DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Best 168 tooth starter?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 168 tooth starter?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted
In need of a new starter and looking for whats the current go to for a 168 flywheel. 582 BBC. Not really looking to change flywheel as I have 3 cars and like to have all things interchangeable.

Posts: 608 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The market provides a number of units that will give good service. The last several I bought from House of Payne, an excellent product and top shelf personal service.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Delco reman # 323-255

If you're lucky you might find one at a big box outlet that will come with a steel nose.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1622 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Since 2020 I run House of Payne starters in both cars for 139 tooth flexplates. Prior to that Tilton Super Starter for 3 decades. Regardless of which starter you chose, I recommend having a spare pinion assembly especially with a high compression BBC

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
Can't beat House of Payne, plus Mark offers the best customer service!

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I got um all I’d take the new CSR as of right now against um all…it’s $600 though

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
PowerMaster 9540, just as good if not better than all those high dollar ones!

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
You cant go wrong with either HOP or Meziere if your budget allows.

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
You cant go wrong with either HOP or Meziere if your budget allows.
Ive spent a load of money on meziere’s stuff and
not had any luck with none of it….

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I think the Powermaster is as good as any of them.

More important is the 139 tooth flexplate, they last so much better. I went to 139 tooth in 2012 and that flexplate is still in the car and going good with new owner.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3990 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
Who makes the PowerMaster starters? I have heard of them but no experience with them. Reviews for their products are good and prices seem on the lower side compared to the others mentioned here.

Posts: 608 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've had very good luck with the powermaster 9450 it also comes in 139t. I have it in all three of my cars.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 465 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Powermaster here as well, only issues were caused by me.....with Ed on this one too, keep spare pinion with you. I killed one due to issues other than starter, but the pinion took the beating.. starter is fine and works great though....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What PowerMaster do you run ? What compression engine?

Posts: 232 | Location: On the top of a bus! | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Frizie
posted Hide Post
House of Payne for the W!

Michael Frizie
ET 2471

Posts: 571 | Location: Winston, GA | Registered: April 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
Powermaster here also ....

Posts: 783 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
IMI 902 Has worked well. From Good vibrations.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
For everyone running the HOP starters for 168, do you run the Premium Starter or the Premium Super Duty?

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
I use Meziere on both of my cars and I also have a spare just in case, however, I feel I will never need to replace any parts or even one of these starters in my lifetime. I'm sure there are other quality starters out there, but I can vouch for Meziere. I also just had my flexplate recerted by them and they were extremely nice on the phone and very quick turn around.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinChicken:
For everyone running the HOP starters for 168, do you run the Premium Starter or the Premium Super Duty?

I use HOP Premium Starter with 14-1 sbc. Using 12v and spins faster than the ECAE it replaced.

Posts: 2447 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post