DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    4.50 Dragster Tire Shake - Burnout and Launch
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

4.50 Dragster Tire Shake - Burnout and Launch
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Al, the quickest/fastest TD in the country runs on the same tire I do...Hoosier's 34.5/17

Ed

Like I stated, I have nothing against Hoosier or GY. They all make good products. But as for your statement above, there is no such thing as the fastest TD car in the country anymore! Those are TAD's that can't make it over there! And it really doesn't mean anything with regards to what I stated based on A B C testing which I did. The fastest TD car out there is the one with the most money these days, you can buy whatever ET & speed you want. The tires are just there for the ride! The only real question is What's the ride like! Many who at running at the fast end of TD who were using Hoosiers are now using MT's for a reason.
Hoosiers shake in the burnout, and in some cases on the run, pretty much the same for GY's. (Why do you think Hoosier and GY are trying to produce their versions of the Bubba's?) MT's don't in either case however I have seen one guy shake an old set of MT 3186's on a run because he tried too! You say Hoosiers work good for you, fine, I believe you. And as you stated they work for other racers also. I wish more racers, especially my competition would run Hoosiers too because I know MT's are a better tire for my combo and also many other similar ones out there now.

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Personally in the 4.50 range right down to the 4.30s I had very good luck with the 33.5-16-15 hoosier CO7s. My car is a hard tail which does change things a little. Never had a burnout issue either. I did however have that issue with the goodyears back when I was running those. I was also running 6 pounds and was told I could even try 6.5. I never once had a shake issue until I started running a second system and trying to go 4.20s and quicker. However, that was my story every combination is a little different.

I think if I was in your situation before I bought new tires I would try a little more tire pressure, a little shorter burnout and maybe raise the burnout chip a little just to keep the car up on the tire.

By the way I have had severe tire shake with the bubbas so the idea that they won't shake is untrue. In fairness I was tyring to make stuff do what it wasn't intended for in that I was turning on two big systems way to quick to try to play with some cars I was out powered by. So self inflicted but it can be done.

B.J. Masiello

Posts: 250 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: November 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MasRacing:
Personally in the 4.50 range right down to the 4.30s I had very good luck with the 33.5-16-15 hoosier CO7s. My car is a hard tail which does change things a little. Never had a burnout issue either. I did however have that issue with the goodyears back when I was running those. I was also running 6 pounds and was told I could even try 6.5. I never once had a shake issue until I started running a second system and trying to go 4.20s and quicker. However, that was my story every combination is a little different.

I think if I was in your situation before I bought new tires I would try a little more tire pressure, a little shorter burnout and maybe raise the burnout chip a little just to keep the car up on the tire.

By the way I have had severe tire shake with the bubbas so the idea that they won't shake is untrue. In fairness I was tyring to make stuff do what it wasn't intended for in that I was turning on two big systems way to quick to try to play with some cars I was out powered by. So self inflicted but it can be done.

BJ

You can make any tire shake if you want! or don't understand what your asking the tire to do. They can't fix a bad tune up!

And the small 33.5 Hoosiers are not bad for tire shake in the BO but the 34.5's are terrible!

Posts: 2149 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Little Bubbas. Smooth and glued. 605, cast manifold, single 1250, normally aspirated.

Weight 1960
60 ft: .984
330: 2.777
660: 4.304
1320 6.776

strangemagicperformance.com
oldsperformanceproducts.com

WD dealer for just about all your performance needs.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Suffern, NY | Registered: November 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Deniker
posted Hide Post
I fought it for awhile also. Finally gave in and put the 3191w on my car. I'm actually impressed. Mid 50s car with a 632.

Posts: 621 | Location: Latrobe Pa. | Registered: July 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
I’ll jump in on this. I run Hoosier on my nova and love them over the Mickey. That said on my dragster I ran Hoosier and at a 3 day race the burnout got shorter each day because it would start shaking the tire as rubber would build up in the burnout area and as a result the car would slow down each day. I ended up with the 3190 on it and smooth as glass in the burnout and the car worked so much better and was faster with the mickeys. 4.40 car.
Dragster the Hoosier is to soft (sticky) for my liking. Door car the Mickey is to soft (sticky)for my liking. I think on a 4.50 dragster you’ll love the 3190 over all others unless you don’t mind loosing et then go with the bigger mickeys but I’d stay with the harder compound if it were my car.

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
On my Racetech the only difference from little to big bubbas is only 1 number. Been 4:55 on the littles and 56 on the bigs. And in the 1/8 is 50 rpms lower with the bigs.

Posts: 81 | Location: nc | Registered: February 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
c. hodge . did you have to change the bar angle or anything from the hoosiers to the mickys on the dragster and how many runs u get on them

Posts: 30 | Location: tennessee | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
im runnind a dual suspended diamond and tried 1 set of little bubbas and they had about 300 runs and only ran 1 pass with 5.3 air pressure cause guy who ran them had a hardtail with front suspension and on mine it lost 4-5 et in 60 ft aND FELT LIKE SPUN OR SOMETHING

Posts: 30 | Location: tennessee | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
BJ

You can make any tire shake if you want! or don't understand what your asking the tire to do. They can't fix a bad tune up

Agreed! Just making the point. I knew what I was asking it to do it just didn't like what I was asking it to do. And it let me know.

