DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Chevy Colorado engine swap headers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chevy Colorado engine swap headers
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
I am beginning to build a 2004 - 2012 Chevy Colorado [1st gen Colorado]. This is a clean sheet so far, with the availability of headers being a possible influence on engine choice. I see plenty of LS engine headers, but so far, I do not see any first-gen small block headers. [which is my first choice of engines because of my experience and because of having most of the parts on hand to build one]

This will be a relatively mild, foot brake build-up for my Daughter and some of the grandchildren. Some of which maybe be good race drivers.

Does anyone have experience with this package?

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Larry:
I built an '11 colorado as a bracket car. I put an LS in it along with motor plates. I am almost 100% positive there arent 1st gen small block headers available for that combination. I do know there are a couple of LS swap headers out there though. Originally I was going to use stock motor mounts so I bought a set of doug thorley headers for just that application, but they don't work with the 6 bolt LS heads. When I cut those off and went to motor plates, Ultimate headers in ohio built me a set of long tube 1-7/8 diameter stainless headers and they fit a treat.

Posts: 63 | Location: youngstown, oh | Registered: February 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Brian, I agree, I have not found any 1st gen SB headers for those trucks.

As an experiment, I can borrow a set of fender well exit headers for an S-10. I will take a look at those for possible fitment. I am OK with removing part of the factory front inner wheel shield if it is required. This is a trailer, dedicated drag truck.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Larry why not build your own its not that tough I have done 3 sets over the years for my vet if I can I am sure a man of your obvious talents could

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 396 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Vetman, I may do so if necessary.

Larry Woodfin