good

These rods have been in this engine for 11 years and you're considering another rod?

O'IT!

Offering 1st hand experience and advice based on track proven performance, on the web since 1998.

Support our President! Support our Troops! Support our economy! Buy American!!

"if you guys are so broke dyck you can't buy USA made parts you need to stay the fuc at home that's the bottomline" ----Tim McAmis

Posts: 9025 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The Manley Pro I beam is a good USA mfg rod ,Have some running for years in BBC bracket engines.Bill C.

Checkered Flag Machine and Ceralli Competition Engines
checkeredflagmachine.net/
Racing engines and induction development

Posts: 141 | Location: Paterson N.J. | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming the post above meant....

"These rods have been in this engine for 11 years and you're considering another brand rod?

This particular question, in that context, does have merit.

Dave

Living to serve mankind....

Posts: 3073 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of JP Miller
posted Hide Post

Posts: 96 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Have to agree.If they worked for 11 years I would buy another set and never look back.

http://www.schooledbyscotty.com/
Only the stupid know too much to learn something new.
Chris McBride

deplorables saving america one vote at a time

Posts: 1084 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Without seeing the new Manley's I'd go with the Callies rods or Crower.

Posts: 1135 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Canted Valve
posted Hide Post
quote:
If they worked for 11 years I would buy another set and never look back.

In the old day I would instantly agree, but..... With today's outsourcing and marketing you can't depend on consistency. At least not across the board.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 1310 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Hughes:
Time to freshen the 598 in my car and i’m wanting to put a set of rods in it this go round. This shortblock was originally assembled in 2006 and still has the same crank, rods, and pistons. I believe the rods are 6.800 length and they are Manley I beam pro series or whatever their top of the line rod is called. They have been good

These rods have been in this engine for 11 years and you're considering another rod?

This was precisely the reason for asking the original question. I haven’t purchased rods for 11 years. How do I know there isnt a better rod out there and how do I know that the Manley is still the same quality rod as I’ve tun all this time? At Sema the Manley rep told me I should be changing them every 2 seasons in my application. Seemed like kind of a short life cycle for a top of the line steel rod in a 7400 rpm bracket motor.

Posts: 318 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
I don't know what your price range is but for around $600 the Molnar CH6800VTB8-A is a very good rod.

If you're not opposed to "off shore" parts the best of those IMO is the CBC-6800I rod from http://www.racingpartsmaximum.com all their BBC rods come with ARP 2000 bolts and can be bought for around $400

Obviously you know to address crank balance if whatever rod you decide on is lighter than 30-ish grams or heavier than 10-ish grams
That's assuming your crank was balanced at a standard 50% bob weight originally....

Retired after 45yrs and closed my shop so I'm not trying to sell you anything. Just some info to help you make a choice..

At this point price isnt an issue, i’m going to spend the money if needed to make the engine as reliable as it can be for years to come. I’m not opposed to saving money either, but I dont want to cut any corners on this piece. I can afford to freshen it but I cant afford to blow it up and start over.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Manley Pro Series are still made in nj.
If they were outsourcing they'd be dirt cheap like an h beam rod.
I can even sell you a set if desired when the time comes.

Posts: 639 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Oliver Rods is what I would go with. Manley Rods are good as well as Callies. It is all personal preference, I like Oliver

Many places make their rods in America, but not only does Oliver make them in america, but they also get their material from america and the material is also inspected to meet aviation standards

so Oliver Rods are made in america and the material comes from america. I dont know if this is the case or not with competitors

Posts: 270 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
Manley’s have served me well in any engine that I have had. Steel or aluminum

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 549 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
Both my engines, one built by Huntsville and the other built by Sunset Racecraft have Callies Ultra I beam rods. I can also tell you that Tracy Dennis told me that Oliver rods were junk.

O'IT!

Offering 1st hand experience and advice based on track proven performance, on the web since 1998.

"if you guys are so broke dyck you can't buy USA made parts you need to stay the fuc at home that's the bottomline" ----Tim McAmis

Posts: 9025 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Wish he had told me that before HE put them in my 582...”

Posts: 539 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR All Star
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
It's what he told me.

O'IT!

DRR Trophy
Picture of 6Volt
posted Hide Post
I run Callies Ultra I-Beams in my 565. I put in a new set every 1000 passes and haven’t had any issue. Good pieces!

Cody Harger
Charger Racing

Posts: 51 | Location: West Monroe, LA | Registered: January 28, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of JP Miller
posted Hide Post
Lot's of people run Oliver but in my opinion the Callies Ultra HD I beam is a better rod.

Posts: 96 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post