DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    firewall trans catch can install
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

firewall trans catch can install
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted
When installing the trans catch can on the firewall, the can has to be higher than the top of the trans. Seems obvious but do you run the vent hose out of the trans on top of the bellhousing to get to the front side of the firewall?

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I've been racing over 30 years and never had and still don't have a trans puke can on my door car(s).

You have a trans issue! Fix the problem, don't put a band aid on it.

https://drr.infopop.cc/eve/foru...197045496#5197045496

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I run them up the dipstick tube

Posts: 387 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I've been racing over 30 years and never had and still don't have a trans puke can on my door car(s).

You have a trans issue! Fix the problem, don't put a band aid on it.

I never had this problem either until I got this case. I've had it rebuilt at least twice and results are the same. Neither of these builders have a dyno so maybe I need to find a builder who can test it, although I read a post about Rossler sending one out that he dynoed and it still pushed fluid out. Pulling it out isn't easy for me anymore and not knowing if another rebuild will actually fix it makes the band aid approach appealing.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Ron, maybe it is a case problem but your trans builder should have identified it. So who are the trans builders that have rebuilt it twice?

Send it to Rossler and not only won't it push fluid when it comes back but you'll run quicker ETs too.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have never had a problem with transmission overflow but I do run good cooler with good PTFE? lines.

Have been told NHRA requires a transmission catch can.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Wrong

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Fluid level too high when hot?
I've never boiled my car over but have a tank on my radiator. I made a tank for my trans and used a clear hose on it and would see vapor in it, no fluid in can.

Posts: 1459 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eman:
Fluid level too high when hot?
I've never boiled my car over but have a tank on my radiator. I made a tank for my trans and used a clear hose on it and would see vapor in it, no fluid in can.

Check this thread out Eman:

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I use this, as some of us have to use them by rule, advanced ET and TS. Mounted to the firewall and I plumb the line to the bottom, vent on top and if anything got into it it can gravity feed back into the trans.

https://quartermax.com/transmission-overflow-kit/

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Al, you are correct in part that per the NHRA Rulebook, TS is required to have a trans puke tank but Advance ET is not, TD is also as it's rules come from TS. Now that said, tracks can require MORE than the rulebook states but being that tech is all but non existent, it's a safe bet that once you pay your entry fee you are good to go.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have had an overflow trans tank in my car for several years, I check it frequently and it has always been dry. If the class you run requires that you have one the solution is obvious, install one even if the results are the same as mine. That one time that it does overflow and sprays trans fluid under the rear tires can ruin a great day of racing, and the car.

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
i tapped into the puke tank for my vacuum pump and ran the line there

Posts: 41 | Location: oviedo, fl | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
So NHRA does have a rule about the trans overflow tank. Hmm.... Just not for slower cars.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I had to actually go look at the rulebook as I was curious. I actually is ONLY on TS not even for TD. I will also say as far as rules enforcement the closer you get to the mother ship the more they seem to get enforced. I assumed it was an advanced ET deal as I was asked about one at a bracket race because my car said TS on the door. Just another one of those rules that make no sense. I have to have one to run TS but I could go 6.50 bracket racing and its ok. Like the diaper rule, and some of the S/St rules. Or even the clothing rules that start at 7.49 but not until 4.50 for 1/8 mile. Or the 7.50 cage rule that does not have an 1/8 mile equivalent written anywhere. But I digress.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 989 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Actually the TD rules say to refer back to the TS rules, so the puke tank is required in TD. IF a track actually had tech, they could refer back to the ET breaks for TS and TD to enforce TD and TS rules like a trans puke tank, in advance ET but the bottomline is a trans puke tank is not required in any ET class or sportsman class except TD and TS.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Rules are rules, but put that all aside doesn't it make sense to have a puke tank just for safety sake?

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I think that is a good point. I don't currently have one but think the addition would be an added safety insurance.

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
Rules are rules, but put that all aside doesn't it make sense to have a puke tank just for safety sake?

No, if your trans is built right, it don't puke. What does make sense is requiring every car to have a diaper or belly pan.

That said, I'll bet that at least 50% of the bracket cars that are required to have a diaper don't because no one cares, no one is checking, there is no tech.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I've never had fluid in my trans puke tank, but I'll always have one, can't hurt. Same goes for the diaper.

You're probably right that there are a bunch of bracket cars out there without diapers.......and tech is pretty much a joke anymore at local races.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post