DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Goodyear new tires win Ardmore 1st day
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goodyear new tires win Ardmore 1st day
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
Originally posted by 329L:
Things to take away from this post...
1. I suck at tuning a 4.40 car because I broke an input shaft with junk ass BR3s in only 20 runs.
2. Still hard to read through these posts with all the bull***

Torqin
Do the Goodyears seem ANY different than mickeys or did Goodyear copy? My feeling on Big bubbas is that compound is a little for cool for cool/moist weather, is Goodyears more aggressive?

The only way I know that you could brake an input shaft in 20 runs (unless it was defective or the wrong one) is tire shake!

We all know GY tried to reverse engineer the Bubbas! And who won't! Wink

Bottom line, currently the MT Bubbas are the tire with the widest tuning window bare none! You can slice it anyway you want.

100% correct. The br3s acted like a bubba on **** tracks, didn't shake, and were kinda fast. But on a track that had ANY kind of hook at .5 seconds, and it sucked the life out of everything and shook. Even if I had the bottle blazing trying to run 4.30s. Im just interested in the Goodyears if they are a better cold weather tire, much like what happens with door cars.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 701 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
1. I suck at tuning a 4.40 car because I broke an input shaft with junk ass BR3s in only 20 runs.
2. Still hard to read through these posts with all the bull***

Torqin
Do the Goodyears seem ANY different than mickeys or did Goodyear copy? My feeling on Big bubbas is that compound is a little for cool for cool/moist weather, is Goodyears more aggressive?

The only way I know that you could brake an input shaft in 20 runs (unless it was defective or the wrong one) is tire shake!

We all know GY tried to reverse engineer the Bubbas! And who wouldn't! Wink

Bottom line, currently the MT Bubbas are the tire with the widest tuning window bare none! You can slice it anyway you want.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is the whole deal right there. The Hoosier tires for most of us worked decent but was brutal on tire shake and breaking parts.
MT tires eliminated that problem on my car and was faster to. In addition the MT tires worked better in wider temperature range than the Hosiers I ran for years.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3962 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Guys the Goodyear's are close...they felt similar to the Bubba's and ran same et and mph.

On good track they are awesome right now...on mediocre track and worse they were mediocre and the Bubba's were very good.

They are impressive for an r&d tire and behavior is similar to Bubba's. This tire isn't released to sell yet. The factory is just opened back up and it will be some time b4 the tires become available.

They are close and some refinements and I think the tire can compete. Availability is going to be an issue for short periods. I will have them with me for sure at upcoming races.

Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
On good track they are awesome right now...on mediocre track and worse they were mediocre and the Bubba's were very good.

Being on worse for wear tracks is why I would likely keep on going back to my Mickey's when we only keep one set per car and no spare tires. Plus, being we run the smaller Mickey, is GY going to be making a similar tire to the 3190/3191 also? If they come out with a smaller one and get some sets sent out and around with good results, I would maybe consider trying them one time or getting a group of people to go in on a set around here and we can all toss them around on a couple different cars.

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Seems all the tires companies R&D effort for 4 link dragsters go into a tire that works best with way more power than most of the bracket racers have or use.

I wish GY (or hoosier or MT) would make a tire for milder BBC, stout SBC etc that are in a typical 4 link dragster with 15" wheels that runs in the 4.80 to 5.00 range. This tire would need to be tallish 105-106 rollout but not too wide and heavy. Right now there isn't a tire like that. All the companies try to pass off old technology tires that are way big and heavy for these applications. While they work usually these tires are not fast and consistency isn't as good as it could be.

Scott

Posts: 1838 | Location: Illinois | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
I don't know if Goodyear is making the smaller tire at this time.

I agree it's clear the giant 17 inch wind tires are not required but the window of sizes has narrowed for the slower requirement.

Posts: 1749 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 358T:
Seems all the tires companies R&D effort for 4 link dragsters go into a tire that works best with way more power than most of the bracket racers have or use.

I wish GY (or hoosier or MT) would make a tire for milder BBC, stout SBC etc that are in a typical 4 link dragster with 15" wheels that runs in the 4.80 to 5.00 range. This tire would need to be tallish 105-106 rollout but not too wide and heavy. Right now there isn't a tire like that. All the companies try to pass off old technology tires that are way big and heavy for these applications. While they work usually these tires are not fast and consistency isn't as good as it could be.

Scott

They do, 3080 3084.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 358T:

Scott

They do, 3080 3084.

Rollout is ok on a 3084 but is too big (wide) and is heavy along with the old school thought process of over tire a car. The 3080 wasn't designed for a dragster application. I checked into that tire when it came out and was advised against it. Since then though now i seen and noticed people do use them with success on a dragster. But if as much effort was put into this area of potential customers as is put into the top dragster or super fast bracket dragsters then that is what I am talking about.

Scott

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 358T,

Posts: 1838 | Location: Illinois | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post