Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Starting delay box setting
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Starting delay box setting
 Login/Join
 
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted
Looking to try my hand at some top bulb racing.

Wondering what would be a starting delay box setting.

2700 lb door car, should be in the 4.90 et range.
 
Posts: 171 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Coloradoracer
posted Hide Post
It's all going to depend on car, driver reaction, etc....for a starting point, you can put 1.2 seconds in it and do a few hits then adjust from there...


Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
 
Posts: 1323 | Location: Back home in Colorado! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
pro brake or std? if pro 1.050 if regular 1.000 as a start and go from there. There are alot of variables
 
Posts: 578 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HR3377:
pro brake or std? if pro 1.050 if regular 1.000 as a start and go from there. There are alot of variables


Pro brake 3 speed
 
Posts: 171 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Whats your normal tree on a 4 or 5 tenths pro?
 
Posts: 89 | Location: Inverness, Fl | Registered: November 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NortonRacing:
Whats your normal tree on a 4 or 5 tenths pro?


.500 full tree.
 
Posts: 171 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
In a fast car with a 3 speed, I'd think 1.150 will be close.


Tony Leonard
 
Posts: 2944 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR S/Pro
Picture of Mike Rietow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
In a fast car with a 3 speed, I'd think 1.150 will be close.


So, 020 red on a .370 pro tree.

I hope it ain't got small tires, none I know of that can do that, staged shallow.


https://youtu.be/FZ6zwnyDwUg

http://ottm.store

https://youtu.be/I8QWEaqeFRw

1996, 1998, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008 Super Pro Champion Sunshine Dragstrip, Clearwater Florida
 
Posts: 8821 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
how old is the OP? i am .020 slower than my 23 year old son.

i would start at 1.120 to 1.135 and then adjust.

ep
 
Posts: 660 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Just make the math easy.
2 hits with 1.0 second delay, add the amount you're red, plus .010


"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375
 
Posts: 1173 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
In a fast car with a 3 speed, I'd think 1.150 will be close.


So, 020 red on a .370 pro tree.

I hope it ain't got small tires, none I know of that can do that, staged shallow.


Ah, no. That's 20 green on a .370 Pro Tree with zero in the box.


Tony Leonard
 
Posts: 2944 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
Just make the math easy.
2 hits with 1.0 second delay, add the amount you're red, plus .010


^^ This ^^


Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com
 
Posts: 552 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Mike Rietow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
In a fast car with a 3 speed, I'd think 1.150 will be close.


So, 020 red on a .370 pro tree.

I hope it ain't got small tires, none I know of that can do that, staged shallow.


Ah, no. That's 20 green on a .370 Pro Tree with zero in the box.


1.000 is .000 500 pro tree right?

1.100 is .000 400 pro tree right?

1.130 is .000 370 pro tree right?

1.150 is +.020 or -.020 370 pro tree? Confused

I've done some .370 racing, 6.50 index. I was told it was near impossible staged shallow 3200 lbs sbc.

JW fast valvebody, with a handful of test hits.

It can definitely be done, even on 10' wide bias slicks.


This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,


https://youtu.be/FZ6zwnyDwUg

http://ottm.store

https://youtu.be/I8QWEaqeFRw

1996, 1998, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008 Super Pro Champion Sunshine Dragstrip, Clearwater Florida
 
Posts: 8821 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
In a fast car with a 3 speed, I'd think 1.150 will be close.


So, 020 red on a .370 pro tree.

I hope it ain't got small tires, none I know of that can do that, staged shallow.


Ah, no. That's 20 green on a .370 Pro Tree with zero in the box.


1.000 is .000 500 pro tree right?

1.100 is .000 400 pro tree right?

1.130 is .000 370 pro tree right?

1.150 is +.020 or -.020 370 pro tree? Confused

I've done some .370 racing, 6.50 index. I was told it was near impossible staged shallow 3200 lbs sbc.

JW fast valvebody, with a handful of test hits.

It can definitely be done, even on 10' wide bias slicks.


I see how you're thinking about it, but of course your ramblings are difficult to comprehend.

Yes, 1.150 would imply that the car can go -.020 red on a .370 Pro Tree.

1.150 is pretty common bracket dragster territory. A 4-second 3-speed car should be within range. I'm not telling him to roll up there first round with that setting, but it should be in the ballpark.


Tony Leonard
 
Posts: 2944 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post



DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pauley:
how old is the OP? i am .020 slower than my 23 year old son.

i would start at 1.120 to 1.135 and then adjust.

ep


I’m 52 years old.
 
