DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Loading Cart at Back of Trailer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loading Cart at Back of Trailer
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted
This probably sounds like a dumb question.
Do any of you load your golf cart behind your race cars?

I have always drove the cart in first, then load up everything else, (Generator, Compressor, jack, etc). Then load the car last. I don't really have any specific reason for doing it that way, other than where the D-Rings are positioned it makes strapping the car down toward the back easier and maybe safer.
And I guess a major consideration is that the big door car up front would make the side door useless.

Here is why I would rather put the car in front of the golf cart. If I get bounced early on race day, it would be nice to have the cart to ride around on, and not have to worry about loading up the race car hours later, with a cold engine (on alky). Can't use my winch with the golf cart already in the trailer. I suppose I could rig up a pulley system to make that work. But I really would prefer to have everything else loaded up except the cart, and maybe the folding table and some chairs.

I know I would need to reconfigure things up front in the trailer to make this a viable option, but I think I want to try it. I don't think it would drastically alter the loading balance of the trailer, the gas cart weighs at least 800 Lbs.

Anyone do this, (or tried it before), and what is/was the good and bad about doing it that way?

Thanks! Wink

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of suprodn
posted Hide Post
I have a double 60 inch side door on my trailer and load cart from side. Had trailer built that way for the very reason cart can be loaded or unloaded anytime. Cart in back of trailer may really bounce around.

Posts: 63 | Location: Watchn my motor go boom on the dyno | Registered: April 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
When I had my golf cart in the back of the trailer it got the crap beat out of it and was always moving around even with front and rear straps and 1 across the floor. I moved the dragster over to 1 side and backed the GC in until the majority of the weight was over the rear axle and no more issues.
The back of the trailer is the roughest ride inside the trailer so tie down the crap out of it and make sure you have a ratchet strap around your battery/batteries, that will be the first thing to break loose and could cause a fire

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
I pull my dragster in all the way to the front of my trailer and drive golf cart in straight behind it. Quickest and easiest set up to load and unload i’ve ever had. I use one strap across the floor of cart and have bungee chords holding the seat sonit doesnt bounce off on long trips. 32 ft performax with cabinets only on left side of trailer.

The Pull-Out....for when you want to work smarter, not harder!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
I moved golfcart to back of trailer a few years ago. Best decision i ever made. I was very nose heavy with the trailer to begin with, so moving this weight behind the tires balanced the trailer out. I can tell you that if i decide to tow without the golf cart i have to move the racecar back to where it was when i put the golf cart in front or the trailer does not tow well. One strap around the floor of golfcart and it does not move. I am looking at upgrading trailers as I have two jr's now and need to fit everything and still plan on having the golfcart at the rear of the trailer.

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen Hughes:
I pull my dragster in all the way to the front of my trailer and drive golf cart in straight behind it. Quickest and easiest set up to load and unload i’ve ever had. I use one strap across the floor of cart and have bungee chords holding the seat sonit doesnt bounce off on long trips. 32 ft performax with cabinets only on left side of trailer.

If I could pull in forward I would try this. But with a 28' trailer you can't do it. I have the dragster, the golf cart, generator and a jr on the floor in there. I don't want to back in the dragster, so I am stuck. When we don't take my car, we have to put the golf cart at the back with the jr for balance. I will say everything in the golf cart glove box is usually on the floor. LOL. So it must do some up and down.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I've seen a lot of carts pulled in the side door.
If you hang the front of a dragster?

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1620 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FootbrakeJim:
I suppose I could rig up a pulley system to make that work.

You could build a mount for your winch on the side of the trailer and use an anchor point in the center of the floor with a pulley to pull the car in.

It sounds like lots of guys are putting the cart in the back, but like was stated, almost everything gets bounced around back there, so make sure it's secured and your battery(s) in the cart are well secured so as to prevent a fire.

David Deming
1974 Chevy Nova Custom Hatchback
Horsepower Innovations E85 Carb

Posts: 325 | Location: Nampa, ID | Registered: October 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Yeah David, that idea is definitely on my short list of options...
My original plan was to do like Goob and Suprodn said - Drive cart in side door. So when I bought the trailer, a 48" door was a must-have. Built a ramp for it. Darn cart was exactly the width of the door opening, not a 1/4" to spare on either side. And it has a lift kit, so the roof of it didn't clear top of doorway. Since then, I replaced the tires & wheels with larger, wider ones, now it even scrapes the roof of cart going in the rear ramp door. (Did not think that would happen). Roll Eyes Now I need to shorten the roof frame on the cart.
Didn't think of that

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1032 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Just want to mention something here. There have been a lot of trailer fires through the years and many were started by a golf cart and the back of the trailer bounces way more than front.

The cart bounces and then shorts the battery and you have a fire. Probably much safer having it up front where it rides smoother. If you are going to put it n back make sure batteries on it are good and secure and can not bounce and short.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3985 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
Just want to mention something here. There have been a lot of trailer fires through the years and many were started by a golf cart and the back of the trailer bounces way more than front.

The cart bounces and then shorts the battery and you have a fire. Probably much safer having it up front where it rides smoother. If you are going to put it n back make sure batteries on it are good and secure and can not bounce and short.

I have one of those batter terminal screw disconnects. I disconnect battery no matter where the golf cart is, even when its on my open utility trailer. My cart has the battery hold down block like the avg car does.

302-786-1078

www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post