Find
Notify
Tools

Carb vs. MFI
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Wallace Cleaver
posted
Has anyone changed from MFI back to a carb? If so, alky to alky, what ET or performance difference did you experience?

Multi-time First round runner up extraordinaire

Posts: 2559 | Location: UT | Registered: January 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Yes I have, it didn’t slow much. Mostly was running S/C.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 4579 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Added note if I get a chance I’ll look it up and post it.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 4579 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
Go to a AA meeting and get some help,lol

Posts: 1700 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
When I went from carb to MFI Enderle hat the hat was about .15 faster if I remember right. Same motor and everything else.
Carb was easier to start, tune and to footbrake and uses less fuel but MFI is faster. Choose your poison.

https://postimg.org/image/jlu721ppb/84308b10/
"Our products are not designed for ED, they are designed for COMPETITIVE RACERS"

2X SHRA NE2 CHAMPION.

Posts: 1187 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I went from a 2 1/2” Hilborn stack setup to a 850 BLP carb, on a 406 SBC. Went from 8.80’s to 9.00’s. Both alcohol.

MFI was faster, but the Carb was much easier in the staging lanes.

Posts: 12 | Location: Midwest  | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Stephen Hughes
posted Hide Post
Mine showed 45-50 hp different on dyno with two different engines, 565, 598. About .08 to .10 slower at the 1/8 with carb. In 8.90 trim it was 4 mph or so faster with injection. This is typical 4.75-4.80 dragster.

Posts: 299 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Wallace Cleaver
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents! We got this stack setup working well at the end of the season, but even with a primer, its a pain to start. Also, since I drive mine up and back, I am really worried about rocks getting in the ram tubes. Have found a few small ones after getting back from a pass. Was thinking about going back to a carb to make life easier since I run this old thing by myself. I will take all of your info to heart. Thank you!

Multi-time First round runner up extraordinaire

Posts: 2559 | Location: UT | Registered: January 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
Wallace,
Do a little hunting. You likely can get some screen covers for those stacks.

The redneck version is some screen wire tie wrapped around them.

Starting: Should not be that big of a problem.
When you get a minute, call me and we will kick it around.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 185 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wallace Cleaver:
Thanks gents! We got this stack setup working well at the end of the season, but even with a primer, its a pain to start. Also, since I drive mine up and back, I am really worried about rocks getting in the ram tubes. Have found a few small ones after getting back from a pass. Was thinking about going back to a carb to make life easier since I run this old thing by myself. I will take all of your info to heart. Thank you!

I built a primer system and it helps a lot. the thing it is it is touchy. Do not hit it long enough before you turn it over it does not want to start or hit it too long it is hard to start.
I run an Enderle hat and I have the rock screen between hat and tunnel ram.
Some people make a filter screen to go over their tubes and remove them before the run. I would not want to run the tube style at one of the tracks I race at small rocks everywhere and my tires just pick them up and throw them. If you built one right I do not think a screen over the top would hurt performance in any way and would stop any rocks from getting in.

https://postimg.org/image/jlu721ppb/84308b10/
"Our products are not designed for ED, they are designed for COMPETITIVE RACERS"

2X SHRA NE2 CHAMPION.

Posts: 1187 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wallace Cleaver:

I'd play around with the primer setup and method before you throw in the towel on injection. Like Curly said the primers can be a bit touchy but once you figure out what your engine needs it shouldn't be a big deal.

On my car it helps to kill the alcohol and give it a sniff of gas when I shut it off. Then when I restart I push the starter button then turn the primer on right after and it's basically immediately running. It's harder to restart if I don't give it the sniff of gas when shutting it off.

I think you should look for some type of screen to put over the stacks.

Posts: 94 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
On my car it helps to kill the alcohol and give it a sniff of gas when I shut it off. Then when I restart I push the starter button then turn the primer on right after and it's basically immediately running. It's harder to restart if I don't give it the sniff of gas when shutting it off.

Good tip. I drive most of the way back to the trailer on alcohol, but switch back to gas when my trailer is in sight. That way I know the alky lines will be empty when I kill the engine, and it will also be easier to start the next time.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 2381 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
Wallace is a nice guy, but he is a millennium so instant gratification is a must. Making a comprehensive plan for improvement has been quite a challenge in the past for Wallace. If he makes a change, and it doesn’t work, his next move is whatever the guy who is pitting next to him suggests, without any thought or regard for a logical master plan. If that doesn’t work, then the solution is to buy a new part. If that part doesn’t work, then there must be another new part somewhere that will fix it.

The reason I post this is to ask that your thoughts be with Wallace as he struggles to find a positive path of improvement in his racing program. Cool

Posts: 173 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
My lil brother did this. What can I say you buy them books ,send them to school and they grow up and run carbs.Kids now days. Ok he's 40 in week and old enough to make his own mistakes,but this was 5 or 6 years ago.

Now hes gone VW on us.He is running low 5's with 1.6 liter(what ever that is) in 1700 lb car.But that hair dryer equipped so totally different animal.

Serious side for second. Alky injection car ran best of 5.01.With carb the best he went was 5.17. So the .15 or very close difference others seem to have seen.

http://www.schooledbyscotty.com/
Only the stupid know too much to learn something new.
Chris McBride

deplorables saving america one vote at a time

Posts: 1032 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
my experience is 8% more power with alky injection over a decent gas carb

opinions are worth what you pay for them
1.015,2.88,4.46@ 153

Posts: 481 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post