DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Best 168 tooth starter?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 168 tooth starter?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Call House of Payne, he'll tell you what you will need and he'll be honest with you.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Everyone including me likes to think they have the best approach.

So a guy I know tells me a couple weeks ago he runs a 8 lb battery and a House of Pain starter for two years, and his car starts better or as good as anyone's.

So when I hear this I consider the source. The source is good, dude never exaggerates, never automatically assumes his approach is best. Which to me means it's unbiased, unemotional info.

I don't know what flexplate he runs. It's a Reher Morrison engine, so whatever they run I'm sure.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Two batteries and a Tilton might have been the hot ticket 25 years ago, but it ain't today.

I think if you're stuck on that it's emotional.

Emotional ain't rational.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My Reher-Morrison engine did not come with a flexplate.

Posts: 86 | Location: Abilene, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a Powermaster 9400 series starter. I works very good in my RED (632 CID) with a small battery (12v) in the nose of the car. Many starting issues are not the starter, but everyone blames it. Insufficient grounds, battery cables to small, bad connections etc. all contribute to low cranking starter voltage! The band aid fix is a 16v system. The other issue that I have seen are bad starters, even new ones. They are all mass produced! Mark Payne is no doubt one of the Kings of producing great starters. He also fixed a bad starter (relatively new one at that) a number of years back for me!

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Looks like im in the minority, but i will stick with Tilton. I do run 16 volt, and even with that being said, the tilton doesnt turn as fast as MANY other brands, but i have YET to have a no start situation.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe C:
My Reher-Morrison engine did not come with a flexplate.

If I knew I'd say, my guess would be 10 pitch Mezeire flexplate.

DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
Meziere TS400

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 240 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
Whats the Difference in the Powermaster starters and the Powermaster XS Starters?

Posts: 608 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of C Hodge
posted Hide Post
Good and bad in anything you by. I know a lot of people that run tilton with good luck. My experience wasn’t so good. TS400 for 5 years on my 632 without issue and after i changed pans i put the TS400 on my 440 and its been great.

Posts: 235 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: December 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
and there are those that can break an anvil

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Fabman
posted Hide Post
I tried the Powermaster 9400 and just didn't have any luck with it years ago. The past 10+ years I've been using the 9500 with good success. Really works well on 16 volts and the solenoid arrangement works well for space as well as wiring with how the studs are placed.

Mark Payne fixed an alternator for me a few years ago. Great customer service so if I wasn't using the 9500 I'd likely use one of his starters.

I still havent switched to the 139 tooth flexplate as my current billet Meziere 168 is still holding up like a champ so I see no reason to change at this point.

Posts: 272 | Location: USA | Registered: August 27, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
So im in need of a starter by Friday. I was trying to get in touch with HOP but they have odd hours and haven't responded to my email. My motor is 16:1 and I am leaning towards the Powermaster 9540 that will work with my 168 flexplate and 16v system.

If anyone here is running that starter on a similar set up how do you like it?

Posts: 608 | Location: Da Swamp!!!! | Registered: October 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR / Crew
Picture of DragRaceResults
posted Hide Post
HOP Mark is out of the country on VAC if I remember correctly.

I use Meziere, never an issue. Customer Service is immaculate. Legit company. No experience with powermaster.

SL...

Posts: 2110 | Location: Gallatin, TN - U.S.A. | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
some here including TORQIN have had issues with meziere starters and HOP has repaired many.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Payne is back in town. He was out of country for work. He makes a big dog 168 that is like his 139 tooth stuff. He can sell you a flex plate as well if you need one.

Hit the digits
540-471-0471

ep-he does fix alot of mezieres

Posts: 764 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Da Shoe:
So im in need of a starter by Friday. I was trying to get in touch with HOP but they have odd hours and haven't responded to my email. My motor is 16:1 and I am leaning towards the Powermaster 9540 that will work with my 168 flexplate and 16v system.

If anyone here is running that starter on a similar set up how do you like it?

168 tooth is a 9500

153 is a 9540

I've got two 9540's bad, I think it's user error though, on daily street driven pump gas muscle cars, with 100's of starts on em (and a few kickbacks).

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Da Shoe
posted Hide Post
Im not a fan of the Denso Style so ill probably go with the 9400 since it has good reviews and is in stock.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Da Shoe:
Im not a fan of the Denso Style so ill probably go with the 9400 since it has good reviews and is in stock.

I'm not positive I am either, we're gonna buy duplicate spare 9540's and change our approach to starting these cars, see if we can get these starters to be more permanent.

Repair the two damaged we have as spares.

DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
i,ve ran hop 16v and meziere 132 a long time with great results. even ran a braille 16v lithium and i was less than happy with it.

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post