DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Ignition box recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ignition box recommendations
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of David_D.
posted
I'm toying with updating my current 6AL to something more modern.

Car has a SBC, crank trigger, HVCII coil. It's a bracket car, so all I really need is an ingnition that has a launch RPM and a high side rev limiter.

I've never had an issue with my 6AL, so I'm not even sure I should update.

So, thoughts on upgrading, and recommendations should I do so.

David Deming
1974 Chevy Nova Custom Hatchback
Horsepower Innovations E85 Carb

Posts: 325 | Location: Nampa, ID | Registered: October 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I have a 6AL in my door car. I've thought about going to the Grid system which would be nice in many ways, but I love being able to quickly turn a knob to change my RPM in 100 RPM increments between 2800-3200 when bottom-bulbing. For that reason, I've stuck with old reliable.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Ole reliable >> 6AL. Same. Just turn the ka knob here also. Not broke, no fix needed

Posts: 1407 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
I have a 6AL in my door car. I've thought about going to the Grid system which would be nice in many ways, but I love being able to quickly turn a knob to change my RPM in 100 RPM increments between 2800-3200 when bottom-bulbing.

They make an add on box to do that. Change in 50 rpm increments in seconds. Works great.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If you do not need or want shift rpm adjustments in 1 rpm increments, launch rpm in 50 rpm increments, launch or nitrous retards, timer outputs and data acquisition of all the ignition controls, then programmable ignition is Not what you want imho.

A Great MSD analog upgrade would be the new MSD 7330 imo. Much higher Millijoules output than 6al with built in 3 step, rpm output and retard features.

Even a MSD 7222 would be worth considering.

Spend $500 at Jegs and save $50 now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: markemark,

Posts: 2427 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Probably a good waste of money. I have a 6al with a blaster SS coil on my alky sbc that runs 4.70s in dragster with no problems or thoughts of upgrades.

Posts: 475 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What about the 6530 6al-2 programmable? Been thinking about replacing the 7al in my dragster with this box.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 460 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Hammertime
posted Hide Post
If your looking to do just the basics what you have is fine. If your looking to just upgrade look into a msd 6al-2, they offer a few different versions (one is programble with a computer).

Imo no reason to get fancy if it’s not wanted.

David Lanning

Lanning Electric

Team Mickey Thompson

Posts: 4658 | Location: Coldwater,MI | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
Ran 8.67 in a my door car with a 6AL and Black Blaster 2 coil. Wanted to play with timing so i put a grid in, both boxes, updated the coil. Ran 8.68. Unless you want to play with launch retards, steps, etc, keep running the 6.

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

slickvic@slickvicracing.com
www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
I use the 6AL and considered updating...and then reality hit. I have spares of all of my ignition, and I have never used them. It's simple,reliable and cheap. I'm slow bracket racing so there's really nothing to be gained. i'd say the only upgrade I might do is go to an HVC coil which others have had good results with.

Posts: 1447 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Keep what you have, it was made in the USA, unlike most of the new MSD stuff. And the old 6AL boxes are some of the best made.

Posts: 604 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If you want to look at the programming tree for MSD programmable ignition (Not Grid) go HERE and select MSD Pro-Data+ Software under the Ignitions Tab to download the program. In the program, open the product number of the ignition you want to look at and then you can see all the features available prior to purchasing.

Not saying Programmable Ignition is better or worse than Analog, just saying here’s where to look at what is available.

Posts: 2427 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Why not use a Power Grid controller to ‘drive’ your 6AL? Been doing that for 3+ years with absolutely no problems whatsoever.
I kept my old reliable 6AL, and gained a lot of timing control, basic data logging, etc.

Posts: 97 | Location: South MS | Registered: September 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
David – I have never raced you but I have raced your brother. Both of you guys have a great program and from a distance you appear to be well sorted. If you are going to change, go with the Grid. Don’t get caught up in all the fancy features at first, just use the basics then learn to use the data to get your program even better with the small tweaks a Grid offers. I will be at the Fox Hunt if you want to talk about it. I have been the whole gambit with this thing.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post