New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plug wires
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
A Grid 7720 with HVC-2 coil and MSD 8.5 wires will easily open a new .030” spark plug gap to .042” in under 400 runs.

I’m using the above with a Holley HP ecu and no problems. Everything works properly.

Not wiring the Ignition Controls / ECU power feed directly to the battery and creating a separate “clean” bus for signal wires can be an overlooked problem during wiring installation. I like using diode protection on relay / solenoid coils also.

Posts: 2448 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Bottom line is ohms per foot means nothing on the time slip.

im not looking for et, jus wire and plug life...

This is efi and cop setup. I have the energy turned down to 250 currently

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
So what does the Ohms effect on how the wire works? I have moroso now but also own a set of magnecor. L;arge difference in ohms per foot between the 2

I don't know that I can clearly answer your question. But I can give you some observations.
For years, the idea was to have the lowest resistance wire possible in order to allow the maximum amount of current/energy flow to the plug and deliver the strongest spark. This was particularly important before the high powered msd ignitions came onto the market. But we have held onto the low resistance belief, and there is some science to back it up.
However, when the bigger msd's hit the market, most applications had more than enough spark. As said, you could put virtually any decent quality, non leaking wire on and deliver all the power to the plug that is needed. Additional power beyond that simply makes no improvements.
Now comes complicators.
Power adders greatly increase the pressure in which the plug has to fire. This makes it much much harder to fire that plug consistently. So more energy is often needed. Nobody wants to run a mag with all the advantages of the electronic ignitions. Plus with all the electronics in our cars today, the mags can play hell with all that stuff.
The smart coils even from the factory can really pour the coals to spark energy if driven correctly. Most aftermarket ecu's allow you to adjust the dwell to push them harder during boost. But now with all the energy being pushed to the plugs, noise can be a real issue. A friend made a neat test chamber to screw a plug into, that had a sight glass and a pressure port so it could be pressurized to simulate real world conditions. What a difference the pressure makes! And the amount of noise is crazy. It would fritz his cell phone during recordings.
It can play hell with a lot of things electronic, and believe it or not, boot seal becomes very important. The spark can find the path of least resistance which can be straight to the nearest ground to the boot.
I played around with, and had some good success with resistor plugs. I'm not sure why as it's a little counter intuitive. But it cleared up any misfire issues I was encountering. I will say some EFI systems are much more sensitive to EMI than others.
Just my experience and I don't claim to be any kind of expert on the matter.

Thanks thats interesting

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allen Chamberlin:
It all has to do with electronic noise. In most efi instructions it tells you to run a resistor plug. Most plug applications dont allow that so i run magnecor wires with holley efi. Certain ecus care some dont. I saw nothing power wise between all those wires but it did take care of a miss and locked up datalogs

Ive read that other places as well. These moroso are 40 ohms a foot and the magnecor are approximately 1800 a foot

J.R. Baxter

2024 Miller
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
That surprised me too but had no spark issues. I run coil on plug aslo and use the dwell table

Allen Chamberlin

Posts: 11 | Location: Bellwood pa | Registered: October 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
https://sparkplugwires.com/
Scott Performance Wires
Talk to Mark.
He’s a racer and will explain in detail.
Very nice product with zero interference.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4481 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
quote:
Originally posted by Allen Chamberlin:
It all has to do with electronic noise. In most efi instructions it tells you to run a resistor plug. Most plug applications dont allow that so i run magnecor wires with holley efi. Certain ecus care some dont. I saw nothing power wise between all those wires but it did take care of a miss and locked up datalogs

Ive read that other places as well. These moroso are 40 ohms a foot and the magnecor are approximately 1800 a foot

I bought some Moroso super 40's last season, and Love them

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I'm currently running MSD, but have a set of Ultra 40's as spares. I do like the MSD plug boots better, the Moroso tore easily. I'll just order new boots and swap them out. Zero difference between the two performance wise, I'll keep running them until they aren't any good anymore....

That's the one thing many don't think of, is that plug wires don't last forever.....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post