What I learned was they are not a good tire for wheel speed. With the hoosiers I could develop I lot of wheel speed early although unforgiving when it worked it was fast. The MT does not like that especially in a hard tail. Lesson learned but I am not denying that my tune up on that one was a swing and miss.

B.J. Masiello

Posts: 250 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: November 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by td9757:
im runnind a dual suspended diamond and tried 1 set of little bubbas and they had about 300 runs and only ran 1 pass with 5.3 air pressure cause guy who ran them had a hardtail with front suspension and on mine it lost 4-5 et in 60 ft aND FELT LIKE SPUN OR SOMETHING
Hell they were wore out....

Posts: 1257 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Agreed

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by td9757:

I ran a set of Hoosiers about 3 years ago for one run cuz a friend had their Bubba version of that tire. Less than 15 runs on them when I tried them and I couldn't even get to the 60' with out shaking the bag out of them! Absolutely no issues with the MT's!

That's apples to apples,,, right!!!! Wink
OH, and I did stay in a Holiday Inn too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TOP38,

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, when I drove a dragster, we used whatever tire that was given to us. They were usually Promod take offs, Hoosier or Goodyear, 34.5/17/16's on a 7.60-70 dragster.

Track prep was the big issue on tire shake. We had to adjust the burnout depending on where we were racing. Short burn out at one track, long one at another. Feather the gas, stay hard in it, blah, blah, blah...

I knocked the dzus buttons out all the time, didn't matter what tire was on the car. Over tired and under powered, when they spun down track, they really spun. 450 shot under my thumb didn't help matters. Whack the nitrous and spin em at the 1000ft will get your attention quick.

I broke a lot of **** back then but the parts weren't as good as they are today. (at least that's what I keep telling myself)

You guys are fun to watch and these threads fun to read. Big bubba, little bubba, lol, I have no idea what you all are talking about anymore.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 739 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:
Back in the day, when I drove a dragster, we used whatever tire that was given to us. They were usually Promod take offs, Hoosier or Goodyear, 34.5/17/16's on a 7.60-70 dragster.

Track prep was the big issue on tire shake. We had to adjust the burnout depending on where we were racing. Short burn out at one track, long one at another. Feather the gas, stay hard in it, blah, blah, blah...

I knocked the dzus buttons out all the time, didn't matter what tire was on the car. Over tired and under powered, when they spun down track, they really spun. 450 shot under my thumb didn't help matters. Whack the nitrous and spin em at the 1000ft will get your attention quick.

I broke a lot of **** back then but the parts weren't as good as they are today. (at least that's what I keep telling myself)

You guys are fun to watch and these threads fun to read. Big bubba, little bubba, lol, I have no idea what you all are talking about anymore.

A customer of mine and I was talking about this a while back. He has had 4.4 - 4.5 dragster for 25 years. He said its amazing the difference in parts these days, but at the same time, they used to get away with using stock powerglides with a brake, 15 x 15 non bead lock wheels and tires, and analog ignition boxes. Now its a lot easier if you have the above stuff. LOL...what do they say? "times are a changing"

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 704 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
I changed nothing on the car changing to the bubbas. I did run 6 1/4 air

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of msavoia23
posted Hide Post
Friendly update, we purchased 16" beadlocks with Little Bubbas and the car has been insanely smooth and consistent (burnout and down track) since the change for the last couple weekends of racing. We have the launch at 4600 and we are running 5.75 in the rear tires. Normally goes 1.06 60' and mid 4.50s in some bad air the past couple weekends. Appreciate all the tips, another satisfied MT user here.

Another question, we have an ex pro stock RJ Stratus with a procharged motor that will be done in the next few weeks, would the MT 3183 be a good tire for this combo? The car currently has 33.5" tall Goodyears on it, and doesnt look like it will take anything taller than that. Any recommendations or people with similar combos on a door car? ~2500 hp, 3 speed, 2600 lbs, 4.10 rear gear but will probably put in a 4.56 for 1/8 heads up racing. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 29 | Location: Toledo, OH | Registered: January 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msavoia23:
Friendly update, we purchased 16" beadlocks with Little Bubbas and the car has been insanely smooth and consistent (burnout and down track) since the change for the last couple weekends of racing. We have the launch at 4600 and we are running 5.75 in the rear tires. Normally goes 1.06 60' and mid 4.50s in some bad air the past couple weekends. Appreciate all the tips, another satisfied MT user here.

Another question, we have an ex pro stock RJ Stratus with a procharged motor that will be done in the next few weeks, would the MT 3183 be a good tire for this combo? The car currently has 33.5" tall Goodyears on it, and doesnt look like it will take anything taller than that. Any recommendations or people with similar combos on a door car? ~2500 hp, 3 speed, 2600 lbs, 4.10 rear gear but will probably put in a 4.56 for 1/8 heads up racing. Thanks in advance.

Shocker!!! LOL

Use the little bubba's,,ya they are taller but don't grow at speed. Overall tire diameter at speed will likely be less with the bubba's!

Do you have a data logger on the car? If you do you can figure out the tire diameter at speed on what you have now. What are your 33.5's now. around 106"?

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msavoia23:

There is an exception to every rule but most of our experiences is similar to yours on this.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3999 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
The 3183 tire will grow alot. If you dont have enough clearance this could be an issue

4 X Track Champion ( 2 & 2 )
2 X Run off Winner

Posts: 2084 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post