New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plug wires
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
posted
I’m wondering if anyone here has seen a difference in hi resistance plug wires vs low resistance? Like moroso wires vs magnecor wires. What effect does the resistance have on combustion, especially boosted?

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1518 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
J.R. though not a boosted application, I’ve tried all the popular brands over the last 3+ decades and ain’t ever found a performance advantage on the time slip. After running MSD wires for many years, I switched to Moroso Ultra 40 unsleeved custom fit 8.65mm wires about 10 years ago, If for no other reason than the boots are better. They are also rated at 40 ohms/ft. I use part #73712 which run under the headers on my dragster and part #73728 which run over the valve covers on my firebird.

Moroso Race Wires are used by the majority of professional bracket/class engine builders and most Pro Stock teams.

Moroso Ultra 40 Unsleeved Custom-Fit Wire Sets
The new standard in ignition wires for racers on a budget! Moroso Ultra 40 unsleeved custom-fit ignition wire sets are the most powerful and RFI/EMI-resistant wires available for racing today. Plus, their closely woven fiberglass, silicone-impregnated insulation provides up to 8,000 extra volts of protection.

Features:

* Kevlar® core that's four times stronger than Aramid cores
* Class-leading 40 ohms of resistance per foot
* Nickel copper alloy conductors for superior spark energy transfer
* Extra-thick EPDM layer for greater dielectric strength
* High-temperature silicone boots that can withstand heat up to 600 degrees
* Locking stainless steel plug terminals

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
What kind of noise problems are you having?

High resistance wires are for noise suppression.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
2.0 amp coil alky moroso ultra 40 sleeved wires since they came out no problems

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 406 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
May have been the most helpful post I've ever seen be Ed. Nice work.

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Ed any reason you run the unsleeved instead of the sleeved Moroso wires?

Posts: 2429 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Steve, I don’t like the look of the sleeved and I ain’t ever seen sleeve wires on a pro stock engine.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I run thew Moroso Ultra 40 sleeved wires from Smileys racing about half price of Moroso and literally come in same box.
They have worked very well for me.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4014 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Not only aren’t they the same wire, 8mm vs. 8.65mm and 800 ohm vs. 40 ohm, they cost $106.99 for sbc only while the specific part #s I stated cost $87.99 for the under header set and $108.99 for the over valve cover set without the pro shop discount

From smileys website…

• Small Block Chevy Spiral Core Sleeved Wire Sets
• 8 mm 800 ohm Spiral Core Wire pre-terminated at both ends
• Complete, pre-assembled ready to install sets with 36" coil wire
• Each wire is tested for continuity and resistance after termination to ensure race-ready performance
• High-temp silicone 90° Black spark plug boots provide maximum heat protection
• Shrink tubing at each ends completes the wire-to-boot sealing
• Numbered ID tags simplify installation
• Application Options: Over Valve Cover or Under Header
• Distributor Cap Style: HEI or Non-HEI
• Insulating sleeve runs the entire wire length, adding 8,000 volts of additional insulation
• Available in Black, Red or Blue with Smiley's logo on connector

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
So what does the Ohms effect on how the wire works? I have moroso now but also own a set of magnecor. L;arge difference in ohms per foot between the 2

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1518 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I am using the Moroso 73622 sleeved set, that is my only option with Moroso and a Crab cap with HEI terminals. I like the sleeve because my blower motor naturally sweats oil so the sleeve protects the wire itself and makes them easy to clean.
Looks like the Summit price has jumped about $50 a set since the last set I bought

Posts: 2429 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
So what does the Ohms effect on how the wire works? I have moroso now but also own a set of magnecor. L;arge difference in ohms per foot between the 2

