Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster Staging methods
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster Staging methods
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted
I was watching a dragster and how the driver stage it and was unable to figure out how he did this. Most racers cautiously roll into the first beam, a few back into both and then the first, this guy aggressively rolled in and hit both (sometimes) and without delay backed into the first only. It was too quick to be using reverse. It almost look like to bumped back as if the T brake was touched and released and the slick acted like a spring.
Anyone know how this is being done?

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12143 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
this has been posted before. Even a youtube video about it. I "think" it is a quick brake jab that causes the reward roll.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1326 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
search you tube....troy williams staging

Posts: 28 | Location: florida | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of BLIND MULE 2217
posted Hide Post
K Underwood is the master at this Hum

Posts: 319 | Location: Opelika AL, | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post

Posts: 798 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It's hard to see his hand on the shifter but I'm guessing this is done in neutral?

Denis LeBlanc
dleblanc@actionracingphotos.com
www.ActionRacingPhotos.com
 photo 2016-09-11 19.23.38_zpsyl577b8b.jpg
 photo 2016-05-15 18.20.32_zpsopktkcql.jpg

Posts: 124 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BLIND MULE 2217:
K Underwood is the master at this Hum

I believe Kenny uses Reverse.

Jeremy McKague
s/c 341a

Posts: 734 | Location: .001 in front of you | Registered: October 18, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
Did anyone understand what Troy said as far as why he does this?

It's funny what you see when watching others stage.

I saw a few TD cars that looked like they backed all the way back into the wet area. Others that creap forward in like 10 moves.
Painfull to watch

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12143 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Can't say why Troy does it, but I back into the pre stage beam so I know I have less than 1 inch to stage every time, no guess work here. Would have to believe his intentions would be similar.

Posts: 25 | Location: Pen Argyl, PA | Registered: March 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I believe he is trying to keep the side walls worn evenly.....!

Posts: 924 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
The backing up slowly, dropping the stage light out, stop......stage very carefully has won a boatload of $$$ for the people I know that do it successfully....

I tried it once......redlighted.

I felt a little uncomfortable doing it so I never tried it again but think it is a better way to stage....

I have no idea what that video, backing up deal is about and never saw it done...

Posts: 1411 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Get your pipe rack rolling at a fast walking pace, neutral it, jab the brake pedal (quick on and off) right when the bottom flickers on, soon as the light goes back out stop again.... Turns your sidewalls into a spring and backs you out.

Its only cool if you do it first... Apparently Gary Williams is the one. The rest would be copy cats...!!! Razz

Posts: 924 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JakeW143:
Can't say why Troy does it, but I back into the pre stage beam so I know I have less than 1 inch to stage every time, no guess work here. Would have to believe his intentions would be similar.

I do the same.

Posts: 474 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
Does it matter how many rim screws you have as to how springy it will be? Big Grin

Burt Poissant

1969 Corvette, Reher Morrison 540, Turbo 400, 4-link.
Best times ET 8.82 @ 152, 1.21 60 ft

Posts: 1026 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Best staging method: what ever is the most comfortable for you as a driver and not against the rules.

I saw nothing wrong or against the rules in the video.

Posts: 1113 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 00 DEAD ON
posted Hide Post
Think Troy said to keep the car straight. Backing into the beams you can be at a little angle.
I back into the beams and leave the top bulb on, closer to lighting the second bulb. I take really small bumps to stage and don't want to take to long to stage. JMO

Brian Mollison

2008 American
2017 Sumerduck Top ET & SSS Track Champion
2017 MAC Top ET Track Champion
2009 Sumerduck Dragway Va Top ET & IHRA SSS Track Champion
2008 IHRA Division 1 Top ET Bracket Final Runner-up
2007 Colonial Beach Dragway Top ET Track Champion

Posts: 951 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Paul there was a H/R car doing it also, it's probably going to be the next "cool" thing that everyone will be doing, like beadlocks on 10 sec cars.

Posts: 381 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HR3377:
Paul there was a H/R car doing it also, it's probably going to be the next "cool" thing that everyone will be doing, like beadlocks on 10 sec cars.

They have been doing it for the last 10+ years, so its not the "latest fad". Others have tried but cant seem to master it. I used to do it back when I first saw it and had my Chevy II.... I did it with the trans brake button and it worked ok. I could never get the brake pedal method to work for me. It was something different and fun to do for a while....

Mikey Walters
Winston-Salem NC

Posts: 1705 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mad Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HR3377:

If you're talking about this past week-end IHRA race, and the H/R entry was a blue Nova, that was Troy Williams' entry too. He was in T/D and H/R. I believe he was in the finals both days in both classes...

Dan

DOES YOUR IDEOLOGY ALLOW YOU TO EQUITABLY APPLY STANDARDS OF ACCOUNTABILITY OR DOES IT PROMOTE THE PRACTICE OF HYPOCRISY?

Posts: 308 | Location: DSofA | Registered: November 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I do that to be close to stage so I can take very small bumps. I don't do the back in thing because I don't feel like the car is always perfectly straight . I do it in neutral by hitting the brake and stopping it when the stage light goes out. I have done this sense I was 15 in street cars. I wouldn't try to teach some one to stage that way it is kind of tricky to get the hang of . Underwood does it in reverse by hitting the button , I am just lazy and didn't like working the shifter that much. Staging consistently is one of the most important things you do as a driver . Whatever you are comfortable doing that you are sure you can repeat time and time again is what you should do .

Posts: 2 | Location: work | Registered: June 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post