Find
Notify
Tools

Startup
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted
The Hay Hauler hasn't been started in almost 2 years. Should we remove the plugs and lubricate the cylinders with miracle oil or something?
We are moving it to my son's new shop where the engine will be pulled and freshened up.
TIA

Posts: 4815 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
use 1 gallon of gas, dowse generously about and around hay hauler then use some type of spark or flame ignitor. Afterwhich, stand back, safety first. Falling of chair laughing Laughing very hard

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Ed. I really appreciate your creative answer. I have been kinda nice to you lately but that kind of an insult requires retribution. Watch your butt. Super Angry

Posts: 4815 | Location: Cucamonga, Ca | Registered: May 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
a little lube and coil unhooked wouldn't hurt. Fresh gasoline would be a good thing. Check oil. Fire at will. Sorry Will.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6396 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bucky.
I have a separate start button for adjusting the valves without the ignition on.
Oil is Lucas 20-50 racing oil with about 10 passes on it. I put some of that Stabil fuel additive in the tank but I will add some fresh stuff too.
Ed just can't help being an *******.

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Wing it over to prime the oil pump and send it.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1645 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
Despite the fact that you are going to freshen, Pull the distributor and prime it, pull the plugs and spray some WD and bump it around while spinning the primer. 2 years is a good amount of time and you never know what parts you are going to use again, so a prime is worth it.
The other scumbag...... well not so worth it.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Pull out the distributor and prime the oiling system. Pull the plugs and just bump the motor over several revolutions a little at a time while priming the oil system. Put plugs back in, install the distributor and fire it up.

Posts: 318 | Location: ohio | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Thanks Y'all. Very helpful.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Floyd, I think I would be more concerned with the seals drying out than the metals parts Most racing oils have plenty of zinc in them to coat the surfaces. My car is parked alot now also, I start it every couple months or so, let it heat soak for a little while and put it back to bed. With you going to rebuild it, I wouldnt be to concerned with the seals as you will be replacing them.

Posts: 296 | Location: Nevada | Registered: February 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
Just fired my motor that had been sitting since 2015 a few months ago. All I did was prime it and she lit off without issue

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 456 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
it's ridiculous that this guy who is as old as dirt and claims to be a bracket racer for decades, needs to ask what to do here. Clearly he don't know much and has no friends who could inform him of something he should know or at least be able to figure out as this is engines 101, no mind the concern about startup for engine that he implies is only being started to load it up to be moved so the engine can be pulled and freshened. Didn't think of that

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
Wing it over to prime the oil pump and send it.

I agree with that but be careful sometimes carb gaskets can dry up and leak bad. Or needle and seat stick and then you have a potential for fire.

Also I recommend with any motor, compressor, generator or what ever to spin it over and start it up once a month or so to keep cylinder walls lubricated and prevent light surface rust as moisture condenses especially in cooler weather.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4002 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
With electric water pumps, Make sure you have coolant or water in the system and give it about 20-30 minutes of coninous run time. You do not need to have the engine running for this. You may get a small weep from the weep hole but it should go away.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 238 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If you’re going to freshen it I’d just winch it onto trailer

Posts: 387 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Ed,
You continue to be a complete *******. Have you ever considered just keeping your mouth shut and just moving on to the next conversation? Or is this just how you attract attention to your inferior personality problem. You need counseling.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Floyd, you continue to us all how clueless you are about the most basic things related to bracket cars, engines, etc. Why do you continue to post here, you have nothing of relevance to add to any technical conversation.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
Ed,
I continue to post here because unlike you, I have some good friends on this site. I have never been kicked off of a site like you have and most of us have meaning full conversations unlike you.

Did your parents have any kids that lived?

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Floyd Staggs
posted Hide Post
I am tired of this constant petty coments from the mis informed.
Ed, you are now blocked. Do me a favor and block me as well.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd Staggs:
I am tired of this constant petty coments from the mis informed.
Ed, you are now blocked. Do me a favor and block me as well.

Floyd, I can't believe you gave in! He's not going to block you & it will not stop.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2541 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post