DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Alcohol carb vs injection - thoughts, advice and opinions welcome
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alcohol carb vs injection - thoughts, advice and opinions welcome
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of botmbulb
posted Hide Post
Multiport EFI FTW, especially with alcohol. Cold starts and warmup is simple, just crank it over and let it run. No carb cleaner, Primer Plus, or leanout valve needed. No starter kickback. Plus, it comes with a better datalogger than a Racepak and a better ignition than a Grid. I have a couple of customers on alcohol, and they behave and sound like they're on gas (only use a half a gallon per 1/4 mile run and warmup). Plus, it footbrakes better than MFI.

Posts: 490 | Location: Hammonton, N.J. | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What brand do you recommend?

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the writer and do not reflect the views or opinions of any entity other than myself.

72 Nova 370 ci (Stealth Black)

Posts: 394 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: July 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of botmbulb
posted Hide Post
Holley EFI. PM me for more info.

Posts: 490 | Location: Hammonton, N.J. | Registered: March 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rick!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by botmbulb:
Multiport EFI FTW, especially with alcohol. Cold starts and warmup is simple, just crank it over and let it run. No carb cleaner, Primer Plus, or leanout valve needed. No starter kickback. Plus, it comes with a better datalogger than a Racepak and a better ignition than a Grid. I have a couple of customers on alcohol, and they behave and sound like they're on gas (only use a half a gallon per 1/4 mile run and warmup). Plus, it footbrakes better than MFI.

That took a long time to get mentioned. I put a Holley system on my brother's SPro to replace the EFI Technologies (Motorvation) system. Usually eats about 3/4 -1 gallon of alcohol in a 1/4, a bit less in the 1/8th at 7.80's and 4.90's respectively. I'd give Haltech a look as it's data acquisition is much more configurable for recording rate and selectable parameters. (One doesn't need a data file with over 390 columns of zeros (490 total columns) for each run.)

On the tuning side for either EFI system - once idle fueling is set, one powerbrake up to 6500ish and 3-4 laps on closed loop/learn and you can be ready to race. Hiring a tuner for a day is money well invested.

Posts: 81 | Location: behind this screen | Registered: July 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
fwiw: I have no practical experience with efi/methanol. I have been hands-on during a direct comparison between MFI and a well built methanol carb setup on a stout 598" BBC w/conventional heads. The customer brought his tuner for the MFI and their best tune-up was established. The intake manifold was changed to an unported Super Victor with a 1250-ish methanol carb. When the carb was properly tuned; the net power difference was less than 1% - in favor of MFI. The customer chose MFI because he liked the looks of the bugcatcher setup. I get it - I like it too. He's struggled with consistency but doesn't care... At the end of the day, it's very hard to beat a well built carb setup...

Mike Laws Performance

Posts: 33 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
Carb gets my vote...

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
If switching to injection, stay with the Rons stuff. It takes WAY less than other injection systems to run good, be DEADLY consistent, and start easy. Been running alky since the mid 90s and a good alky carb is hard to beat, but a good running injection system is way easier to mess with. I rarely change the pill all season, and only have to tweak the barrel valve to keep the idle where i like it. Injection isnt for everybody, but can be a really good option for bracket racers. I personally like it because i have 1 injection system, and 2 fuel pumps, and can put my system on any engine between 700 and 1500 hp. I dont know of ANY alky or gas carb that can do that.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 708 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I switched from gas carb to alky injection, also using a ron's system. I couldn't be happier with it, car is a new beast on alky. even though the tune isn't perfect yet, the car repeats better than it did on gas, and is easier to predict. I had it pretty well tuned on gas. Fun part now is I get to start over moving back to Colorado from Florida...no more air....yay!

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Mark Whitener,

I have a couple of questions. I’ll try to give you a buzz tomorrow.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of RacerVX54
posted Hide Post
5.782 on the brakes would of ran a 76
5.756 no idea 60s and 330 where dead on
5.766 .003 red
Next day
5.80 some thing is going on got lucky and won
5.90 all out something hurt

Sv1 pro systems carb.. Electric fuel pump.. 60 foots varied .005 3 day weekend

"Just Shut Up and Race"

Brian Martin
Martin Racing
5.66 @121.55

Posts: 1395 | Location: Va.Beach .Va | Registered: August 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It's difficult to get anyone to lay down 7 slips for viewing.

This is a 750 Bo Laws with a 850 base, methanol carb.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post