DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster gear ratio
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster gear ratio
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted
The top dragster guys are either racing or don't want to mess with slow cars. LOL. So I will post in Tech.

This is unchartered territory for me. Was: Small block rear engine 4 link car. Ran 7.9's with 8000 trap speed.

Added boost, took some test squirts at 10 psi. With terrible tire shake it ran 1.15 60', 4.797 1/8 and 148 mph. Obviously once I knock out the tire shake, the time will improve. I ran out of gear in the 1/4 and was tickling the rev limiter way early so coasted.
Wallace racing predicts 183 mph from that 1/8 mph.(does that sound right?) I'm shooting for low 7's out of this combo bracket racing.

It has a 4.30 gear and 107 rollout tire. I don't mind 8000 mph trap speed. I was showing 10 percent converter slip where I was letting off just after the 1/8th.
Initially I was thinking 4.10 would be my switch to gear. I'm still there 80%. Am I going to regret it? I can't think that this small block will be happy with anything number under 4.0. But I would prefer to not do this twice.
I don't need to rotate the earth and this is not a max effort build.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
what was your rev limiter set at when you let out, where were you on the track? 1,000 foot?

most likely a 4.10 will be plenty fine

Posts: 785 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
A 4.10 is less then a 5% change, doesn't sound as though that will get you to the stripe at the RPM you're shooting for?

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 11004 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by racerdude2054:
what was your rev limiter set at when you let out, where were you on the track? 1,000 foot?

most likely a 4.10 will be plenty fine

It was at 8000, but I noticed the setting gives a buffer zone where it starts dripping of 200. So I have some room to adjust there. I'm going to say it started at 900 feet or so where I lifted.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Koski:
A 4.10 is less then a 5% change, doesn't sound as though that will get you to the stripe at the RPM you're shooting for?

I was thinking that too, but I was probably only at 7800. A little converter work may help too.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
183 is probably accurate.

In Super Comp, my MPH at each point is 146/182. I've never run the car wide open in the 1/4 but it goes 1.06 4.66 @ 148 in the 1/8. I would expect something in the 7.35 - 7.40 @ 183-84 range in the 1/4.

This is N/A so I don't know how boost changes the 1/8 to 1/4 correlations.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3149 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Perfect. Thank you!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo