DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Shocking info on the G159
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shocking info on the G159
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted
Found this. A must read. Check your tires.

https://jalopnik.com/how-goody...n-his-1822200424/amp

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
must be true, I read it on the internet.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 1355PRO
posted Hide Post

Posts: 473 | Location: Glenshaw PA | Registered: February 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
more internet from sources no one has ever heard of.

Meanwhile, I have numerous friends that have this tire on their trailer for years, one is still running the original tires from 1998.

Until I see a report issued directly from The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, I'm calling fake news and no, I don't run this tire.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
If you choose to run a 20 year old tire on your trailer, let us know before you leave as I will stay off the road till your done.

Just saying...not a good idea!

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
I am wondering why a tire company got sued, when it said in the article that the OP shared, that the tire was designed for a slower moving vehicles. Would that not fall back on the companies that built the units?

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 704 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 1355PRO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
If you choose to run a 20 year old tire on your trailer, let us know before you leave as I will stay off the road till your done.

Just saying...not a good idea!

I'm a Porsche parts mgr. I drill holes in tires over six years old. We won't sell them. Depending on how they are stored they may be perfectly fine.....but we won't take the chance. Most trailers sit outside. You do the math.

Eric Macchiaroli
S/R1355 80 Arrow

Posts: 473 | Location: Glenshaw PA | Registered: February 25, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

I'm a Porsche parts mgr. I drill holes in tires over six years old. We won't sell them. Depending on how they are stored they may be perfectly fine.....but we won't take the chance. Most trailers sit outside. You do the math.[/QUOTE]

Goodyear tires are so bad, I wouldn't let a kid use one to swing from a tree!
On an unrelated note Eric... I'm the Parts Manager at Porsche Manhattan.

Billy Duhs - BD104X@gmail.com

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 1355PRO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BD104X:

I'm a Porsche parts mgr. I drill holes in tires over six years old. We won't sell them. Depending on how they are stored they may be perfectly fine.....but we won't take the chance. Most trailers sit outside. You do the math.[/QUOTE]

Goodyear tires are so bad, I wouldn't let a kid use one to swing from a tree!
On an unrelated note Eric... I'm the Parts Manager at Porsche Manhattan.[/QUOTE]

I agree...Small world huh lol

Eric Macchiaroli
S/R1355 80 Arrow

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 1355PRO
posted Hide Post
Wow and you joined DRR the day after I did Shake head

Eric Macchiaroli
S/R1355 80 Arrow

DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1355PRO:
Wow and you joined DRR the day after I did Shake head

Which is.... HOLY CRAP, 18 years ago! If you ever need anything work-related, give me a shout.

Posts: 626 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration just opened an investigation this month. They had been unaware of any issues with the tire until a judge ordered files unsealed revealing the defects and resulting crashes. The files had been sealed by court order as a result of a plea bargain between plaintiffs and Goodyear.
So, NHTSA is involved and presumably will be releasing their findings in the future.

If it walks like a duck, and quakes like a duck, I'm calling it a duck..
Others, like that claim running 20yr old tires on their trailer is acceptable, may need even more proof.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sammy christian
posted Hide Post
there will be more to the story.
Speed limiters during that time period were to be set to the max rated speed for the tires, manufacturer likely did not or computer was reprogrammed.
Most RV incidents are the direct result of operator error/lack of skill. Elderly operators with usually nothing more than a class D license have no business behind the wheel of a 35,000+# truck. period. Unless they are retired truckers.

6.41@221 (so far)
4.11@178
off the shelf/built it myself

Posts: 82 | Location: Amherst, Ny | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Sammy Christian...knows!

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sammy christian:
there will be more to the story.
Speed limiters during that time period were to be set to the max rated speed for the tires, manufacturer likely did not or computer was reprogrammed.
Most RV incidents are the direct result of operator error/lack of skill. Elderly operators with usually nothing more than a class D license have no business behind the wheel of a 35,000+# truck. period. Unless they are retired truckers.

If any of that was true it's doubtful Goodyear would demand to have the records/facts of these settlements sealed.

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4463 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of pentastarrail
posted Hide Post
I think there will be A LOT more to this story once it's all said and done, similar to Ford and Firestone.

As Sammy said, when was the last time you saw a 75 year old man in a 45 foot coach towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee stopped at a fuel stop checking his tires, that would be almost NEVER.

When I replaced my GY tires on my 2005 coach in 2009 (dry rotted BAD) I went to the local Goodyear dealer (VERY large regional depot). The tires on my 2005 coach (that I bought BRAND NEW in 2005) were made in 2000 according to the date stamp on the tire. The GM at the tire depot showed me the code letter/number in his book.
He said, that the coach manufactures have bidding for the allotment of tires and sizes they want to purchase. So what the tire manufactures do is bid low to get rid of all there new/old tires, they collect them ALL and ship them to the coach chassis builders.
So you can have a brand new coach with 5 year old tires on it as I did.

AS I said, this will get pretty deep with the BLAME going to EVERYONE, the owner, the coach manufacturer, the tire company, etc just like the Firestone/Ford debacle.
Red Face

Man was not built to fly ... That's why he built HEMI's

Frank Zeffiro
ALIAS -- BIG KAHUNA

Posts: 955 | Location: Winchester, Connecticut | Registered: September 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
I wonder how many racers front tires are several years old ....lol....

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BD104X
posted Hide Post
Firestone got a bad rap because of Fords terrible 'twin I-beam' suspensions. Goodyear tires are genuine junk.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Everyone has an opinion and it's usually based on their purchase and/or brand loyalty.

That said, I've run probably every brand of american made tires over my 40 years driving and believe Michelin are the best tires regardless of application.

As to trailer tires, I've run Carlisle, Goodyear and Maxxis over the past 18 years and on four different trailers(one a boat trailer) and I've never had a Goodyear blow out or delaminate as did I did with Carlisle more than once. My new Intech trailer runs on the tire I spec'd...Goodyear Endurance.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Firestone got a bad reputation because of junk tires! Remember the firestone 500? That tire was so bad I took new never been on the road tires out of trunks of cars that had separated while sitting in the trunk. This was back when cars came with full size spares. That is the reason why to this day I will not own any firestone tires.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post