DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Detroit Locker or Yukon Grizzly Locker?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Detroit Locker or Yukon Grizzly Locker?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
We're taking this off the track & putting it back on the street.

Fab 9 with a Strange Pro iron center, with a spool.

Spool is out, what do you like? I'm leaning towards the Yukon locker, I was pretty impressed by the parts Yukon sent to build the rearend in the 71 split bumper Camaro.

They're customer service sucks, but their product seemed ok.

I'm thinking Grizzly Locker with a 3.90 gear.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I used to run a detroit locker in my old 81' chevy pickup. loved it. But, pretty harsh sometimes when they do lock up, and if you corner under power, they won't unlock....but they are brutally strong....and last pretty much forever.....

Never ran the grizzly so can't speak for that one....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
I used to run a detroit locker in my old 81' chevy pickup. loved it. But, pretty harsh sometimes when they do lock up, and if you corner under power, they won't unlock....but they are brutally strong....and last pretty much forever.....

Never ran the grizzly so can't speak for that one....

That's what we're looking for. We're looking at a Eaton from Strange, Detroit locker and Yukon locker. Most likely do a Gear Vender overdrive on the powerglide eventually, with a 3.90 or 4.11 final. Thanks

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of SlyFox
posted Hide Post
Off-topic, but I made wooden blocks very similar to those under the front wheels in the photo to rest my car on when working underneath it. Jack stands just make me uneasy. I don't want to me the guy that has a car fall on him.

Mike

Posts: 1562 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: December 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
The Yukon Eaton style posi in my wifes car did not last that long. running 11.80.
Changing to a full spool as she very rarely drives it on the street any longer.

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlyFox:
Off-topic, but I made wooden blocks very similar to those under the front wheels in the photo to rest my car on when working underneath it. Jack stands just make me uneasy. I don't want to me the guy that has a car fall on him.

I built this car in the early 2000's. We've had Big blocks and small blocks in it.

I think it was a BMR k member I used. It's powder coated, nothing you wanna scratch up with jackstands.

Nice car top to bottom. We prefer the factory condition small tire cars, if you hadn't noticed.

It's all ya need.

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Detroit locker hands down.
tomsdifferentials.com
Standard and race only units.
He doesn't offer the Yukon, that means it's imported and / or junk.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1615 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
I ran a 12 bolt rear for many years running a Moroso Brute Strength Differential. It never let me down and still street able. Don't know if any things available for a 9 inch.

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Detroit locker, but - what axles do you intend/are going to use? Race alloy material or street forging? And what spline? I think that would narrow down the candidates some – (?).

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 138 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
The Eaton style posi unit is a great design, but if you run one with slicks, you MUST upgrade to the heavier springs in it. They were designed primarily for street use, with street tires. (IIRC the stock springs are rated at 400 LB, the readily available heavy-duty 800# springs will keep it functioning properly on the strip). The Moroso Brute Strength posi unit is basically an Eaton type, with the heavy springs. When you run slicks, if 1 of the tires is on dry pavement when you are doing your burnout, the weaker "street" springs can allow the unit to slip and spin just 1 tire, which will burn out the clutches in a hurry. (And gall the cross shaft that runs through the spider gears). I've had to cut one of those shafts that was badly damaged with a torch, to get the unit out of the housing. A spool is obviously preferred for 100% strip duty, but not so great on the street. For Street/Strip use, a properly set up Eaton, a Moroso BF, or a Detroit Locker are the best option, IMHO.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Any objections to me claiming this is good for 1000 hp?

She gonna have the spray.

L19 bolts

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Whoever nitrited and finished this crankshaft here in the states, did a superb job.

It used to be the quality of the finish -tolerances told the quality of the crankshaft.

This one is T I T S according to my micrometer. Tolerances as good as my Lunati Pro sbc crank.

Very impressed/pleased, it should get the job done, well.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Scored some Big Block goodies right around the corner from West Palm - PBIR.

No doubt the Duramax rolls dow n the highway better with the Valvoline gear oil. No question about it.

Just got back. This guy has had a engine shop for 30 years serving racers at West Palm. Sad deal down there.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Lockers, for when the local track taps out by stealing your winnings, because you make it look too easy.

If you have a small tire factory condition street car like I do, it's an easy transition back to the street.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Welcome, you've just stepped into the Twilight Zone..

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4448 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
Welcome, you've just stepped into the Twilight Zone..

I agree, Twilight Zone

It's no wonder track officials ran away from a clarification, considering the video screamed liars, cheats, thieves!! Wink

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Oh, you had an issue with track officials??
I hadn't heard that...a thousand times....over and over... Didn't think of that

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4448 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, you had an issue with track officials??
I hadn't heard that...a thousand times....over and over... Didn't think of that

I don't seem to get along with anyone who twists the fabric of reality. It's the bare minimum for my own self respect, I intend keep it this way. Smile

There's only two types of people, nazi's and the type who undermine nazi's.

Regardless of popular belief, there's no self respect in taking it in the a hole from nazi's without a peep.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
"there's no self respect in taking it in the a hole from nazi's without a peep."

So, you're saying the guy you had anal sex with was a nazi??
That's why you "peep" about it so much? HMMMM

Dave

F J B

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
"there's no self respect in taking it in the a hole from nazi's without a peep."

So, you're saying the guy you had anal sex with was a nazi??
That's why you "peep" about it so much? HMMMM

You must be one them amoral conservatives.

Conservative only when it is expedient.

Counterfeit conservative Wink