DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Need help with car not coming well off of the stop
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help with car not coming well off of the stop
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
For those saying the fuel pressure drop is a red Flag, what would you look for and do?

Posts: 106 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Set it at 6.5 idling and go race.

Posts: 32 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: September 24, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Nichols
posted Hide Post
Cam Specs? Which intake are you running?

Posts: 157 | Location: Charlestown, IN U.S.A | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Nichols
posted Hide Post
Comparing the two heads, you went from a 2.300 valve to 2.400 valve on the AFRs. The cross sectional area appears to be larger as well. The flow rate on the heads has the AFR at least 70 CFM larger in most areas. I think it is a velocity problem trying to recover off the stop.
The 385 head makes great power but it may be sensitive to throttle stop recovery WITH the existing combination. Now, soon as I say that someone else will, of course, say they have no problem running that head on a throttle stop. It sounds sluggish and that seems to point to a velocity problem.

Posts: 157 | Location: Charlestown, IN U.S.A | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BLIND MULE 2217
posted Hide Post
I'm saying forget the stop. Its not even running WO. Figure that out and it will probably fix the issue on the stop. Weve had several 482-496 plain jane combos 60' with this 582. It doesn't have some type of gear retard or something does it?

Posts: 354 | Location: Opelika AL, | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
I would run into the same problem with nitrous guys. I would tell them they must get the engine to run clean OFF the bottle BEFORE turning it on. They would tell me they will never race without the nitrous. I would say so what, why chase possible issues when tuning the nitrous that were caused by a mistuned engine to begin with. Not saying the OP has not tuned it yet without the stop, but haven't seen evidence that he did.

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BLIND MULE 2217:
I'm saying forget the stop. Its not even running WO. Figure that out and it will probably fix the issue on the stop. Weve had several 482-496 plain jane combos 60' with this 582. It doesn't have some type of gear retard or something does it?

Our home built 511 has had 60 foot times around 1.07 and consistent 60 foot times of 1.10

I agree, focus on getting the motor right without the stop and then worry about the stop later... right now it is just an extra element to the puzzle

Posts: 794 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
What type of fuel?

Posts: 4 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: December 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
I believe you have other issues going on, but 140 psi on the cooler is high, and can take out Thrust bearing in the engine.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I am hoping to get out next weekend to test wide open.

The test passes I have made wide open I thought were better than my old engine, but is still slow compared to everyone here. With as hot and humid it has been here, we did not think a 1.13 was horrible.

The cam is the standard 582 cam that sunset uses, i will have to look tonight. I am running sonoco maximal for fuel.

I will be lowering the fuel pressure and testing the compression this week before going out.

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions.

Posts: 106 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
A lot of the remarks here are coming from places a lot closer to sea level than we are. Saying the 60' should be a tenth better is ludicrous. Around here, I'd say that 1.10 is a reasonable to good 60' for a ~950 hp dragster.

I think those saying you have a fuel issue are more concerned that it doesn't maintain the same pressure at idle and all the way down the track; the 2 psi drop.

If you're always coming off the stop in High gear, I'd try doing it in Low once just to see if the behavior changes. But I do agree that making sure it runs well wide open first is critical. I don't know what the total weight is, but I'd think it should go sub-5.00 to the 1/8.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
A lot of the remarks here are coming from places a lot closer to sea level than we are. Saying the 60' should be a tenth better is ludicrous. Around here, I'd say that 1.10 is a reasonable to good 60' for a ~950 hp dragster.

I think those saying you have a fuel issue are more concerned that it doesn't maintain the same pressure at idle and all the way down the track; the 2 psi drop.

If you're always coming off the stop in High gear, I'd try doing it in Low once just to see if the behavior changes. But I do agree that making sure it runs well wide open first is critical. I don't know what the total weight is, but I'd think it should go sub-5.00 to the 1/8.

Tony,
we came off the stop in 1st gear at the national 1st round, and while the rpm graph was better the e.t. was only .01 faster than coming out in high gear.

I think that part of my pressure drop is the way my sensor is mounted remotely in front my regulator. I am going to turn it down and test without the stop for sure.