DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    4.50 Dragster Tire Shake - Burnout and Launch
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

4.50 Dragster Tire Shake - Burnout and Launch
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
One other thing not related to tires here. You pulled out 8* timing for .8 seconds and car went faster. I would try lowering timing some for full pass. From my experience many people run way more timing than needed.
I was told on my motor to run the timing at 38* and I did for a while and it worked okay. Then I put motor on dyno and found it made a few more horsepower at 28* and so that is what I run now. While it only picked up a few horsepower with the lower timing I feel it is a safer tune up and easier on the motor to.
You have tire issues right now (Hoosiers)but the fact that when you pulled timing out the car ran faster is something to keep in mind after you resolve the tire issues.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3990 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of msavoia23
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the insight guys. The weather has been brutal up here so we have not been able to do much testing so I was looking for as much info as quick as possible.

We will be making the change to a 16" wheel and will also turn the chip off for burnouts. Regarding the engine timing, we have a few friends with 12* Reher Morrison motors that run at 30*, so we may mess with that a little too.

Posts: 29 | Location: Toledo, OH | Registered: January 04, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
For the last time, HOOSIERS DO NOT SHAKE IN THE WATER UNLESS THE FUCTARD BEHIND THE WHEEL MAKES THEM! You dont blame the hammer when you smash your thumb dont blame the tires because you cant drive. Youre not drivin a two stroke detroit spin the thing proper and dont let em shake when you lift its not rocket science.

Oh and...

"3 steps are for homos pilgrim" - John Wayne

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Dead on with a zero! clapping

Boucher Jr....KNOWS!!!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The fuctard behind the wheel can’t make a BUBBA shake...

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Wanna bet? Been done multiple times.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'm going to try the exact same tire that the OP is running now. Engine builder told me to clean them off and pull up to the line. That's what I'm going to do. If things don't work I can always switch back to Mickeys. Hey, it's only money right? Big Grin

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Dead on with a zero! clapping

Boucher Jr....KNOWS!!!

Im not sayin mickey makes a bad tire, just bought 5 baja atzs for the truck.

Their slicks suck tho Big Grin

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1320racer:
Wanna bet? Been done multiple times.[/QUOTE

I will bet! The Purple chit will knock even butcher's teeth out with his gums flapping...just stay on the gas and see the purple parts eaters in action.

I will personally loan a set of big bubba with beadlocks to anyone who wants to see the difference...for the whole race or just one pass...just lmk!

The Bubba won't shake in the burnout...I don't work for M/T, I am not a distributor, I dont sell M/T, and I approve this message.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:

I will bet! The Purple chit will knock even butcher's teeth out with his gums flapping...just stay on the gas and see the purple parts eaters in action.

I will personally loan a set of big bubba with beadlocks to anyone who wants to see the difference...for the whole race or just one pass...just lmk!

The Bubba won't shake in the burnout...I don't work for M/T, I am not a distributor, I dont sell M/T, and I approve this message.

^^^truth and facts

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 704 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:

TORQIN KNOWS.... Dancing Cat

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Name calling and insults does not change the facts.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3990 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msavoia23:
Looking for some recommendations regarding tire shake after testing a new setup this past weekend..

245" swing arm dragster, 4.10 gear, 12 degree 632 (steel block, 32* of timing as recommended by Sunset) - never been on the dyno but I would guess in the 1200-1220 hp range, Hoosier D06 tire (around 80-100 passes on them) on a 15" non beadlock rear wheel. We are using a Grid (brand new to us) to control burnout RPM (6600), launch RPM (4400), and launch retard (8* out for .8 seconds).

The tires are shaking in the burnout and really hard at the end of the burnout. Rear tire pressure was at 5.5.

-The first pass we had all the timing in and the car rattled the tires for ~150 feet. Went 1.06 to the 60, then 4.59 @ 153
-Second and third pass we pulled 8* for .8 seconds and the car rattled for ~80-100 ft and went 1.06 then 4.56 @ 154.

Few questions:
1. We are going to switch to 16" rear beadlock wheels, but what tire would you guys recommend for this setup? Would the MT 3190w be good for this setup?
2. During the burnout, the motor sounds very abusive bouncing off the chip at 6600. Are most people with the Grid just setting the RPM high (7000 for example) then controlling the RPM with their foot (around 6600-6800)?
3. What launch retard seems to work well with these combos? We have not done much experimenting but if anyone has something that works well for them, we would appreciate a good starting point.

Any other suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated, thank you all in advance.

First you should go with 16" wheels...

I did what your doing about 7 years ago,,, tried GY's, Hoosiers and MT's. They all worked but! The MT's have the largest sweet spot of all of them and they were the only ones that did not shake in the burnout which will eat your trans gear set up if you let it happen over and over.
For many good reasons, MT owns the fast dragsters, you will see them on most of these cars! Why, cuz they work and are user friendly! To date, both Hoosier and GY are still trying to match the Big and Small Bubbas!

Good luck on whatever you choose.

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Al, the quickest/fastest TD in the country runs on the same tire I do...Hoosier's 34.5/17

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Agree with Torqin & Al.

I have two 4.6/4.7 dragsters, an Undercover and a Miller. Both cars have 16" rims and I've tried the Hoosier 18700 33.5 17 16 and the MT 3183 33.5 16.5 16. Hoosier tires on either one of them shake at the end of the burnout when the tires hook up, no matter if the burnout is short long or medium. Sometimes it is worse than others depending on track conditions. MTs are always smooth as silk and just feel like you get "thrown forward" a bit when the tires hook, but no shake.

Hoosier shake has cost me a round as a result of a broken wire ring terminal. The MTs are better for us. And the set I picked up this year doesn't even leak. And they're cheaper.

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Ed,

I will prove the bubba to be faster and smoother on your own car this summer if you got the nads to try em. OR you can keep on keeping on...could care less either way.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I've got the balls and all that matters is what's printed on the time slip.

You swap them and I'm game. Big Grin

See you in a few months. Wink

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ballz
posted Hide Post
Torqin KNOWS. BIG bubba FTW, and Ed has NEVER seen a 4.50 time slip, that negates him form this thread.

Posts: 313 | Location: west palm beach, fla. usa | Registered: June 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
I must be one lucky sum bytch cause my Hoosiers don't shake on my slip tube Undercover or my Sarmento but i am only running 4.00-4.60's depending on set up. Plus the Hoosier's on my Undercover have not had any air put in them since i left Vegas in Nov of 2016 and they have yet to go flat. Truth and Fact.

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Oh hell yea Ed! I agree and have tried them all...glad you will try em just to see!