DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Converter broke ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converter broke ?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted
Finished last season at Huntsville MVP race. Parked and haven't touched anything mechanical all winter. First time out was this weekend and car isn't acting right. I've always had issues keeping the front end on the ground but this weekend it wouldn't pick the front tires an inch and 60' has slowed from 1.26 to 1.33 and et loss from 6.00 to 6.24. Also after I go through the lights and slow to make the turn the car try's to die like the motor is pulling down (bogging). I can shut it off and refire and it's fine. The converter is 15 years old and does have a sprag. I've sent it back many times over the years for adjustments and freshen ups but never had any issues with it. Does this sound like the sprag is Broking?

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 57 Vette
posted Hide Post
Broken Sprag in the converter Eek
Put a Spragless in it,and forget it.

IHRA ACDELCO Canadian Nationals
Top/et Iron man Champion Smile
Don Davis 57 Corvette Super Gas roadster Cool
SDPC 582 Head Hunter on Alcohol

Posts: 268 | Location: Toronto Ont/Surprise AZ | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
I have a spragless that's .015 lower than my sprag converter. If it's the sprag and I can get another 15 years out of it then I'll stay with the ATI. Not looking or asking for what's best just asking the ones who have had a sprag break if this sounds like what I have going on

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Mark J
posted Hide Post
When my sprag broke it would about kill the motor off just putting in gear. Sure sounds like the problem to me.

Posts: 36 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BLIND MULE 2217
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the sprag.....Not being a smart a$$ but why are you worried about 2 hun in e.t. when you can have one less thing to worry about?

Posts: 354 | Location: Opelika AL, | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I broke a sprag on my old converter and went spragless on the new one. Did not notice any difference in Et.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3999 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
A spun stator support tube can act like a a bad sprag as well.

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C Hodge:
I've sent it back many times over the years for adjustments and freshen ups

NEVER send a converter back for a "freshen up".

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of FinishFirst
posted Hide Post
I have had a spark plug cause the same type of problem.

Thanks Bob

Posts: 6 | Location: Mississauga, Ontario | Registered: November 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
I have seen this before after setting up a while. And it was fuel related. Once pump got weak. And one time carb pumps were bad. Was your last day of racing last yr. all OK?

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of goddard racing
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem at the beginning of the year. It was perfect the last race out last year in November and at the first race in February I was .2 slow and my car wouldn't pick up the front tires an inch. my sixties were .04-.05 slow. Sent the converter to FTI and they said it had a broken sprag. Got it back and everything is perfect.

Posts: 19 | Location: ga | Registered: May 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
DragRaceResults

My car would break a sprag every now and again. When it does here is what I get. 60' slows way down, reaction times slow way down, Et is down. Sounds like maybe you had one let go.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 987 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Al Alguire:
quote:
DragRaceResults

My car would break a sprag every now and again. When it does here is what I get. 60' slows way down, reaction times slow way down, Et is down. Sounds like maybe you had one let go.

Trans temp is up if you monitor it and the rpm drop at the shift should also be way down...

Posts: 1444 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I broke a sprag on my old converter and went spragless on the new one. Did not notice any difference in Et.

Neither did i. Ran the same thing

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1394 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
From an 8" ATI to An 8" FTI I slowed 012-015. Not bashing the FTI but I choose to run what's faster. In my dragster I didn't see any difference sprag to spragless and ran FTI in it. And it could not be the converter but I'm checking it and the trans just to be sure. One thing I did notice coming up the return road was a load noise in high gear when coasting.Neutral and low there was no noise so it could be the trans. Should know tomorrow is something is wrong inside the trans or it's all good. If the trans is good I'll be putting the FTI in to run this week and see if that fixes it.

DRR Pro
Picture of BLIND MULE 2217
posted Hide Post
So you mean it's .12-.15 slow not .012-.015 correct?

Posts: 354 | Location: Opelika AL, | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C Hodge:
From an 8" ATI to An 8" FTI I slowed 012-015. Not bashing the FTI but I choose to run what's faster. In my dragster I didn't see any difference sprag to spragless and ran FTI in it. And it could not be the converter but I'm checking it and the trans just to be sure. One thing I did notice coming up the return road was a load noise in high gear when coasting.Neutral and low there was no noise so it could be the trans. Should know tomorrow is something is wrong inside the trans or it's all good. If the trans is good I'll be putting the FTI in to run this week and see if that fixes it.

Sounds like you broke the planetary.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Boon Docks, FL | Registered: March 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
6.20 to 6.35 changing converters. Pulled the trans tonight and drained converter no metal in the pan. Drained trans and only a little glitter in the pan but not much. Has me wondering if I'm looking in the right place but there's still the noise. After running 1.76 for years with no problem I'm hoping it's not the 1.80 planetary but anything can break. Only ran the 1.80 8 races

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Finish First , just went thru the same issue about 5000 dollars later I found a bad plug . Never missed or any signs . I use NGK

Posts: 27 | Location: Athens Al | Registered: September 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I had my car drop 2 hundreds heard noise coming from back of car while coasting thought might be planet took trans apart found nothing. Next time warming up car sounded fine running on Jack stands heard noise coasting had someone else in dragster and had friends listen and decided it might be in the rear. Took it apart and found 2 teeth knocked off the pinion. Not saying this is what it is but might be last resort if you find nothing else. Good Luck.

Jeff McClure

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post