DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Mounting on board air compressor?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mounting on board air compressor?
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cashflow:
The air stop runs in the normally off position and the air pressure holds the stop open all the time except during the run.

You have to put the electric stop in the normally on position for it to hold the stop open. You can leave it (the throttle stop) closed all the time (normally off) and reset it to normally on right before you run which I thought that was how you guys were doing it. That way the solenoid is not energized all the time.

With air you just drive it like normal and nothing happens till you’re fixing to stage and you hit the Pro Stage button, accelerator pedal falls to the floor and engine goes full throttle as soon as you mash trans brake button.

I am so used to doing it this way I’m scared I’ll forget to set the box before I pull out of the lanes. I’m gonna try it in Vegas but I’m taking all the air stuff with me just in case.

Vern,

To not over complicate the procedures for using an electric stop, here is what we do. The K&R box is set to nOFF all the time (around the pits, etc). When Kyle is in the lanes and gets ready, before he pulls out of the lanes, he toggles the box to nON, and the stop now has powered and is open. “Resetting” is a separate function of the box, which most do before pre staging, to ensure the timer and box are reset before making the run.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I can understand the reasoning behind leaving the electric stop off while not on the track, but I had no idea people actually did that nor do I recall seeing Gary Heuer recommend doing something like that.

I completely remove the stop when I’m bracket racing because I’m usually running No-Box, but when it’s installed it is always energized while the ignition is on. I only switch it off during the first warmup of the event to check/adjust the cruise RPM. I wouldn’t want to have that as a potential thing to forget.

Good call on the relay, Vern. I ignored that instruction and won but in Bowling Green on a time run it was very lazy to open. Ran the stop wire through a relay and the change in close/open speed was stunning.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3160 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Whatever works for you but for me/us, I see no reason to power the throttle stop solenoid while warming up, driving to the lanes and driving back from the ticket booth. We also remove the throttle stop when bracket racing. As far as remembering to move a toggle switch to power up the throttle stop before you cross the ready line. That’s the least of things you need to remember to do before staging.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Okay, first of all. Lincoln, I do have a backup switch but I reset the box after I back up. I back up, flip the cover down on the backup switch, reset box, put the car in low gear and hit the button for the throttle enhancer. Stage, hit transbrake button and leave the line.

Ed,

I will just have to remind myself to toggle the box before I pull in the water. I’ll try it in Vegas and see how it works out but I didn’t care for the solenoid getting warm the other day when I started the car. It didn’t get hot but I guess I’m just used to the air.

We will see.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Vern, if you think you will forget, don’t wait that long, turn the power on for the throttle stop as soon as you park in the staging lanes and then shut the master disconnect switch off.

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
If you are considering this just to air up your slicks in the lanes, it’s a great deal less space and time to add a simple compressor with switch and available 1/4” nylon hose. I used a dash switch for mine, tucked it behind the seat and ran the tubing to the rear. 100% functional solution. Most any pump will work like this.
Dynaplug Ultra Compact 12 volt Tire Inflator - Micro Pro Model https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0...V1FJGTQQCPYM8KPZVDE9

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:
If you are considering this just to air up your slicks in the lanes, it’s a great deal less space and time to add a simple compressor with switch and available 1/4” nylon hose. I used a dash switch for mine, tucked it behind the seat and ran the tubing to the rear. 100% functional solution. Most any pump will work like this.
Dynaplug Ultra Compact 12 volt Tire Inflator - Micro Pro Model https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0...V1FJGTQQCPYM8KPZVDE9

I bet that little pump would take forever to air up a big slick.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4017 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:
Originally posted by adv ET 266:

I bet that little pump would take forever to air up a big slick.

Yes it would from a flat tire, but I never used it for that. Just when stuck in the lanes (from some track issue like an oil down) and temperature drop lowers pressure some.
Back at my trailer, I had a bottle of air I used to go over pressure a tad. I tried to remove all stress issues in the lanes like air when a delay occurred. Not a solution for all or many but could be something that would help a few. Adding a pound of air tool maybe 2 minutes on the $25 pump I had.

2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12173 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post