DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Looking for cam and intake suggestions.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for cam and intake suggestions.
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I’m building a 350 for my 1960 Chevrolet pickup. It is strictly a street car.Just something I take my grandsons riding around in sometimes on Saturday night.
Turbo 350 transmission with stock converter. Not sure on the rear end gears, it definitely pretty mild.
What’s a good all around intake I can use, also a good aftermarket camshaft. I really just want enough cam to give it a lumpy idle when sitting at a stoplight or cruising around the Sonic!

Posts: 403 | Location: a race track near you | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
26+ pages coming in 3.2.1…..

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If it was mine I would go with a dual plane intake. A performer or maybe even a performer airgap. For the cam I know most will disagree but a replica of the old 350hp 327 cam has a nice rumble to the idle. Especially with a dual exhaust with some nice mufflers. Magnaflows or something similar. Not a fan of the flow masters myself. Now I know there are more modern/ better cams available. I have used this same setup on two different vehicles one a s10 blazer my wife daily drove for years and both were exactly what it sounds like you are after. And yes both vehicles had stock converter

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Agree on edlebrock intake. I did see engine master dyno comparison.One thing I notcied was if you take a perforn=mer and cut part of divider it makes almost exact same power as air gap at lot less. Ebay has lots of them. Another plus IMO is performer does have the dirt trap between ruuners and base as air gap does,big plus on street driven vehicle.
As for cam you could always go Edlebrock package and run either Performer rpm of torquer.Both have goo idle with enough choppy sound to tell its got bigger cam,but they don't kill bottom end.
Also agree magnaflow or borla's and I hate flow master myself. I would go either 3.42 or 3.27 gear depnding on trans and how you like to drive.

Also 10 cool points for building it so you spend time with grandson and make automotive memories.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the cool points!

I bought and installed a battery on my oldest (11 years old) grandsons 4 wheeler yesterday and today I’m fixing his little brothers go cart. They keep me busy but I like helping them out.

Posts: 403 | Location: a race track near you | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
The performer style intakes, cheap chinese versions work fine. Last mild 350 I built had a Summit hydraulic cam, worked good and sounded good. Breaking in the cam is the only stressful part. Then everyone will tell you about all of the special oils and such. I broke it in on Comp break-in oil and ran it on Rotella. It's still going strong in a bracket S10.

Posts: 1458 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
X2 on Eman's reply, cheap and sound good too.

Posts: 608 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Previously I used Doug Herbert cams, good generic grinds. I'd also look at the Competition Products Elgin cam listings. Best bet is stick with the old tried and true grinds for a SBC. I've used the big name catchy name cams and can't say there is any bang for the buck in them.

Posts: 1458 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I like Bullet Cams, I would call them and tell them everything you have and they can help you. With that said on a relatively low horsepower deal you have a lot of good options as long as you do not get crazy.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4005 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Allred
posted Hide Post
The Comp cams catchy named “Thumper” - small version with .465 lift or so will work good for you. Sounds great, smooths out by 1200 rpm, and has good torque. Any dual plane would work with a 650 carb. Lock out the distributor at around 38 degrees. Cruise on grandpa!

Mike Allred

Posts: 276 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: March 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post