I don't know that I can clearly answer your question. But I can give you some observations.
For years, the idea was to have the lowest resistance wire possible in order to allow the maximum amount of current/energy flow to the plug and deliver the strongest spark. This was particularly important before the high powered msd ignitions came onto the market. But we have held onto the low resistance belief, and there is some science to back it up.
However, when the bigger msd's hit the market, most applications had more than enough spark. As said, you could put virtually any decent quality, non leaking wire on and deliver all the power to the plug that is needed. Additional power beyond that simply makes no improvements.
Now comes complicators.
Power adders greatly increase the pressure in which the plug has to fire. This makes it much much harder to fire that plug consistently. So more energy is often needed. Nobody wants to run a mag with all the advantages of the electronic ignitions. Plus with all the electronics in our cars today, the mags can play hell with all that stuff.
The smart coils even from the factory can really pour the coals to spark energy if driven correctly. Most aftermarket ecu's allow you to adjust the dwell to push them harder during boost. But now with all the energy being pushed to the plugs, noise can be a real issue. A friend made a neat test chamber to screw a plug into, that had a sight glass and a pressure port so it could be pressurized to simulate real world conditions. What a difference the pressure makes! And the amount of noise is crazy. It would fritz his cell phone during recordings.
It can play hell with a lot of things electronic, and believe it or not, boot seal becomes very important. The spark can find the path of least resistance which can be straight to the nearest ground to the boot.
I played around with, and had some good success with resistor plugs. I'm not sure why as it's a little counter intuitive. But it cleared up any misfire issues I was encountering. I will say some EFI systems are much more sensitive to EMI than others.
Just my experience and I don't claim to be any kind of expert on the matter.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Bottom line is ohms per foot means nothing on the time slip.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Ohms is a measurement of resistance and nothing else

The best connection you could have would be milli-ohms and only a solid core wire could read such a low reading

It would have an RF around the wire. A magnetic field and could wreak havoc on sensitive electronics

That’s the only reason we run carbon core resistance wires

Our ignitions are so powerful they can fire plugs very well thru this conductor

High boost or nitro pushes that and they do some things to better fire their plugs. 2 super powerful mags and whatever wires they have found that survive and work in that environment

I can tell you first hand how much trouble using even a non resistor spark plug can cause from RF noise vs the proper resistor plug. Way worse than just radio static !

In our cars the non resistor plugs themselves don’t cause any problems

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
It all has to do with electronic noise. In most efi instructions it tells you to run a resistor plug. Most plug applications dont allow that so i run magnecor wires with holley efi. Certain ecus care some dont. I saw nothing power wise between all those wires but it did take care of a miss and locked up datalogs

Allen Chamberlin

Posts: 11 | Location: Bellwood pa | Registered: October 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allen Chamberlin:
It all has to do with electronic noise. In most efi instructions it tells you to run a resistor plug. Most plug applications dont allow that so i run magnecor wires with holley efi. Certain ecus care some dont. I saw nothing power wise between all those wires but it did take care of a miss and locked up datalogs

I will say it wasn't straight forward finding a comparable plug in a resistor to what I was using. Took a bit of searching. The vast majority of race cars do not have resistor plugs in them. That's all I'm going to use in my car. My son's car with same ecu only non boosted application doesn't seem to care and we do not push his coils hard as we just don't need to.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6407 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I'm following the last few posts in this thread. While I have been advised from Holley & others about the RFI issues with my Sniper ECU. My plan is to continue to run the MSD 8.5 super conductor wires, but I have to find an appropriate resister plug. I prefer to stick with NGK plugs, but I haven't found one that has non-projected tip (for the ProCharger).

Everything I have done so far with the car is to limit the RFI or keep it isolated from sensitive ECU & wiring.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2547 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I don’t think they are necessarily worth any ET but I have the Magnecor wires and am pleased. They clean up nicely and I don’t like the sleeved wires either. I carry my old MSD wires for spares.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Did you get the sniper with the computer in the throttle body? Thats the worst. Puts the computer right on top of the engine.

Allen Chamberlin

Posts: 11 | Location: Bellwood pa | Registered: October 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allen Chamberlin:
Did you get the sniper with the computer in the throttle body? Thats the worst. Puts the computer right on top of the engine.

Yes & I have followed the instructions to the T.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2547 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post