DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Racepak and newer laptops
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Racepak and newer laptops
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted
What are you all doing to get your racepaks to communicate with these newer lap tops with no serial ports? None of the USB to serial cables I have will work. All drivers are up to date

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 456 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
You need to make sure that the USB to serial adapter is being recognized before attempting to communicate with the RacePak. Install the adapter and start “Device Manager” on the laptop. From there you will be able to see if the adapter has been installed and what Com port it is using.

Posts: 116 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
What are you all doing to get your racepaks to communicate with these newer lap tops with no serial ports? None of the USB to serial cables I have will work. All drivers are up to date

usually that's the USB converter. Don't know why but many generic USB converters work ok and then don't. The ones that come from Racepak are modified and always work. I have them - $47.

If you follow Rodney's direction above regarding Device Manager it should say Racepak USB device if it's the RP moded unit.

One last thought - if you have the Grid software (and some EFI systems) open there can be a conflict in getting Com/USB ports.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
Ok so the cable I had bought originally wasn't compatible with windows 10. Bought another one and got all the drivers installed and it still won't communicate with the display dash. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the data link software and still no luck. I can plug any other USB device in and it will work instantly. FYI everything works and is labeled fine I was just wanting to update the firmware because I have never done it

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 456 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
Ok so the cable I had bought originally wasn't compatible with windows 10. Bought another one and got all the drivers installed and it still won't communicate with the display dash. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the data link software and still no luck. I can plug any other USB device in and it will work instantly. FYI everything works and is labeled fine I was just wanting to update the firmware because I have never done it

give me a call Daryl 609-265-2110

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I recently obtained a Dell Latitude Laptop with Windows 10 and the Racepak USB adapter would not work with it. I went to the device manager and it comes up with unknown adapter and error 10. Called Racepak and was told to remove the latest DATALINK software and install the previous version 4.8.12 and it should solve the issue. Unfortunately it did not work. Went to Best Buy and bought a new Insignia adapter Model NS-PU99501 and my laptop recognized it right away. After setting the Com port, I am now I am able to communicate with Racepak and my MSD Digital 7 ignition.

Posts: 293 | Location: New Milford, CT USA | Registered: December 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software
posted Hide Post
Make sure you get an FTDI chipset in the USB adapter, they are more expensive but always work. I stock them for this reason.

Stay away from Prolific chipset type cables. These will only work on old computers. Usually a prolific chipset type cable will be Silver in color. Stay away from silver...

Crew Chief Pro 7.980. It is not an evolution in Crew Chief Software, it is a Revolution in Crew Chief Software
Drag Racing Software and Professional Weather Stations(309) 688-2990

Visit us on the web at http://www.crewchiefpro.com

Are you a Producer or a Parasite?

Author of the book, "But Who Will Save The Children."

Posts: 1381 | Location: Bartonville Illinois | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Higgins Crew Chief Pro Software:
Make sure you get an FTDI chipset in the USB adapter, they are more expensive but always work. I stock them for this reason.

Stay away from Prolific chipset type cables. These will only work on old computers. Usually a prolific chipset type cable will be Silver in color. Stay away from silver...

x2. I use the FTDI US232R-100 cable.

Posts: 34 | Location: Texas | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post