Posts: 171 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
In a fast car with a 3 speed, I'd think 1.150 will be close.


So, 020 red on a .370 pro tree.

I hope it ain't got small tires, none I know of that can do that, staged shallow.


Ah, no. That's 20 green on a .370 Pro Tree with zero in the box.


1.000 is .000 500 pro tree right?

1.100 is .000 400 pro tree right?

1.130 is .000 370 pro tree right?

1.150 is +.020 or -.020 370 pro tree? Confused

I've done some .370 racing, 6.50 index. I was told it was near impossible staged shallow 3200 lbs sbc.

JW fast valvebody, with a handful of test hits.

It can definitely be done, even on 10' wide bias slicks.


I see how you're thinking about it, but of course your ramblings are difficult to comprehend.

Yes, 1.150 would imply that the car can go -.020 red on a .370 Pro Tree.

1.150 is pretty common bracket dragster territory. A 4-second 3-speed car should be within range. I'm not telling him to roll up there first round with that setting, but it should be in the ballpark.


Definitely need to get some test laps to get an idea of where I need to be.

I have a full size LED bulb practice tree in the garage I wire to my T-brake button for practice, but with this being a new car, the car roll out setting is pretty much a guess.

Been using .24 rollout and 1.105 delay to come up with oh, teen and twenty lights.
 
Posts: 171 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
No magic #!

If you are accustomed to leaving off the bottom bulb it'll take some adjustment to leave off the top bulb,mat the throttle, button pressure,...

Doesn't matter how old you are, what cereal you ate in the morning,what color your car is or if you're bald, every car is going to leave differently.

I used to zero everything out on my practice tree on a pro tree to have my personal reaction time. Try to group them close.
That's all a practice tree is good for in my opinion.

Put a number in and leave it there for as many passes you can get and adjust from there. Best would be a track rental. I know a racer that would run to past 60', stop, back up instead of making a full pass and try again 20 minutes later.

Your results may vary


Cool
 
Posts: 443 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Mike Rietow
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
In a fast car with a 3 speed, I'd think 1.150 will be close.


So, 020 red on a .370 pro tree.

I hope it ain't got small tires, none I know of that can do that, staged shallow.


Ah, no. That's 20 green on a .370 Pro Tree with zero in the box.


1.000 is .000 500 pro tree right?

1.100 is .000 400 pro tree right?

1.130 is .000 370 pro tree right?

1.150 is +.020 or -.020 370 pro tree? Confused

I've done some .370 racing, 6.50 index. I was told it was near impossible staged shallow 3200 lbs sbc.

JW fast valvebody, with a handful of test hits.

It can definitely be done, even on 10' wide bias slicks.


I see how you're thinking about it, but of course your ramblings are difficult to comprehend.

Yes, 1.150 would imply that the car can go -.020 red on a .370 Pro Tree.

1.150 is pretty common bracket dragster territory. A 4-second 3-speed car should be within range. I'm not telling him to roll up there first round with that setting, but it should be in the ballpark.


It's not how I'm thinking about it. I defined what you implied by suggesting 1.150 delay.

Nothing more, nothing less.

If I did suggest a delay here based on the info in play, I'd also include don't plan on a good rt first at bat, unless it's pure luck.


https://youtu.be/FZ6zwnyDwUg

http://ottm.store

https://youtu.be/I8QWEaqeFRw

1996, 1998, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008 Super Pro Champion Sunshine Dragstrip, Clearwater Florida
 
Posts: 8821 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Been using .24 rollout and 1.105 delay to come up with oh, teen and twenty lights. ____________________________________________
Some math. Full tree is 1.5 seconds from first to green.

1.105 + 0.240 = 1.345

1.500 - 1.345 = .155

Add the teen and twenty lights to .155 and that's "your" personal reaction time.


Years ago I was .170 to .180 on my practice tree. Thinking I'm a little slower now. But as long as consistent.

I'd put 1.100 in to start and adjust the box from there like Goob said. Make as many hits that you can. You could go 1.200 if they show RT on the scoreboard, everyone would think you are a duck. I wouldn't know anyone that would do that though Razz

Good luck.


Cool
 
Posts: 443 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, good info.

Gives me a plan to pick a number and adjust from there. Should be ready to make some initial hits come spring. New car is almost done, just too late in the season to try and get out to test.
 
Posts: 171 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Starting delay box setting

© DragRaceResults.com 2023