DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    CO2 Shifter Solenoid
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CO2 Shifter Solenoid
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
The solenoid leaks out the exhaust while activated. I don't see anything obviously wrong with the internals. Does anybody have an oring kit? It's the square one like biondo uses. I know they're only $70 something but I hate to throw it away when a couple bucks worth of orings would probably fix it

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a Mac valve brand if not you can go to most any good supply store and match the O ring .

Posts: 62 | Location: Horse Cave Ky | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 475 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link, looks like a good deal. I got this one working but will probably grab one of those for a spare.

Not sure what I did to fix it except maybe reduced the travel a little by turning the plug on the bottom. If I tighten that plug all the way, the plunger has no travel left. I backed it off a hair and it works without leaking but is maybe a little restrictive.

This whole thing started because I wanted to move my solenoids to my bottle so I didn't have to be as worried about a leak emptying my bottle out. Using air launchers is kinda nice but definetely more to worry about.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
every connection is something to worry about. I know that and still add more stuff.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BJs Wild Ride:
Not sure what I did to fix it except maybe reduced the travel a little by turning the plug on the bottom. If I tighten that plug all the way, the plunger has no travel left. I backed it off a hair and it works without leaking but is maybe a little restrictive.

I use Humphrey electric over air solenoids and the first thing I do prior to installing one is to scribe a line on the piston cover and case and remove the piston and spring. Humphrey puts a small amount of grease on the piston rubber and after a while dirt will get stuck on the grease and they leak. I clean the grease off and return to original position which is probably in the 3/4 to 1 turn from bottoming range.

Posts: 2434 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark, makes sense now. I was expecting the bottom plug to register on the body to set travel and thought maybe this body was messed up. From what you're saying, I think the plug had just backed out a turn or so. Doesn't take much I guess. I'm probably only about 1/2 turn from bottoming now so that may be why it seems restricted. Kinda tempted to take a punch to the body to keep the plug from backing out again.

Got everything fixed up and re-plumbed and the regulator started leaking and emptied the bottle out. Apparently the oring inside of the regulator had given out at some point in the past and somebody had made one out of silicon. Turns out that the oring inside of a fancy tire valve stem cap is the exact right size.