DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Powerglide 1.98 vs 1.80
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powerglide 1.98 vs 1.80
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
The specs: 540 BBC, 10 teens for ET and 131 Mph, 4.30 rear gear, 29.5 x 10.5 tires, currently 1.98 low gear PG. Shifts at 6500 and traps at 6500. I went with the 1.98 because the car weighs 3550 lbs.

Wanting to know if switching to a 1.80 would help or hurt my combo either in ET or MPH.

Thanks

Posts: 53 | Location: ON Canada | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
sounds to me like it would hurt it as far as ET goes

question though... what does your convertor flash to? shifting at 6500 is probably making the shift fall back into the convertor

Posts: 785 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
On my playback it flashes to 5500. Not sure if it's possible, but it used to flash to 5200, but I changed the cam over the winter and picked up 3 tenths and now it flashes to 5500.

Posts: 53 | Location: ON Canada | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I am not sure but you need to make sure the 1.98 are strong enough to handle it. some of the gear ratios can not handle it.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3990 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you got a convertor that flashed at 6100 and shifted at 7000 i believe you will see a big ET difference

Posts: 785 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
Buddy of mine just went through this testing last weekend. Car slowed down a tenth or more going from the 1.98 to the 1.80. 3400 lb 66 Chevelle with a 582. Runs 9.0's in the 1/4 mile.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post