DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    S10 on the track..finally.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S10 on the track..finally.
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Made a few runs and got to the scale.

Front weight 1700 lbs.
Rear weight 1315 lbs.

Currently have QA1 front Pro-Coilovers on it with 275-lb spring.

What is a good rear spring rate to start with?

What about starting point for the double-adjustable QA1s?

Thanks!

Jok

www.trailertoad.com designed by racers for racers.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
probably 110-130 on rear. 4link or ladder bar

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
Can't go wrong with the Calvert split mono's.

tell us more about the truck ........

Posts: 1422 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have 130s on it, they are right at 9.25 with weight on truck. S&W four-link rear frame kit.
Pretty mild 406 with 'glide.
14x32s with 4.88 gear.
Nose heavy at 1680 front and 1315 rear.
Going to throw about 100 on rear frame rails if I have time this week.
QA1 Pro Coilovers on front. QA1 on rear, both dbl adjustable.

First week out ran three 6.50s and a 6.48 at end of day raising chip to 4200.

I'd throw on some photos but not sure how to get them to this site ??

Jok

Posts: 1219 | Location: Janesville, IA | Registered: December 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
130 on mine as well...

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.
Jok

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Jok, if you have other springs to experiment with try a 125 or 110 range. In my experience, it is OK to crank up the spring seats as much as 1 or 2 inches to achieve ride height desired. "Generally speaking" you want just enough spring to support the weight. Too much spring rate makes the suspension unnecessary stiff.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1834 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My Vega runs 6.40s it has 1355 pounds on the rear. I run 110 pound springs on the rear. Any stiffer and car just won’t work.

Posts: 495 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wooley:
My Vega runs 6.40s it has 1355 pounds on the rear. I run 110 pound springs on the rear. Any stiffer and car just won’t work.
No comparison to S10

Posts: 1259 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a set of #110 I might try if it still acts too stiff. I think I found the problem though on the top bars and anti-roll. I will know tomorrow.
Thanks!

Jok

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Aren't those frt. springs pretty stiff?

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
I had 300lb coil over front springs on my S10 with QA1s. I replaced them with Moroso #47130 trick springs and AFCO BNC dbl adj because we couldnt get weight transfer very well.

Clark

Posts: 125 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
Jok,
We have 110lb springs on the rear of mine, and rebound 12 from tight, and compression 8 from tight.

Posts: 125 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
With me in it:
1716 front weight
1224 rear weight

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Clark, how fast was your truck?
Ladder or 4-link?

Posts: 41 | Location: east central ohio | Registered: October 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
It has been 6.36 @ 107. It is a 4 link. 6.40s in the summer. Alot of the things we did came from input from Larry W...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CAD,

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Clark thanks for the info.
We also based a lot of our build on the S10 that Larry built and also got feed back from him.
Ours with a LS including driver weighs 3307lbs.
991 LF
940 RF
690 LR
686 RR
We have 110 springs in the rear as well.

Posts: 41 | Location: east central ohio | Registered: October 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Pretty happy the next time out.
Only varying .003-.015 in 330'. Seems to start with variance in 60',

We just added another 55 lbs to back (now 140 lbs on rear of frame. Front came up about 1/4", rear down about an 1/8th.

I think we are very close. leaving the 130 lb rear springs on and 275 front. Transfers weight right away but with 2" drop spindles I only have about 3" of front shock travel left?? Guess we will find out in a couple weeks.

Thanks,

Jok

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Toad1 , are the weights you show with a driver?

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Yes. I drove it onto the scales.

Since I weighed it I have put about 135 lbs at the back of the frame (behind the rear valance). It should help but until the rain quits I won;t know for sure. Try it out at the Terry Stumpf Memorial $2000 / $5000 weekend at Cedar Falls Motorsports Park in two weeks.
How do I load a short video I have on my phone?? Interested in what your opinions are. Only 4 seconds I think.

Jok