DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    434 SBC Camshaft
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

434 SBC Camshaft
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
We are reconfiguring our current N/A 434sbc for a ProCharger. I made 2 calls this past week for cam recommendations. Both recommendations were close together, but in my opinion both were way to large on duration.

1st one: 283/287 @.050, .700/.675 lift, 114.5* installed 4* advanced.

2nd one: 279/285 @.050, .725/.675 lift, 114* installed 4* advanced.

I'm not looking to set the world on fire with this motor. I want 900-1000 hp @ the flywheel, hopefully closer to 900. IMO, both cams have to much duration. Also, I thought there would be more split in intake/exhaust duration by at least 8*. I think the lift needs to be a tad over .700 lift, both Intake/exhaust peak @ .700. The 114* lobe center seems correct, but not understanding the 4* advance; maybe because the cams have large durations.

Heck I don't know, but I know I'm not going to run that much duration. I'm actually thinking about getting a computer dyno simulation program, anyone used one of these?

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2489 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
We are reconfiguring our current N/A 434sbc for a ProCharger. I made 2 calls this past week for cam recommendations. Both recommendations were close together, but in my opinion both were way to large on duration.

1st one: 283/287 @.050, .700/.675 lift, 114.5* installed 4* advanced.

2nd one: 279/285 @.050, .725/.675 lift, 114* installed 4* advanced.

I'm not looking to set the world on fire with this motor. I want 900-1000 hp @ the flywheel, hopefully closer to 900. IMO, both cams have to much duration. Also, I thought there would be more split in intake/exhaust duration by at least 8*. I think the lift needs to be a tad over .700 lift, both Intake/exhaust peak @ .700. The 114* lobe center seems correct, but not understanding the 4* advance; maybe because the cams have large durations.

Heck I don't know, but I know I'm not going to run that much duration. I'm actually thinking about getting a computer dyno simulation program, anyone used one of these?

I like the second, it's pretty much same cam I run in my n/a 23 427 sbc, only a wider LSA for less overlap. Advance 4 to get the exhaust open earlier, standard issue. I'm gonna guess that's a Bullet camshaft. Looks perfect for what you're doing sir.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The second cam is similar to our other 434 sbc cam; 278/288 @ .050, .728/.728 lift with a 109* lobe separation. I don't like it & it's a pig down low, as it should be. I guess with a 114* L/S with 4* advance would make it more tolerable.

The cam above does make peak hp where I want it @6,600 vs. 6,000 with our current 434 sbc being reconfigured for the ProCharger.

I've been doing a lot of research on these centrifugal supercharger builds. Most builds trying to set the world on fire for max power, go with cams in the general area in the OP for a sbc. I will get it figured out one way or another. Wink

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2489 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
From my experience with a BBC at a pretty wide variety of boost/power levels, the cam is not that important (assuming it's in the right zip code).

Either go with what Bullet recommends or call Scott @ PAR and buy one from him.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Have made 1500HP on 23 * SBC with F2 414cu-in 9.6cr.cam is 20 degrees smaller than Cam Help recommendations listed.Bill C.

Checkered Flag Machine and Ceralli Competition Engines
checkeredflagmachine.net/
Racing engines and induction development

Posts: 110 | Location: Paterson N.J. | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BIG SPEED:
Have made 1500HP on 23 * SBC with F2 414cu-in 9.6cr.cam is 20 degrees smaller than Cam Help recommendations listed.Bill C.

All Pro RR cylinder head?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Edelbrock Pro-Port 365 cfms.SV2 manifold EFI.Iron Eagle block 55mm cam,.937 lifters.cam is 255-270-115.

Posts: 110 | Location: Paterson N.J. | Registered: September 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post

Nice! That's the skull & cross bone Nova engine. I like that car! Hot Rod!

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the inputs!

I got a 3rd opinion yesterday & he thought the cams were close on the call.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the inputs!

It's because of the weak (relatively speaking) cylinder head you have in play.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
Edelbrock Pro-Port 365 cfms.SV2 manifold EFI.Iron Eagle block 55mm cam,.937 lifters.cam is 255-270-115.

Like said in OP, not looking to set the world on fire with 900-1000 hp. I have no where near the head you used. We are using Brodix 18 spx heads that are supposed to flow 325 @.700 & will use a blow thru carb on E85.

I thought about trying the existing cam, but I'm sure the 108 lobe separation is not in the "right zip code".

I appreciate your information provided.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:
Thanks for the inputs!

You beat me, I just kind of posted that after. LOL!

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Thanks for the inputs!

You beat me, I just kind of posted that after. LOL!

Kirk at Bullet is pretty damn slick, he played a role in my relatively speaking weak out of the box 23 Brodix cylinder head, dipping in the 5's n/a 3200 lbs. They took a few days to come up with it. Them guys are old school, no china junk at that place. I'd roll with their suggestion if I were you, from experience.

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes.7.87et at 3525# 22# boost.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Bad dude!! Lot of satisfaction at the ticket shack!! Well done!

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

I always enjoy reading about your builds, sharing of the set-ups & on track performance.

As for our goals, we are looking for mid 8s @ 2950 lbs. with 14-15 lbs. boost. This combo will hopefully work for bracket racing, we'll find out.

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436