DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    flushing trans and converter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

flushing trans and converter
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Any way to flush trans and converter other than just running some cheaper fluid thru it drain and fill with quality fluid?

Burnt the reverse clutch's out cpl weekends ago and have new stuff along with FTI's fluid. Hate to contaminate it with burnt shyt that doesn't not drain or get cleaned during rebuild. At least cut contamination down as low as possible.

Drained converter,filled with new cheapy and draining again now. Drained cooler and blew out all that would come out. Can't be much left,but has to be some.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Any way to flush trans and converter other than just running some cheaper fluid thru it drain and fill with quality fluid?

Burnt the reverse clutch's out cpl weekends ago and have new stuff along with FTI's fluid. Hate to contaminate it with burnt shyt that doesn't not drain or get cleaned during rebuild. At least cut contamination down as low as possible.

Drained converter,filled with new cheapy and draining again now. Drained cooler and blew out all that would come out. Can't be much left,but has to be some.

The trans has gotta be taken apart and cleaned.

Converter pour some new oil on top of the old oil, turn it upside down and tilt it side to side to get the oil to flow out. Do this a few times until you're satisfied with how the oil looks coming out.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I’m with Mike on this. You got trash and crap, tear it down and fix it right!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5307 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
This is where a bolt together converter really helps to pay for itself. Not only being able to make stator changes, but being able to inspect for damage and cleaning.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Mike's right on. The entire unit needs to be flushed/cleaned and reassembled. A few years ago I trashed a converter, tried cleaning the trans out out with multiple fluid changes. 6 runs later I trashed both the new converter and the trans. Expensive lesson learned.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Chris don't forget the oil cooler and lines too...

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
No way to completely flush a converter without it getting opened up.

shoot the converter over to me and i can go through it and make sure its good. I won't need it more than a couple days.

-Dalton

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 160 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Have flushed converter three times and nothing but old fluid out of it. I drained it thru paint strainer. Pretty sure most of metal stayed in reverse area. Found a little in pan.

I have torn it down and cleaned it.Not sure where anyone got Idea I wasn't going to do so.Even mentioned after rebuild in OP. As stated drained cooler and blew out with air,Then flushed it and blew out again.

Changing filter because hell I have two spares.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post