DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Who's sbc oil pump do you like?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's sbc oil pump do you like?
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Sounds good. To be more specific on the depth of the pickup clearance in relation to the bottom of the pan concerning the combination of part #'s we've discussed. If you look at the design of the pickup, the screen is recessed. This will be the distance from the bottom of the pan because on my old pan I can see the four witness marks caused by the lowest points on the pickup. I know this depth is perfect, as I've said previously it'll tell you when the engine is a quarter of a quart low on oil, when you step off at the finish line. 45 psi hot at idle, medium spring.

Good luck, you'll like it. Everything is good about this combination of parts.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Now you all have me thinking. My 427 little m block engine has a m55hv pump with a moroso kick out pan with no baffles. It never drops oil pressure in the shut down , It has restrictors and bushed lifter bores. My 421 dart aluminum block SB2 headed motor has almost the same pan with baffles and trap door and the billet melling pump and no oil restrictors. It drops pressure all most as soon as you lift and turns on the red light set at 20 p.s.i so im out of gear and killing the motor because it can't be good for the bearings.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NFC:
Now you all have me thinking. My 427 little m block engine has a m55hv pump with a moroso kick out pan with no baffles. It never drops oil pressure in the shut down , It has restrictors and bushed lifter bores. My 421 dart aluminum block SB2 headed motor has almost the same pan with baffles and trap door and the billet melling pump and no oil restrictors. It drops pressure all most as soon as you lift and turns on the red light set at 20 p.s.i so im out of gear and killing the motor because it can't be good for the bearings.

Have you tried making a test lap with one too many yet?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The part # for the pan says 7qts. tried 8 but did not seem to help any.

Posts: 337 | Location: up on the wheel | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NFC:
The part # for the pan says 7qts. tried 8 but did not seem to help any.

I did a 4.00 stroke x 4.165 bore 23 sbc all parts matching the same week I did my 3.875 x 4.185 427 for a guy who pitted with us 2008. Same block, crank, rods etc etc. I suggested the Milodon 5 quart pan I use, I did his restricters per Darts suggestion, same as I did mine (LiL M block). He didn't think 5 quarts was enough so he chose a Moroso box pan I guess they call it. This thing had doors and screens in it. He was up to 8 quarts of oil in this thing before pressure quit dropping in shutdown. Same cast Melling pump I was using at the time. Same spring, same clearances.

Come to think of it. It may have been 9 quarts, I think I stopped paying attention a 8 quarts is how it went. I just messaged him to see if he remembers. He's now on the 5 quart Milodon and Melling billet pump the same as I am.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,